Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 77

Glamdring

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my dear friends and enemies in game 77,

Our final turns have been processed now and the clock has stopped ticking. Considering all the game and real live challenges which we probably all encountered on the road to turn 73, I do realise that just making it to end is a great or maybe even the great achievement in itself. My compliments to all survivors!

I would like to thank all my opponents and of course my allies. In specific I would like to thank Austria and Czechoslowakia for the way they put up the fight to the very end. They could have stopped at an earlier stage, but decided to proceed and make us pay for every inch of territory. Thanks for creating a great war and therefore creating some of the best gameplay I have encountered so far in Victory!.

Untill we meet again,

Hersir

This game should be memorialized as a tribute to the prowess of the United States, Canada, and Iceland players. Just to demonstrate their dominance of the game here is the last World events report:

Canada has conquered xLublin from Czechoslovakia

Canada has conquered xDanzig from Southern Russia

United States has conquered xNachod from Czechoslovakia

United States has conquered xKomarno from Czechoslovakia

United States has conquered xPresov from Czechoslovakia

Iceland has conquered xCraiova from Austria

Iceland has conquered xKladovo from Greece

Iceland has conquered xVarna from Austria

Iceland has conquered xAnnaba from Egypt

Iceland has conquered xNasaud from Poland

Iceland has conquered xSlatina from Austria

Iceland has conquered xSofia from Greece

Iceland has conquered xDubrovnik from Greece

Does anyone know of a game where these three countries have EVER captured cities this deeply into Europe?

The Analytical and organizational prowess exhibited by these three players put them in a special class of Victory! players. It made me feel like a neighborhood basketball game and Michael Jordan just happened to drop by for a little one on one. We never had a chance and the only reason I survived to the end of the game was by being in a country on the total opposite ends of the earth from these players. If the game continued I suspect they would eventually capture all of the map. They are true professionals playing against 37 other amatuer players and the results back up my opinion.

Congratulations Gentlemen.

While reading the reports turn after turn, I kept thinking that the coordination of the group was very impressive. I thought that we were organized, but you guys (the NA3, as we called them) did a magnificent job of making sure all targets were gone at the end of every turn. Even if we had replacements ready to go and/or another stack waiting in the next province, it didn't help. For more than two dozen turns I watched as they systematically destroyed us one by one. Our group had most of Europe by mid game and at the end I was lucky to keep my own nation intact. If I made a run at them with my bombers, they were gone on the next turn. If I brought forces in on the ground to slow the advancement, they were gone quickly. When I sailed over 400 ships into the Atlantic to invade the US and Iceland, almost half (maybe more than half) of the ships were sunk before getting more than 1/3 of the way there by bombers that came from who knows where! It was truly amazing how they knew everything before I did it. I lost virtually all gained territory in Europe.

Very WELL DONE Gents! VERY WELL DONE!

:wub::laugh:

I have one question/caveat: How well you would have done without Denmark's EM's? Next time, do it all on your own turn sheets instead of running a dummy nation to accomplish such a great win. With all you did in this game, and don't get me wrong----it was impressive to see what you three were able to do within this game economically, industrially, and the battles were fantastic, this win will always be tainted by the Denmark EM's usage and the "Betrayal".

Without those Danish EM's would you have known where all my air bases were, known where all the ships were located, known that I had three full stacks of armor waiting for you as you passed through Austria and Northern Italy? Would you have been able to conquer so much territory if you didn't know exactly where to bomb every turn? This is why the accomplishments are tainted in my mind. Do not mistake these comments as ones coming from the player who got the short end.....I am not the only who thinks this way....even those who didn't play this game and have read this forum have made the exact same comments to me via private email or message. Your game play is impeccable gentlemen. How you got there, however, may be somewhat questionable.

David

To my dear friends and enemies in game 77,

Our final turns have been processed now and the clock has stopped ticking. Considering all the game and real live challenges which we probably all encountered on the road to turn 73, I do realise that just making it to end is a great or maybe even the great achievement in itself. My compliments to all survivors!

I would like to thank all my opponents and of course my allies. In specific I would like to thank Austria and Czechoslowakia for the way they put up the fight to the very end. They could have stopped at an earlier stage, but decided to proceed and make us pay for every inch of territory. Thanks for creating a great war and therefore creating some of the best gameplay I have encountered so far in Victory!.

Untill we meet again,

Hersir

Hi David,

First of all thank you for your compliments, I really appreciate the way everyone is ending this game.

As for Denmark. Yes we did use it as a dummy account, but only after we were 2/3 of the way in. That's what, 2 years? I'm not sure exactly when Denmark did stop playing. However we never intended to use it that way, it just played out that way. The EM missions were actually orders we used to fill up the ordersheet. The main reason we kept playing Denmark was for the battlereports. Those battlereports and the way we shifted in time during the turn kept us 1 step ahead of those opponents we were fighting at that time. That also meant that we had skip 1 turn, just to keep ahead.

We started this game with 3 people; USA, Canada & Denmark. After 15 turns or so Iceland who we knew from previous games contacted us. The coalition he was in did not function well. There was a lack of coordination and communication. The reasons why are not important here.

Originally we intended to invade either Portugal or Morocco. Our entire industry and production was laid out to start the invasion on T45. On T45 we would have been able to put 90 divisions ashore, that turn...

However, after talking with Iceland we decided to alter our plans and to proceed with only half of that amount and invade GB. Yes we took advantage of the fact that Iceland could cede Canada a port city, in Scotland. However, if you look at the battlereports, and progress, you could have seen me invading the south, alone. And creating a stronghold by myself.

The main reason GB lost this war was because he divided his attention between Canada and me. Were he should have concentrated on me alone. Canada was fighting in the mountains and progress is slow there. While I was fighting in the plains and took as much territory as I could to disrupt AIC networks. But because of the little amount of damage I took and Canada took we were able to expand and destroy his forces.

Had GB and his allies focused on destroying our fleets we would never have come this far. But they didn't and we exploited that.

With GB and Ireland secured we could focus on the mainland. But here still we were vulnerable. If our fleets were attacked we would have been crippled. But here again our fleets were left alone.

The rest, as they say, is history.

NA3.

While reading the reports turn after turn, I kept thinking that the coordination of the group was very impressive. I thought that we were organized, but you guys (the NA3, as we called them) did a magnificent job of making sure all targets were gone at the end of every turn. Even if we had replacements ready to go and/or another stack waiting in the next province, it didn't help. For more than two dozen turns I watched as they systematically destroyed us one by one. Our group had most of Europe by mid game and at the end I was lucky to keep my own nation intact. If I made a run at them with my bombers, they were gone on the next turn. If I brought forces in on the ground to slow the advancement, they were gone quickly. When I sailed over 400 ships into the Atlantic to invade the US and Iceland, almost half (maybe more than half) of the ships were sunk before getting more than 1/3 of the way there by bombers that came from who knows where! It was truly amazing how they knew everything before I did it. I lost virtually all gained territory in Europe.

Very WELL DONE Gents! VERY WELL DONE!

:wub::laugh:

I have one question/caveat: How well you would have done without Denmark's EM's? Next time, do it all on your own turn sheets instead of running a dummy nation to accomplish such a great win. With all you did in this game, and don't get me wrong----it was impressive to see what you three were able to do within this game economically, industrially, and the battles were fantastic, this win will always be tainted by the Denmark EM's usage and the "Betrayal".

Without those Danish EM's would you have known where all my air bases were, known where all the ships were located, known that I had three full stacks of armor waiting for you as you passed through Austria and Northern Italy? Would you have been able to conquer so much territory if you didn't know exactly where to bomb every turn? This is why the accomplishments are tainted in my mind. Do not mistake these comments as ones coming from the player who got the short end.....I am not the only who thinks this way....even those who didn't play this game and have read this forum have made the exact same comments to me via private email or message. Your game play is impeccable gentlemen. How you got there, however, may be somewhat questionable.

David

CD-

I appreciate your position and being so forthcoming. Thanks for the response. I wish I could have gotten my ships out into the Atlantic much earlier to fight you. It would have been interesting. (I had over 1000 ships at one point in this game.) At that time it was crucial, you were not yet a threat to Egypt and myself, who were both immersed in a battle for North Africa and the Med. At one point, no one could put a ship in the water in the med without me/us knowing about it and if you were at war with me, getting it sunk. Portugal even made a comment about it on the forums. Tunisia and I were intertwined in an epic struggle to control the med and the control did sway back and forth more than a few times. The battles that raged at sea, in the air and on the beaches of Sicily, Crete, Sardinia, and within the Boot were very much fun, hopefully for both of us. Tunisia did not post on the forums, but I hope he reads them.....because I would like to tip my hat to his game play as well. He did a great job of fighting Egypt and I until the bitter end. I actually took xTunis by sea on two occasions and he had to repel my forces. All the while, Egypt kept creeping across Libya and eventually crushed him on his home soil. But all of this took precious time and resources away from potentially helping out in the fight against the NA3. By the time we finished off Tunisia in North Africa and the Med, you three had become entrenched in Great Britain, Ireland and Western Europe. We/I tried to mount an offensive, but it was far too little and way too late. The deceptive email from Iceland offering me an Alliance was the straw that did it for me. We exchanged a couple of emails, mostly misinterpreted by both, leading to some very harsh words from me toward him. That I must apologize for.....that was way out of character for me. I don't lash out at people like that......Sorry Hersir. It was unacceptable behavior. I am just glad that I did it privately and not for everyone to see on the forums.

Anyway, I had fun (until the last 5 turns! Just Kidding :laugh: ) all the way through. It was an interesting game and I definitely remembered the importance that the air force can play in a game. Reminded me of Game 41.

David

Hi David,

First of all thank you for your compliments, I really appreciate the way everyone is ending this game.

As for Denmark. Yes we did use it as a dummy account, but only after we were 2/3 of the way in. That's what, 2 years? I'm not sure exactly when Denmark did stop playing. However we never intended to use it that way, it just played out that way. The EM missions were actually orders we used to fill up the ordersheet. The main reason we kept playing Denmark was for the battlereports. Those battlereports and the way we shifted in time during the turn kept us 1 step ahead of those opponents we were fighting at that time. That also meant that we had skip 1 turn, just to keep ahead.

We started this game with 3 people; USA, Canada & Denmark. After 15 turns or so Iceland who we knew from previous games contacted us. The coalition he was in did not function well. There was a lack of coordination and communication. The reasons why are not important here.

Originally we intended to invade either Portugal or Morocco. Our entire industry and production was laid out to start the invasion on T45. On T45 we would have been able to put 90 divisions ashore, that turn...

However, after talking with Iceland we decided to alter our plans and to proceed with only half of that amount and invade GB. Yes we took advantage of the fact that Iceland could cede Canada a port city, in Scotland. However, if you look at the battlereports, and progress, you could have seen me invading the south, alone. And creating a stronghold by myself.

The main reason GB lost this war was because he divided his attention between Canada and me. Were he should have concentrated on me alone. Canada was fighting in the mountains and progress is slow there. While I was fighting in the plains and took as much territory as I could to disrupt AIC networks. But because of the little amount of damage I took and Canada took we were able to expand and destroy his forces.

Had GB and his allies focused on destroying our fleets we would never have come this far. But they didn't and we exploited that.

With GB and Ireland secured we could focus on the mainland. But here still we were vulnerable. If our fleets were attacked we would have been crippled. But here again our fleets were left alone.

The rest, as they say, is history.

NA3.

I reviewed some (Canada, Iceland, Southern Russia, Syria and United States) final turnsheets and I think you have all been a bit premature with the declaration of the victorious in this game.

We, Canada Iceland and United States, have been very succesful, but I think it was not enough. Russ will have the final answer and we have to wait for that.

My guess is that Southern Russia and Syria have won this game as an alliance.

Norbert

I reviewed some (Canada, Iceland, Southern Russia, Syria and United States) final turnsheets and I think you have all been a bit premature with the declaration of the victorious in this game.

We, Canada Iceland and United States, have been very succesful, but I think it was not enough. Russ will have the final answer and we have to wait for that.

Norbert

Maybe Egypt and Greece are willing to send you their turnsheets as well?

I can't stand the anticipation... A difference of less than 1.5% between NA3 and SR/Syria!

I would say: may the best team win. But I feel that we all are good and there is no best.

RUSS! HELP!

Nothing we can do now except... :laugh:

It won't be Greece. I was never able to shed my TA with Czech. If anything, Egypt's score will be better than mine.

Norbert

Maybe Egypt and Greece are willing to send you their turnsheets as well?

I can't stand the anticipation... A difference of less than 1.5% between NA3 and SR/Syria!

I would say: may the best team win. But I feel that we all are good and there is no best.

RUSS! HELP!

Nothing we can do now except... :laugh:

The scores are published!

The waiting is over.

My congratulations to Steve and Michael on a good and entertaining game!

It was close and fun.

Norbert

I'm a bit sad :nuke:

But my congratulations to Steve and Michael. It was a fun game and I learned a lot about naval logistics.. :beer:

I hope to see you guys in a new game, but that will be this year I'm afraid!

Don.