Rolling Thunder Forums

Pace Discussion

PhaseDragon

Advanced fuel and force shields? Who've thunk it?

Sadly, there was one crazy citizen who touted the value of Advanced Fuel and Force Shields as the "way to the stars" and submitted sketches and loose diagrams of something akin to a Nuclear Transwarp Drive, but the established Spawn Scientific community shunned him as a lunatic. :woohoo:

Those responsible have been sacked, and the eccentric, yet genius, Fra' Lqoa has been promoted to Senior Scientist effective immediately. :alien:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad Martin wrote:

Having been gagged by the GSL when I left I am glad that Locklyn stepped up

Actually I thought it was respect for the democratic decision within the group that kept you from spilling all the beans on the NTWD or am I incorrect?

Lets get one thing clear here honored assembled sentinents...this was a decision by the GSL as a whole and not just me personally, and with the approval of the originating member that discovered the technology as with all our disclosures either to the public or associated non-members.

The GSL sits on what is probably the largest database on scientific discoveries and will do our part to contribute to the prosperity of the galaxy as a whole but as we are a democratic organisation, with lots of debate and freedom of expression, such decisions are not whimsical in nature and with some technologies require quite a lot of thought on balance before so proceeding.

We produced the basic technology package many many cycles ago so that hatchling races would not lose their way in the mire that is the technology tree and we will stand by to assist in what way we can.

Many races have thought that we only assist GSL races, but we work well even with those that decide that they do not feel ready for the commitment of an alliance or mature for the greater struggle to rebuild the universe yet.

As has been shown quite literally on the boards by Mad Martin, one can also leave the GSL but we ask that one respects that which has been learned, the procedures of leaving as well as the integrity of the group. We do not lower ourselves to mudslinging those who do not feel our way is the right way nor do we condemn them publically on the holochannels and make mock of them, we simply accept and respect their free will and their choice but stand fast in our own principles and beliefs and know that we will stand against the chaos and the darkness and be the bridge for a greater and better universe for all.

Mine is a race filled with genetic fear of other sentinents, of the void between and the dark that lies dormant and waiting there but I have faith, hope and a sense of peace with these I call allies, these I call friends and these I would lay down the lives of my entire race to defend.

Thus speak I, Emperor Locklyn, of the Genesian Gremloid Technocracy

Honored Knight and minister of recruitment for the GSL

Wow, what a way to start the day :alien:

Thank you from a newcomer - Nuclear Transwarp Drive!

Having followed this thread recently, having only just started, I was a little concerned at the posts, but at least I had been pre-warned by the Flagship article (which is what prompted me). Perhaps things have changed again?

Alliances I hadn't given a thought to yet.

Do they seek new members? Is there another forum? Should I be thinking of this soon?

from the First Nest

Honoured Clan Elder Giff'ar...

When deciding about alliances it is important to realise that most alliances now are still in the stage of purely informational and inspirational form. Ie many have not linked up and are unable to support each other militarily or economically but can be of great help in sharing tech path knowledge, ideas, how to avoid bumps in the road that elder races have endured etc etc

As a newer race, unsure of the path or how much you wish to bind your empire, you might want to join an informational alliance such as ISIS which really only shares tech knowledge under the premise of information wants to be free :alien: I reccomend you speak to Shadowkitsune to find out more

Alliances such as GSL or The Phoenix Arisen (I presume to understand their motives here from their messages and earlier playing style, I hope any member of the PA corrects any erroneous statements on my part herewithin) are also more of ideological alliances where one joins an idea of how one sees the universe, how one wants to makes one mark as a race in this universe. Taking the GGT for example, we joined the GSL a long time ago for their ideals and principles are those that our race and leadership could understand and follow, and we will remain GSL even if we found ourselves surrounded by non-gsl member empires.

A thing to remember when inquiring about an alliance is how it will affect your negotiations with non-alliance members. If the alliance forbids or restricts trade with non-members or even cohabitation with non-member empires perhaps you should query the wisdom of choosing such an alliance before actually meeting up with one of those empires. We of the GSL prefer members rights of individual freedom, respect and responsibility with a communal democratic will to stand as an entity against that which threatens those rights. A democracy such as ours may be lumbering at times but it is to be preferred over tightly knit top ruled elite groups like the Cadre or BONE, but again, I may be in error judging them so and if so hope they will correct me and assist you in better understanding their goals.

I shall not tire those uninterested in alliance talk further but instead ask that if you wish to know more, wish to join or just to open up friendly communications with the GSL I am happy to be of service at holochannel : locklyn@kommunicera.umea.se

Whatever you decide, may your path be interesting and never too dangerous

/Locklyn

There was an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

The GSL's reference to ideological alliances is accurate at the moment. Now that the universe is smaller and neighbors are closer, the purity of that description will be tainted as neighbors cut deals with each other for supposed mutual self protection, but more likely words to buy time until the HW/Colony strikes begin.

