Rolling Thunder Forums

Lumber/Timber

Landmine

I know that it would be far too hard to change but.......every turn I get annoyed by  Lumber growing in some forest and a lumber mill converting it into timber!

I am from the Pacific Northwest and I can assure you the world is quite the opposite.  Timber grows in the forest and is chopped down, taken to a lumber mill where it is converted into lumber (2x4's, 4x4's, plywood, and such).

The rules state:

Lumber: Raw wood and other forest products in an unfinished form. Lumber is refined into Timber
for use in the manufacture of more complex items. (1 ton) 10 Raw Resources

Dictionary.com states:

Timber Noun- the wood of growing trees suitable for structural uses or the growing trees themselves.      

Lumber : Noun -   timber sawed or split into planks, boards, etc.

Is this issue fixable???????

Might not make sense in game but it works. There are quite a few things actually like the size of fighter craft for tiny and gigantic races.  They all cost the same and have the same fire power but the gigantic races fighter craft is gonna be well really huge where  as the little winged fairy critters fighter craft is gonna be well really really small. 

The terms lumber and timber were accidentally swapped in the initial database and at this point swapping them back to match their correct definitions would cause a number of issues--it remains one of those little oddities that became fixtures in the game ?

5 hours ago, Lord Deependra said:

I just remember that, in the game, Lumber is Lousy and Timber is Terrific.

I noticed the same thing in one of my other games.  Boardwalk was terrific and Mediterranean Avenue was lousy.  Every game has good points and bad points

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2018 at 8:38 AM, RTGPete said:

The terms lumber and timber were accidentally swapped in the initial database and at this point swapping them back to match their correct definitions would cause a number of issues--it remains one of those little oddities that became fixtures in the game ?

I think you meant to say "a feature" of the game ?

• 4 years later...

I think Using Lumber in Construction Materials is a bit odd, anyway, as in my mind, it implies timber framed construction, which is fine for house construction (in north America in particular), but sounds a bit odd when constructing, say, a power plant.

I know it is too late in the game to do anything about it, but Lumber should be called "Industrial Minerals" representing sand, gravel, clay and limestone - used for making concrete and bricks. Then replace Timber (including Improved and Advanced) with Concrete, Improved Concrete and Advanced Concrete. Then these would be used along with steel in producing the various Construction Materials.

Just my thoughts, not a real complaint!

Just drop ICE-4 in the world , rinse and repeat . Your yields will explode to giddying heights ! Oh , wait.....you don't have ICE in Draco , ☹️. Sorry !

> Industrial Chemicals (2.262989E+07), Hydroelectric Potential (2.203889E+07), Iron (2.19921E+07),
> Light Metals (2.094151E+07), Ghuran Demonblood (2.021194E+07), Lumber (1.990637E+07), Precious Metals (1.861482E+07), 
> Gemstones (1.750557E+07), Radioactive Elements (1.735497E+07), Water (1.57082E+07), Gaseous Elements (1.536357E+07),
> Crystals (1.496168E+07)