Rolling Thunder Forums

Research Points

Breoghan

I want make sure I've got this right...

Any SRP order AFTER receipt of my turn on or about Sept 22nd will trigger expenditure of the bonus points for Slot #1? That's how I've interpreted it.

What I'm not sure of is what happens to any research points left over for completion of the research listed currently in slot #1. Do any remaining points automatically go on to be spent on the randomly selected research item that replaces the original? Do the remainder disappear? What?

Any SRP order AFTER receipt of my turn on or about Sept 22nd will trigger expenditure of the bonus points for Slot #1? That's how I've interpreted it.

What I'm not sure of is what happens to any research points left over for completion of the research listed currently in slot #1. Do any remaining points automatically go on to be spent on the randomly selected research item that replaces the original? Do the remainder disappear? What?

You currently have 60 points in your pool to use. They become active as soon as you use the SRP order, so if you issue an SRP next turn they would be used next turn.

Research points finish off whatever tech is in slot 1 as long as the tech is a qualifying tech. If the tech is not qualifying then your research managers will try and spend points on what is in slot 2 and so on down the line until they are successful in spending some points or they run out of options.

Points will only be spent once per turn on a single tech as appropriate. So if your first tech to "buy" is improved steel, normally 12 points, you would apply your normal research potential from all RC's assigned plus any scientist breakthroughs and then add enough from your pot of points to finish off the tech.

Points will be used to finish off a tech completely. If you don't have enough points for this then they will do as much as they can and you are back to normal research for another year.

The highest tech that can be researched is nominally 48 points so you should be able to complete one of these completely and do part of another or any combination of lesser techs.

Hope that clears things up.

Happy selection.

:cheers::):alien:

Save R&D points are only spent on the item in slot # 1. Anything not spent is saved till next turn to spend on the next item in Slot # 1. So if you place an item in slot # 1 and it uses 23 points up completing, the 37 not spent of the 60 SRP x-mas gift are saved till next turn. The addition to this is SRP cannot be used on high tech items (superior or higher levels). So if you place 6th Generation Terraforming in slot 1, well, no points get spent on it, and the SRP is (I believe) saved to next turn.

Save R&D points are only spent on the item in slot # 1. Anything not spent is saved till next turn to spend on the next item in Slot # 1. So if you place an item in slot # 1 and it uses 23 points up completing, the 37 not spent of the 60 SRP x-mas gift are saved till next turn. The addition to this is SRP cannot be used on high tech items (superior or higher levels). So if you place 6th Generation Terraforming in slot 1, well, no points get spent on it, and the SRP is (I believe) saved to next turn.

My experience shows that you start at slot 1 but if that fails you move to slot 2 etc.

:)

My experience shows that you start at slot 1 but if that fails you move to slot 2 etc.

:)

I do not think it is supposed to move to slot 2. I could swear there was a post last year Pete answered saying it is locked to slot one. But it has been a year and I could be simply confused.

No, if you accidently put something in slot 1 which does not qualify, "it" goes to the next slot looking for a 1-4 generation tech.

Here's a question for the gallery. 2nd Gen Cybernetics, can you slot 1 it?

Lord Uriel

It is hard to say. I believe that 1G Cybernetics is a 4th gen tech as it took 48 points to complete so I believe that 2G Cybernetics is a 5th gen tech. If you try it let us know the outcome.

Well, it is time to broaden your horizons with electric fence. :D

Or Advanced Black Market Goods. Those can be very horizon expanding. :cheers:

If you have saved points right now, the 60 points were added to it and you just have 60 more. In this case it doesn't matter if you issue an SRP order or not because your existing points are already flagged to be spent. You just have more and there is no SRP issue at all.

If you have no points currently, then you have 60 points now but they have been flagged so that they will not be spent until you issue your first SRP order. On that turn they will be flagged as okay to spend during research.

Points try to finish off whatever you have in your SRP slot 1. If that item cannot be finished then the points will try to finish off slot 2, and then slot 3 and so on until they can be spent. If none of your research slots allow for expenditure of the saved points, none will be expended.