Rolling Thunder Forums

Alien Fleet Sighting Toggle

Locklyn

One thing I've been wanting for a bit since my turn page count exceeded 1500 pages is a toggle order for Alien Fleet Sightings, ie an ability to choose certain empires that would NOT trigger an Alien Fleet Sighting report in the turn. For example, I have three allied empires coinhabiting my HW system, the number of friendly sightings is driving up the page count not to mention that it is harder to find unknown or unfriendly Alien Fleet Sightings in the mass of pages.

TOG Empire ID# 1=ON 0=OFF

Either this or putting all the alien fleet sightings in one place? What does Pete have to say, is it doable in the first place?

Cheers

/Locklyn

One thing I've been wanting for a bit since my turn page count exceeded 1500 pages is a toggle order for Alien Fleet Sightings, ie an ability to choose certain empires that would NOT trigger an Alien Fleet Sighting report in the turn. For example, I have three allied empires coinhabiting my HW system, the number of friendly sightings is driving up the page count not to mention that it is harder to find unknown or unfriendly Alien Fleet Sightings in the mass of pages.

TOG Empire ID# 1=ON 0=OFF

Either this or putting all the alien fleet sightings in one place? What does Pete have to say, is it doable in the first place?

Cheers

/Locklyn

I would like to see all of the fleet sightings in its own section organized by Empire and sorted by time of sighting. I would also like to have the fleet or colony that sights the alien fleet to be included in the information.

The Toggle idea is OK but I am not sure I would make use of the order much.

That's my thoughts.

This is a major issue for me. I have had turn results over 2,000 pages and a lot of that is sightings of allied fleets. With modern engine technology, a single feet can make hundreds of loops through a convoy route per turn, generating hundreds of "alien fleet sightings". But I cannot ignore them as a single sighting by a non aligned alien can be critical information.

I add my voice to an appeal for change. We need a way to flag given empires so their fleet sightings go to a dedicated section of the turn results.

Perhaps the least work for Pete would be to add some new PAP options such as "Allied - No Sightings" etc. Only Pete knows his code of course.

I don't have a problem with receiving all of those fleet sightings of allied fleets except how they clutter the turn results and make it hard to find important things. On rare occasions the information can be useful. If all of the allied fleet sightings were to go in to one section where I could ignore them 99% of the time, that would be fine by me.

Here's a thought from my feeble attempts at playing Victory.

If you sign a alliance with someone and it works for three years, everything might be fine. But ... what if your allies' long term goals change? What if they've decided your planets are more to his likng than he thought?

If ignoring allied fleets was coded in, this might allow players to position a battlefleet (or 12 battlefleets) in orbit and initiate a surprise attack. All without the "ally" knowing about it.

If you sign a alliance with someone and it works for three years, everything might be fine. But ... what if your allies' long term goals change? What if they've decided your planets are more to his likng than he thought?

If ignoring allied fleets was coded in, this might allow players to position a battlefleet (or 12 battlefleets) in orbit and initiate a surprise attack. All without the "ally" knowing about it.

That was, why I suggested to factor the ROE of fleets in. A Transport Fleet can have a defensive ROE, so will not report, but a Battlefleet can be set on a more aggrEssive ROE, e.g. attack all non-allies, which would lead to

reports of fleet sightings (even allied ones).

The annoying Sightings are coming from traders and tankers (skimmers), these set on a defensive ROE (not attack anyone) would igore sightings.

I don't think skimmers generate fleet sightings any more but convoy routes will do it every time.

<_<:cheers:

Rather than changing the way fleet sightings are done now I would just as soon have a summary at the end telling me which empires had sightings and how many. Then I know to go through the turn page by page to account for them all. If there is nobody of interest then I can ignore them.

I certainly want fleet sightings of all my allies as well. How else can I test cloaking devices to see if they are working yet? I also like the confirmation that combined empire fleet activities are actually happening as planned.

:cheers::D:thumbsup:

And I thought my turns were large at 1500 pages......

:cheers:

holy smokes!! 2000 1500 pages?? to scan every couple of weeks? Thats sounds too much like WORK!!!:D

I strive to keep mine very very low. a mere fraction of whats listed above. :P

This game is the opposite of golf. The more pages you have and the longer it takes you to wade through all the information the more fun you are having. B)

I am very glad that we don't get actual printouts of our turns. :thumbsup::cheers::ranting::cheers:

Yes, but if the PAP system in SuperNova worked more like Victory! You would "know" when they were trying to break the Agreement. Right now, one side can unilaterally change their "level" and you have no clue until they start shooting. :cheers:

M2CW,

-SK :cheers: