Rolling Thunder Forums

EXPL Ship Design

Balagor

OK, when designing a dedicated Exploration ship you clearly need Cargo Bays (and optionals Fighter and Drone bays) to hold your finds. What I was interested in, is what (besides characters) affect the odds of getting an exploration success ?

Any inputs ?

The warp survey supplement says that "other" ship systems can have a small impact on success rate. Given that JSS's are a type of sensor, I think there's a strong liklihood that regular sensors would add something small to success rate. Since that there's a diminishing return on adding additional JSS's, it's an open question whether it becomes efficient to add regular sensors after you have 1 JSS vs. adding more JSS's.

On EXPL's, so far the only items identified are the aforementioned science labs and survey landers. Don't forget that scientists in the fleet also add.

- woolfe

Don't forget weapons, cargo barges or legendary characters. I seem to recall some mention that weapons could be useful in the right situation. The biggest modifier that I have seen is mental powers. If you have them you are golden, if you don't then you muck around at about 15-20% success rates. JMHO

I remember reading that the number of survey landers will dictate EXPL success. So I have 6 landers on each ship just for that purpose. I messed up when I streamlined my initial design and left out cargo bays. My future incarnations will have 30,000 cargo bays each.

Don't remember seeing that weapons per se help EXPL results, unless blowing things up is counted as exploration. But specifically I understand that weapons with Tractor factor, such as the Light Magnetic Grapple... "occasionally has other uses in general space exploration".

Hmm...I have maximum mental powers Type A and B Science labs on my exploration fleets and lots and lots of characters and I hit about 35% on my EXPL success nowadays, had a successrate of about 60% before the change in EXPL code.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Hmm...I have maximum mental powers Type A and B Science labs on my exploration fleets and lots and lots of characters and I hit about 35% on my EXPL success nowadays, had a successrate of about 60% before the change in EXPL code.

Cheers

/Locklyn

My 40% success rate was before the change. Haven't done an expl since the change so I don't know. I have phenomenal senses as well, if that helps.

I get about 70% on EXPL. I have no more than one lab(type A) per ship and 6 survey landers with level 3 mental powers. I now need to deploy freighters to my survey fleets.