Rolling Thunder Forums

The further Adventures of

hobknob

This is just another battle in the Bombay saga. I will retool and rebuild for the next battle. I am sure the next battle will have it's own twist, but maybe the Flag Bridge will work better or I will have my side last long enough for them to kick in. I certainly expected a different result, but it is what it is. I asked Pete to check the results before I posted and he did.

We will now wait to see what next turn brings, or perhaps it will be the following turn. In any event, this is not the end of the matter.

Rest assured, I will post the next battle as well.

:rolleyes::cheers:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least Pete has inlightened us now, that Falg bridges need a "spin up" time, which was never mentioned in the description nor in any other comment by Pete on the Flag Bridge issue.

I am pretty interested how the Mk VI Flag Bridge performs.

Well at least Pete has inlightened us now, that Falg bridges need a "spin up" time, which was never mentioned in the description nor in any other comment by Pete on the Flag Bridge issue.

I am pretty interested how the Mk VI Flag Bridge performs.

Yes, curious that as that never was mentioned by him earlier either, seems Flag Bridge Equipment is crank operated :rolleyes:

We'll see as I'm about to field test my Mk VIs as well...

/Locklyn

Pete has always wanted us to figure things out the hard way. Nothing new there. This instance is pretty mild IMO. Sometimes his "clues" are truly bizarre and unfathomable.

Looking forward to your Mk VI tests should you share them.

It is just a bit "funny" how he has penalized the one system that he designed to counter screens!? Pete entered the "speedup" code in combats with a lot of screens, this code seems to instantly multiply Fire Control and Firepower on both sides to hasten the combat by reducing the number of rounds it would take to finish it. A flag bridge seems to reassess targets every round, to find the most valuable targets so to say, and apparently as we have just been told, needs some rounds to crank it up. This means that a flag bridge ship is penalised by the code by giving it less rounds to find its targets as the "speedup" code has perhaps raised the initial fire control by a factor of 100+. In Hobknobs battle his two capitals spent their time shooting down screens with their fire control and fire power raised while their flag bridge was spinning up. The other side has its fire control and firepower raised as well meaning that their capital ships poured all their fire immediately into the two capital ships. Had there not been a "speedup" then the capital flag bridge ships would have had more turns to reassess the targets and find the proper ones before being destroyed without landing a single shot on a capital ship. Do you see the issue I have with this? It forces you to bring your own screens along for the purpose of the "speedup" code, to have a fair chance, and it would have been nice to have been told about the spinup effect of these since Pete has championed Flag Bridges as the ultimate screen killer.

/Locklyn

Unfortunately although I've studied everything I've found on the subject, I don't know exactly how the combat system really works, so I can't say whether it is a good system or a bad system. There could be many variables involved. Just to make some wild guesses, it could take ships a random amount of time to become fully operational in battle, or maybe the crew grade and/or morale and/or Admirals are bigger factors than we can readily see, or I don't know. Insufficient data.

It is just a bit "funny" how he has penalized the one system that he designed to counter screens!? Pete entered the "speedup" code in combats with a lot of screens, this code seems to instantly multiply Fire Control and Firepower on both sides to hasten the combat by reducing the number of rounds it would take to finish it. A flag bridge seems to reassess targets every round, to find the most valuable targets so to say, and apparently as we have just been told, needs some rounds to crank it up. This means that a flag bridge ship is penalised by the code by giving it less rounds to find its targets as the "speedup" code has perhaps raised the initial fire control by a factor of 100+. In Hobknobs battle his two capitals spent their time shooting down screens with their fire control and fire power raised while their flag bridge was spinning up. The other side has its fire control and firepower raised as well meaning that their capital ships poured all their fire immediately into the two capital ships. Had there not been a "speedup" then the capital flag bridge ships would have had more turns to reassess the targets and find the proper ones before being destroyed without landing a single shot on a capital ship. Do you see the issue I have with this? It forces you to bring your own screens along for the purpose of the "speedup" code, to have a fair chance, and it would have been nice to have been told about the spinup effect of these since Pete has championed Flag Bridges as the ultimate screen killer.

/Locklyn

So the short version of what you are saying is, the Flag Bridge has a small chance to target the screens instead of the bigger ships, if it does target screens, the Speed up program keeps it on screens for several rounds.

So it depends on length of battle and types of ships in the fleets if this hurts the flag bridge side. The longer the battle the less difference the speed up program will hurt, but then again the random factor does make the battles interesting.

I wonder if the flag bridges would work better if one were to include things like sensors , mass detector sensors , FFS , FCS , and other such systems that would augment the functionality of the targeting system of the flag bridge .

Don't believe so, as Pete has before stated that sensors are a defensive system like any other. As for Mass Detector sensors and such, they seemed to be for detecting cloaked ships, which I think are still not working. I had a fuel tankage with an engine strapped to it detect a high end cloaked ship so...

Cheers

/Locklyn

Like I said , I was just wondering......only had a ship fire on another ship by accident once , and that was no contest , otherwise peaceful area , mine....I am surrounded by Cestvel on one position , and have yet to meet my neighbors on three other positions , so I am kind of a novice in what works and does not work in combat.....

My own (novice) understanding is that BIG & mega powerful (- and LOTS OF IT!!!!), in unending waves, usually does the trick. But then again, I'm only a bug flying towards a windscreen at the moment in game terms. What do I know....

Speaking from my view. My flagship was quite the biggest ship that has been fielded in the long battle between our groups. It is small by comparison to others that have been posted, but for our section of space it was quite large. What probably bugs me more than anything is that my flagship actually out massed the combined enemy forces yet only managed to destroy< 1M tons of shipping before being obliterated. That is truly a sad epithet to post on Fleet Admiral <needs name>'s grave. Now if I had managed to take out a couple of the enemy capital ships before going down, then it would have been a much softer blow.

As it was the forces were pretty evenly matched and it should have been an epic battle, but wasn't. The next battle will likely be rather one sided and less interesting.

:cheers: