Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoy Confusion

Breoghan

Another "How the Hell does that work!?" category - :angry2: - though hopefully not as dumb as my last one.

Up until now I have been moving along reasonably contentedly using standing orders in lieu of convoy orders for as long as I have needed to move stuff around. It was when I noticed that I was having multiple sets of 'X' orders for the same fleets that I decided to bite the bullet and tidy things up. I ended up getting rid of 95% of my standing orders, duplicates and originals.

Downloading the Convoy supplement as I should have done months ago, it all looked pretty straight forward until I got to the bit about convoy priorities starting at 10 and moving along sequentially. The priority numbers just continue as they normally do when orders are entered - am I supposed to go in and change them or something? Is it just as case of me having to be aware of what would be step 10, 20, 30 etc. when I figure out what point I want the fleets to start from in the convoy? Does the program change and display these automatically for the following turn?

I read through the supplement three times now, and if the answer is there I'm just not seeing it. Anyone care to clear up my confusion?

Damn! The heading should have read "Convoy Confusion".

Another "How the Hell does that work!?" category - :angry2: - though hopefully not as dumb as my last one.

Up until now I have been moving along reasonably contentedly using standing orders in lieu of convoy orders for as long as I have needed to move stuff around. It was when I noticed that I was having multiple sets of 'X' orders for the same fleets that I decided to bite the bullet and tidy things up. I ended up getting rid of 95% of my standing orders, duplicates and originals.

Downloading the Convoy supplement as I should have done months ago, it all looked pretty straight forward until I got to the bit about convoy priorities starting at 10 and moving along sequentially. The priority numbers just continue as they normally do when orders are entered - am I supposed to go in and change them or something? Is it just as case of me having to be aware of what would be step 10, 20, 30 etc. when I figure out what point I want the fleets to start from in the convoy? Does the program change and display these automatically for the following turn?

I read through the supplement three times now, and if the answer is there I'm just not seeing it. Anyone care to clear up my confusion?

The first order you put in the convoy route is automatcially 10, the second 20 and so on. On every future turn, the route will be listed at the end of your turn, complete with sequence numbers. Any orders you add later will be added to the end of the route.

Convoy Route priority #'s start at 10 and then increase by 10's until the conclusion of the Convoy Route.

When you assign a fleet to a Convoy Route, you can choose the priority as part of the assignment, but be aware that the number you choose represents the LAST priiority that the fleet is assumed to have ALREADY executed. Thus, most of the time you'd just put a zero in that field, which means the last priority in the Convoy Route that the fleet is assumed to have executed is zero. The next time is starts up on the Convoy Route, it will look to the next priority in line, which is the first one, number 10.

The worst mistake you can make when making a new Convoy Route is to forget to close recording. Do not depend on the turn ending for that - always, always pair up those record/stop-recording orders. Those who forget get to join the Convoy Route Recording Disaster club - it's very prestigious, exclusive membership.....

Those who forget get to join the Convoy Route Recording Disaster club - it's very prestigious, exclusive membership.....

I think you mean inclusive, not exclusive, ha!

:woohoo::angry2:

Those who forget get to join the Convoy Route Recording Disaster club - it's very prestigious, exclusive membership.....

I dispute the "exclusive" tag but, as I am an active member of this club, I support the "prestigious" tag! :angry2:

Breoghan,

You do not have to go in and change the order numbers manually. The first order that you put into the convoy route gets priority 10, the second 20 etc once your orders are processed. If you start a second convoy route, those orders will also start with priority 10, 20, 30.

All this has nothing to do with order numbers in the turn entry program, so you should not look at those at all in order to find out what priority your convoy orders will get.

Calamaran.

Gold Card Member of the "Convoy Route Recording Disaster club"

I sure wish Pete would add an order that would unconditionally close any convoy route that was open for recording. Then we could add that as our first standing order, and not have to worry about a typo royally screwing up our turns.

Breoghan,

You do not have to go in and change the order numbers manually. The first order that you put into the convoy route gets priority 10, the second 20 etc once your orders are processed. If you start a second convoy route, those orders will also start with priority 10, 20, 30.

All this has nothing to do with order numbers in the turn entry program, so you should not look at those at all in order to find out what priority your convoy orders will get.

Calamaran.

Gold card?

GOLD CARD???!?

Hmmm, I guess my frequency of club participation has not gotten me this very priviledged status.......yet.

Anyone care to admit to platimun level membership? I got that level ages ago for the 'Fouled Up Build Orders' Club. FUBC for short.

Octus

Breoghan,

Calamaran.

Gold card?

GOLD CARD???!?

Hmmm, I guess my frequency of club participation has not gotten me this very priviledged status.......yet.

Anyone care to admit to platimun level membership? I got that level ages ago for the 'Fouled Up Build Orders' Club. FUBC for short.

Octus

I guess I would be a member of that level. I have managed to give the same name to two different convoy routes. Fortunately I caught it after only one turn was run and Pete helped straighten it out.

Oh I have the FUBC Star with Oak Leaf Clusters too. :beer:

Convoy Route priority #'s start at 10 and then increase by 10's until the conclusion of the Convoy Route.

When you assign a fleet to a Convoy Route, you can choose the priority as part of the assignment, but be aware that the number you choose represents the LAST priiority that the fleet is assumed to have ALREADY executed. Thus, most of the time you'd just put a zero in that field, which means the last priority in the Convoy Route that the fleet is assumed to have executed is zero. The next time is starts up on the Convoy Route, it will look to the next priority in line, which is the first one, number 10.

The worst mistake you can make when making a new Convoy Route is to forget to close recording. Do not depend on the turn ending for that - always, always pair up those record/stop-recording orders. Those who forget get to join the Convoy Route Recording Disaster club - it's very prestigious, exclusive membership.....

Yep, i'm in it. Does card membership depend on the number of times it happens? or is it how many orders get appended? 65 EXPL's and OC's is my record.

Yep, i'm in it. Does card membership depend on the number of times it happens? or is it how many orders get appended? 65 EXPL's and OC's is my record.

A record I hope to never break. It helps when one puts convoy route changes near the end of the order list, but only marginally. :beer:

Octus

Obviously you never did that mistake, as it does not help to be at end of orders.

As the standing orders get put into the convoy rout, if you forget to close it with a matching CNVR :beer:

Did it once, and Pete sorted that out for me. (Thanks Pete).

It helps in that fewer of your orders get F'ed up. And if you don't have any standing orders, it isn't bad. But it really is a glaring design flaw in the system that simply can't be that hard to prevent in software.