Rolling Thunder Forums

Pace Discussion

PhaseDragon

:( Guys,

SNROTE is a 'builder' game and takes a 'long' time to do anything. Now that means you initially have alot of time to get your empire up on it's feet and begin to establish colonies and work through some needed tech trees. Now it helps to communicate with others and trade intel on what helps to get to what tech and all of that.

Also when you find that first neighbor, start to talk and trade ideas, tech and etc. Work out and on many different projects together to better further each others empires.

I often sit back and think what we as mankind will have to do in real time space. I kinda don't think space is like it is in the Star Treck universe with humanoids in every star system or so. I think we will have to travel quite far to find our next 'intelligent' race. Oh we might find 'life' on some other worlds, but to find a race that has a culture, spoken language, industrial, and maybe even spacefarring might be super rare.

Time will tell, and that is the same comment I have for us in SNROTE. Just stick with it and try to not be restless and fret about things to much. In time you will encounter others and develope tech that will get you through it all. have some faith in Pete/Russ, and yourself...and just keep plugging away!!!

:)

Penn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ-

Thanks for the reply. I want to see this game succeed as badly as you guys do. As I've stated numerous times, I trust the design. My only real concern is that the pace of research and contact isn't so slow as to turn off a new player base. After some personal wrangling with the issue, I've convinced myself to stay for the long haul and give the 'builder' game a try.

I try to 'sell' this game all the time to anyone I know who would be interested. Pace has been an issue for potential customers. Personally, I won't address the issue of pace any further. If you and Pete are happy with it, I'll trust that things will pick up.

I'm glad to hear that this forum isn't the only forum where people get patches and communicate.

Woolfe-

I know the paths and basic research times for all of the technologies I mentioned except for NTWD. If a player completely ignores the development of improving their industry technology, they can advance their engine techs to pre-NTWD within a year and a half to two years (presuming they want to BUILD those items - and yes - you'll need advanced goods for the good stuff.) Class D warp points aren't my problem, either :( Perhaps its a personal preference, but having the ability to build and use jump survey sensors to knock down E and F class warp points seems pretty pivotal to me.

"they can advance their engine techs to pre-NTWD within a year and a half to two years"

Not sure what is meant by that phrase. My impression was that you don't know the path to that particular tech.

You can advance engines and JSS's to max "buyable" in 6 turns with SRP's, because each can be bought to Mk IV.

MK IV JSS's with some bonuses can easily tackle E warppoints and possibly F if you stack them and put high level scientists and explorers in the fleet. I personally think that being restricted from G and H warppoints is not a major impediment to trade and player interactivity, which is the subject of the thread. Even being restricted above D, though an impediment, does not shut down player to player contact by any means.

MK IV engines (or MK II Fusion, same thrust) will get you up to 12 AP fleets. Combined with NTWD's that means 6 system jumps per turn.

All you have to know is the path to NTWD's and add that to the aforementioned 6 turns and in that timeframe you have the ability to jump through 6 systems a turn up through E or F warppoints. That will be your final answer to what the fastest curve will be for new players who are well informed by friends who get them into the game.

- woolfe

Woolfe -

A bit more than 6 turns....you need to add 2G and 3G space science. But in effect 8 turns. By then your improved materials should kick in and 2-3 more Slot 1hits and you have NTWD.

Not bad..12 AP ship with MK IV JSS. You can clear a nexus ASAP.

True, I forgot about those 2 horizons you need.

Tech path to engine breakthroughs?

========================

1) Mk II JSS

1) Mk II NEngines

3) Mk II Jump Drives

4) 2nd Gen Space

5) Mk III JSS

6) Mk III NEngines/Fusion

7) Mk I Fusion /Mk III Jump Drives

8) 3rd Gen Space

9) Mk IV JSS

10) Mk IV NEngines

11) Mk II Fusion JDs/ Mk IV Jump Drives

12) NTWD? (I'm not precise on where these are, as I stated)

On "turn 12" the following kick in:

Improved Steel

Improved Refined Crystals

Improved Synthetic Materials

Improved Transaluminum

Improved Processed Radioactives

Improved Electronics

So yeah - it does look like 12 turns if NTWDs are that close at hand to fit your goal, Woolfe.

Six months real playing time.

I stand corrected :cheers: I think :blink:

And then add your econ stuff:

====================

13) 1st Gen Psychology

14) 1st Gen Civil Admin

15) 2nd Gen Computer Sci

16) 2nd Gen Indy

17) 2nd Gen Psych

18) 2nd Gen Social Sci

19) 2nd Gen Civil

20) 3rd Gen Comp Sci

21) 3rd Gen Indy

So....21 turns.

10.5 months of real time and you have a nace base.

Not bad. Even if you flip-flop space tech for indy stuff.

Ah...had we known then what we know now........ :P

I like the pace of the game more or less. But my big fear is if you spend a 2 or 3 years building an empire. Then some militant ass comes along and invades and your out!!! I for one would regret the money id spent and another couple of years to rebuild would be to long for revenge. And I hold a grudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emporer magara

aslan hierate

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so stupid!

:o

Brain

You guys kept mentioning 8 turns........

1) Mk II Nuke Engines

2) Mk II JSS

3) 2nd Gen Space Sciences

4) Mk III JSS

5) Mk III Nuke Engines

6) 3rd Gen Space Sciences

7) Nuclear Transwarp Drives

8) Mk IV JSS

You must not need Jump Drives to get NTWD.....a terrible assumption on my part.

Its not like you guys didn't give me enough hints and I'm obviously stuck at Mk II Nuclear Engines without any SRPs with a focus on industrial technology :(

As Octogon suggests -- Improved won't kick in by then...so you'll still need another 2-4 turns before you can build all that stuff.

So....a decent startup would look like this:

1) Mk II Nuke Engines

2) Mk II JSS

3) 2nd Gen Space Sciences

4) Mk III JSS

5) Mk III Nuke Engines

6) 3rd Gen Space Sciences

7) Nuclear Transwarp Drives

8) Mk IV JSS

9) 1st Gen Psychology

10) 1st Gen Civil Admin

11) 2nd Gen Computer Sci -- (might receive all the Improved Goods with RB)

12) 2nd Gen Indy -- (Receive all the Improved Goods)

Less than six months playing time and you can build those crazy MMB exploration ships with tons of APs and Mk IV JSS that can knock down entire system warp points in a single turn.....AND have more efficient industries by the time you are able to crank all that stuff out.......

*gulp*

If I only knew then, what I know now........

Now I see why 4-6 systems out of our home system is "nothing".

Good God - we are much closer to each other than I realized.

I would assume that any prereqs would have to come before the tech tree branches that split off into Fusion otherwise the prereqs would get screwed up.

So that would limit prereqs to things like....

MK II Nuke Engine

Mk II Nuke Jump Drive

But JSS don't branch so it could prereq at a higher tech level.

Then factor in Horizon techs.

Correct?

Now you are much less likely to "waste" your precious early research efforts and SRP on false logic and wild guesses

Unless you are a player from turn one and have spent all your srps and rcs mapping these trees so others won't do the same mistakes or erroneous assumptions

Cheers

/Locklyn

I suppose there could be different flavors of Transwarp drives to address both the Nuke and Fusion paths of Jump Drives. There seem to be quite a few variants of non-jump engine propulsion so it would be alot of work to mix and match each drive and engine tech path with a transwarp engine. I doubt it.

No, if I had to guess I would think that Transwarp drives are low on the engine tree before it branches (if at all), but could feed off the jump drive tree if there is both a Nuke and a Fusion variant.

So maybe....

Nuclear Transwarp Drive

3rd or 4th Gen Space

Mk III or Mk IV Nuke Jump Drive

Fusion Transwarp Drive

3rd or 4th Gen Space

Mk I or Mk II Fusion Jump Drive