Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonial attrition

Remember, Ideal to Extremely High have no real meaning in our game. Disregard these unless you are a colonizer. For a colonizer they mean use a colony dome if it is not err ideal. However, higher than ideal does not mean a colony dome is needed. The difference between all the ranges is nothing after I put down the colony dome. Also, note that each world has hidden potential to prevent losses until a certain level is reached. This has nothing to do with your CSV level. I would watch using the Imperial medical Centers on certain worlds in low numbers as they can cause a decrease potential of growth. In English, this means that you will say your getting growth but it will get none and reduce secondary growth factors. 

I currently have 13 Ideal worlds in my new empires home system without using anything. 

Best advantages

1. You start on a cold world. The funny thing is starting on a hot world doesn't really help with gas giants. 

2. You have the best breathing.

3. You are temperature resistant.

4. You are long lived.

5. Max growth. (There is a way to equal this without facilities but you have to figure it out) Growth rate does impact your growth but also decreases the secondary potential after high levels of colonization. 

Each world should be tested for growth potential but only if you are bootstrapping. (i.e. you can move so many people you are limiting both potentials to minimum)

I would improve my colonization bonuses. 

An installation does not exactly work at 100 per pop but is impacted by different things. One installation can be lot more than a hundred or a lot less. Depending on how many you have impacts your losses significantly. Certain amounts at low levels can cause more bang for your buck or a total loss. 

Just like everything else in SN colonial attrition has a whole lot of variables that make trying to make heads or tails of what the various installations actually do very difficult. You can get a general idea but pinning down exact numbers is impossible. There are even some things that still somewhat of a mystery. Take the microorganisms index for example. The installation to reduce this attrition effect gives a value but the actual level of the microorganisms on a world is unknown and there is currently no way to figure it out. I had an asteroid belt in Draco where this was an issue ( microorganisms on an asteroid belt now those are some very tough bugs). After building a subterranean city and a microbiotic Decon station the belt reverted to ideal from extremely high. My HW is very cold so temp wasn’t and issue and atmosphere can be completely negated with a domed city and a subterranean city.  There might still be attrition on the belt though. We will know for sure when we send some colonists to their de er new paradise. :D

I have never seen any bad effects due to building an installation.  

Colonist growth should not be confused with random immigration.  The latter happens or not almost entirely based on a random generator influnced by installations.  It is really only useful on small colonies, something like 10k I think.

Some installation adhere to the stated ratio while others do not.  You have to test and see. Poor colonizers notice this more than good ones.

1 hour ago, hobknob said:

I have never seen any bad effects due to building an installation.  

Colonist growth should not be confused with random immigration.  The latter happens or not almost entirely based on a random generator influnced by installations.  It is really only useful on small colonies, something like 10k I think.

Some installation adhere to the stated ratio while others do not.  You have to test and see. Poor colonizers notice this more than good ones.

I have had unexpected effects from building installations. Some bad some good.  That part of about random immigration isn’t quite right. While you do get random immigration the colonies you get them on aren’t. That isn’t random at all. 

Sudden decrease in immigration from the addition of an installation for one. I had kept detailed records but gave up after I realized that something wasn’t quite right. 

As far as random goes. I have many very large colonies and it’s ALWAYS the very same ones that get immigration. I find that to be very not random. 

In an email from Pete many years ago, he stated each facility effected a certain variable. So a domed city and a subterranean city, each effect a different variable, even though you would think each would effect the same.

I  think the verbage in the csv are just fluff. The only one that seems to really mater is the pmap. 

The PMAP, I think is still useful for microorganisms only. However, it make no sense for other reasons. A world with no issues but has higher than normal losses. Worlds covered in trees but no lumber. The lines used to mean something but have no use at all in Draco. All of the installations that improve immigration are non functioning.

I find colonization to be pretty straightforward.  Perhaps i have not been paying attention but i have not observed any hidden bonuses to keep my pathetic colonists alive.

I do find that i can keep small colonies alive using domes, terrraforming, temp control, medical centers and sub cities.  

I find the csv attrition desciptor to be just as useful in Draco as it is in Andromeda.