Rolling Thunder Forums

Dutch vs USA

Super Mario

To be honest it was Dageraads Idea....credit where credit is due:

Who would be in for a Dutch vs the USA game (no problem if we expand the definitions of the countries a bit, if you are from other parts of the world, just let us know which side you wanne join in....)

idea to start maybe early 2011 so we have some time to set it up...

Please sign up if you are interested...

Let's keep this a a not-in-character discussions,

BTW I'm Dutch so we have 1 team member.

Dutch-USA: 1-0

keep the counter running.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spongebob

Only if I can be Denmark and I can choose what side I join after 10 turns, if I survive :thumbsup: I could be a wild Card or I could take on everyone else. I will win. I WILL BE VICTORIOUS..... Murrrrraghhhhh!!!!! Murrrrraghhhhh!!!!! Murrrrraghhhhh!!!!!

Oooops sorry, just read all the original post - (Character mode off) - Yes Count Me In, being a bit like the Ryder Cup I will have to be in on Europes Side, you do all realise that I may have to be "friends" with some old foes :woohoo:

So, are we talking about 20 vs. 20? or are we breaking this down into 3, 4, or 5 man teams? I, for one am American with Dutch ancestors (as well as English, Scot and Irish). I choose USA, more specifically, I would choose, Texas.

So, are we talking about 20 vs. 20? or are we breaking this down into 3, 4, or 5 man teams? I, for one am American with Dutch ancestors (as well as English, Scot and Irish). I choose USA, more specifically, I would choose, Texas.

What Kurassier said. :woohoo:

add one more to the Texas side, faaaaar west Texas.

I love the idea - but think it should be set up after game 90 gets put together. a game 91 perhaps?

As for Dutch or not Dutch, whatever. I have noticed a few swiss players also in the game. I am American but live in Germany, so if you were to break it down to a European resident thing, then I could do that.

Whatever team Earthling is on, I'll TA with him. ;-)

I still like the map idea - color code the map to give a balanced regional power situation and have different groups pre-set TA'd.

Possible distribution of nations in a 10 vs 10 game:

victory-map-diplomacy-10v10.png

Lighter color = easy prey for the darkercolor. Each one has 7 such neutrals.

Normal game settings, exept for the following:

- Teams of 10 members. One of the 10 assigned team captain.

- Team members expected to share common strategy, full turn information etc with team members.

- Team captain can replace players.

- Players to form TA's and AL's within the own team.

- All neutrals to build defences gfrom turn 0 onwards.

- Victory condition: To hold 27 capitols at the end of any given turn (2/3 of the grand total).

I am afraid this setup wouldn't work with a 20 vs 20, as it is almost impossible to form 2 equal teams this way.

More than 2 temas has the problem of teams ganging up against other teams.

And of course, RTG has to agree with this kind of setup.

Possible distribution of nations in a 10 vs 10 game:

victory-map-diplomacy-10v10.png

Lighter color = easy prey for the darkercolor. Each one has 7 such neutrals.

Normal game settings, exept for the following:

- Teams of 10 members. One of the 10 assigned team captain.

- Team members expected to share common strategy, full turn information etc with team members.

- Team captain can replace players.

- Players to form TA's and AL's within the own team.

- All neutrals to build defences gfrom turn 0 onwards.

- Victory condition: To hold 27 capitols at the end of any given turn (2/3 of the grand total).

I am afraid this setup wouldn't work with a 20 vs 20, as it is almost impossible to form 2 equal teams this way.

More than 2 temas has the problem of teams ganging up against other teams.

And of course, RTG has to agree with this kind of setup.

Just to make things interesting, have no TAs adjacent to each to each other.

A year ago Russ asked if anyone had an idea for a special theme for a game. THis idea is that old. But a few notes on the set-up:

- Its 10 vs 10, not 20 vs 20. It might work with 12 vs 12, or 8 vs 8, but the higher the number the more difficult it would be to get an equal division on the map, without players running the rish of being swamped in the first 10 turns or so. In a normal game this happens all the time, but in this game if it happens it is guaranteed to disturb the chances of the team that's get Zerged. All player positions on the map are guaranteed to have the time to develop themselves. Big battles between both teams probably won't happen for at least 20 turns.

BUT: RTG must allow a game with only 20 positions played for this to happen.

- For this to work it is very important that each team work as a team from the start, and that there are no players on board with strange, own ideas AND the degree of thickheadedness to follow through on those ideas in spite of their team members. For me, everyone has the right to have strange ideas, but a row in a team can ruin the whole game for both teams.

The players should each have a certain experience playing this game. Let's say: at least having completed a Victory game once.

For this to work RTG must allow both teams to be selective with their membership.

- There HAS to be a captain on each team or else this won't work. And, following a tradition, a first lieutenant that can take over if the captain drops. And, of course, the captain can be evicted by a lost vote of confidence. The captains should be players with a lot of experience, a high standing in the community and a hands-off apporach, only using their powers as a tie-breaker or if things get sour.

The captains have an important function in keeping up the sportsmanship of the game. For instance: both teams could agree beforehand that there will be no permanent financial deficits in each team allowed. It will be up to the captain to enforce this "gentlemen agreements".

For this to work RTG must allow both teams to have a captain, and allow the captain to have the power to evict a team member. In extreme circumstances.

- Fot this to work each teammember should have access to the turn reports of all members of his team. This can be easily organised at the source. If RTG agrees.

BTW, I would not qualify both for the membership or for the position of captain.