We follow simple ideologies. This is a game, and we follow the old addage "It is not whether we win or lose, just whether we win." Democracy is "mob rule" and like Europe they go in circles alot. We are closer to a "Consitutional Rebublic". Laws and rules we abide by with veterans directing, rather than controlling, the development of the whole. Our membership each have a say in our directives, not just the officers, therefore we are... picky.

We formally offer two sets of praise to the GSL for publishing the NTWE yesterday. Praise #1, you have done your karma pool good to have given back a small amount from what you have taken. May your blessings be 10 fold in return.

Praise #2, congrats on posting these critical game altering data before we did. Our scheduled discussion on the posting of tech was actually this week. Coincidence or subtle leak from somewhere? Either way, grats on beating us to it.

Regarding technology, it is apparent that considerable additional information and insight has been gained from other alliances "milking" game bugs for technology info and insights into tech trees that we chose to report rather than to exploit. Fortunately those loopholes have been closed. Considering the source of such information, perhaps those who secured it under "grey" pretenses should share that info to level the playing field for those of us choosing not to follow the path of the "grey".

As a young race, you should seek to gain an edge. Choose your weapon and get to know your edge, you'll be using that blade for a while. Choose wisely.

Praise #2, congrats on posting these critical game altering data before we did. Our scheduled discussion on the posting of tech was actually this week. Coincidence or subtle leak from somewhere? Either way, grats on beating us to it.

Instead of everyone tripping over each other in their quest for the betterment of the community (all "revealing" the same tech item), maybe we need numbered tickets that you might find at the deli. :alien:

For the new players, there are plenty of folks that have a great deal of insight and are willing to answer questions etc.. etc... I am one of those so feel free to drop me a line if you want some answers. This is a non-denominational help line and all information and answers are freely given, including various spreadsheets that may aid in the productive running of an empire.

Enjoy

First of all, thank you for the great advice on tech items, the NWTD especially.

I'm guessing that the alliances that exist now are "ideological" only because there hasn't been any major combat. I wonder how the alliance lines will be drawn once there is conflict.

Are"older" races vastly separated from the "newer" races?

If so, how else can the newer and older races work together in any meaningful way aside from information exchange early on?

I enjoy reading the alliance messages, although I feel a little isolated from the starting empires. I'm guessing that my more crucial alliances will involve newer players - as they are more likely to be in my starting area.

Then again - my presumption about player spacing could be wrong and I might be surrounded by all the vets!

First of all, thank you for the great advice on tech items, the NWTD especially.

I'm guessing that the alliances that exist now are "ideological" only because there hasn't been any major combat. I wonder how the alliance lines will be drawn once there is conflict.

Are"older" races vastly separated from the "newer" races?

If so, how else can the newer and older races work together in any meaningful way aside from information exchange early on?

I enjoy reading the alliance messages, although I feel a little isolated from the starting empires. I'm guessing that my more crucial alliances will involve newer players - as they are more likely to be in my starting area.

Then again - my presumption about player spacing could be wrong and I might be surrounded by all the vets!

Lord of the Watchers...

We agree with your assessment of alliances. One of the major problems is that these alliances are seperated by vast amounts of space and while "yummy happiness [sic from Cao Cao]" is nice, it changes when actual contact is made. (especially with non-alliance members)

There is a concept used by the GSL and several of the "Elder" Races called the Core. This concept has an ever spiralling universe (akin to a sea shell) where older players are in the core and newer players are placed further out on the spiral. This concept might be accurate but my "elder" race has encountered a "newer" race and is working with them. This encounter could also be tied into the concept of distance and warp points as mentioned by Pete (in his Warp Document), meaning I went through a D warp point that shot me across the Galaxy. One does not know..

Being surrounded by vets is always nice if they specialize in your speciies :alien:

best wishes in space....

There was indeed an article in the most recent Flagship, been out about a month now.

I unashamedly admit to writing it and would be more than happy to send anyone a copy. Indeed the one I send you will be more accurate as they cocked up the 'image' that was supposed to accompany it! The space marine looked quite nice, but it was supposed to be an image of my Lifeform Modifiers - that I also referenced in the text!

I have sent it to Pete & Russ to use as they wished, but I don't think it's made it to the download area.

Send an e-mail to StarLeague9@aol.com and I'll send it out.

Mark

PS I plan to write a Part 2 next year after, perhaps, I learn more about combat, diplomacy and alliances.....