Rolling Thunder Forums

DRACO: I HAVE A QUESTION

Sandarbian

Ok, to get to Improved Industrial Complex it seems I need 1st Gen Cybernetics (and 3rd Gen Civil Eng). To get 1st Gen Cybernetics one of the things I have to get is Advanced Bionics (correct?).  Sooo....what is the tech route to Advanced Bionics?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Imperium Navium Aetheris

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Onto the next question.

In the document "General Advice - Draco" authored by one of our fellows in the Grand Adventure it is stated:

Weapons
Every weapon has a preferred range. If they fire from that deployment location or closer, they
work normally. Any further back and they deal less damage. Point blank weapons are the
exception as they deal extra damage if in deployment location 1.
Missiles/Torpedos : Point Blank [1], Short [2], Medium [5], Long [8], Standoff [10] (all 10% drop
off)
Other : Beam [1] (10% drop off), Point Blank [1] (20% drop off, bonus from [1])

Is the drop off percentage for not being within the preferred range a fix rate? Or does the percentage increase as you step back in range from preferred? 

IF Beam [1] has a 10% drop off, is that 10% for range 2, 10% for range 3, etc.? OR does this increase, 10% drop off for range 2, 20% for range 3, 30% for range 4, etc.?

And do we know the bonus for point blank at [1]?

ANZ: Advanced Bionics
Advanced Bionics: Advanced Bionics represents understanding of the concepts of meshing machines and
lifeforms into a more complete being. This leads the way to development of advanced
man-machine interactions and improved robotics.
Classification: Horizon Technology
This Item cannot be manufactured, and is either a ground combat upgrade or a prerequisite for other technologies
Prerequisite Technologies: Advanced Genetics

The drop off in damage is per location, (2 is 10%, 3 is 20% etc) so ships sitting way back will deal a lot less damage than those at the front. The maximum drop off is 95%, so a weapon will always do some damage, even if you deploy the ship waaaay at the back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a fire control question.

I just battled some DMX light cruisers and the fire control section of my orders was:

ZZZZZ # xxxx (+40 [Leaders * Lifeform]
Total tonnage: 1,223,000.....Base Fire Control: 1 [6,000 bridge]

I had a fleet admiral (level 6) with my fleet

What does the +40 (leaders times lifeform) mean????

I expected a FC of 7 (1 for bridge + 6 for the admiral)

Did I have a FC of 41?   (40 for the admiral + 1 for bridge)

What is it about my lifeform (besides are outrageously good looks) that would transform a level 6 admiral to level 40???   What racial characteristics is responsible for this?

when th enemy only has 3 light cruisers is FC very important at all?

Pete has never divulged the numbers but I suspect that anything that gives your race a Space Combat Bonus (SCB) will add to your leaders inherent FC ability. I have seen values as high as 55 in Draco. 

The great thing about leaders and FC is that the fire control ability they provide IS NOT diluted by the size of your fleet. This makes naval leaders amongst the most valuable for those of us that want to be rulers of the space lanes. 😈

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, been in a battle, have damaged ships.

1.) Do ships repair themselves? Or must there be a repair bay located in the fleet somewhere? 

2.) How do I determine if a previously damaged ship has returned to 100%?

3.) How do I xfer JUST the damaged ships in a fleet to another fleet? [I don't think this can be done with the current orders but added it as a dirty look at Pete and Russ.😒]

4.) Anything about damaged ships and fleets that I didn't ask but should know about...

The only thing I can find in the rules and the Naval Combat supplement is:

Ships can become damaged but survive a battle—in these cases damage control parties attempt to repair the injured ship sections to the best of their ability. If this proves impossible, damaged ships can be repaired either by placing them into shipyards or by using specialized repair facilities. Damaged ships are not overly common, as space battles are fairly destructive by nature.

So...

5.) How do you know if a damaged ship needs to be placed into a shipyards or needs specialized repair facilities? Is the Repair Bay the necessary specialized facility? 

6.) How you even PLACE a ship back in the shipyard for repairs?

...wonder if Pete and Russ have any hair left on the heads....my questions have questions.... 

1. Ships are repaired at the beginning of each turn just before orders are processed.  They attempt to repair themselves but heavy damage might take several turns.  Repair Bays anywhere in the fleet will allocate their damage control parties as needed throughout that fleet after each ship conducts its own repairs.  Repair Bays try to finish off damaged ships before moving on to other ships.
  2. During the beginning-of-turn repair phase the text will indicate whether the ship has been completely repaired or needs additional work.
  3. There is no way to transfer or otherwise individually identify damaged ships in a fleet from their intact counterparts.
  4. For any sort of reasonably large war fleet, it's a good idea to have at least one Repair Bay somewhere in that fleet.  That way if the fleet should become damaged, it will effect repairs at the beginning of the next turn, possibly to full operating efficiency if the fleet has enough repair output.  In this manner you don't need to worry about damaged ships at all on following turns.  Note that your starting Bastions have their own Repair Bays, so if your fleet happens to be in your home system, you could simply NM them home, RN the entire fleet into your Bastion fleet, and let them sit there until the next turn begins.  With 3 Bastions providing 5 Repair Bays each, your fleet will almost certainly be completely repaired (at the beginning of the turn following their arrival into that force, as that is when all repairs take place).  Having a fleet at the same location as another fleet with Repair Bays is not enough--the ships need to be in the same fleet with the Repair Bays.
  5. Placing damaged ships in shipyards means scrapping and rebuilding them.  This is an extreme tactic that has several downsides--scrapping any ship in a fleet (even if you leaves others in that fleet not scrapped) will destroy all cargo in that fleet.  Also, such scrapped ships are of course out of action while they are being scrapped, so they don't contribute to anything until they are rebuilt, which takes yet another turn.  Your best bet is to simply have Repair Bays available in their fleet so as to effect rapid repairs in space.
  6. Placing a ship into shipyards would be done by way of a SCRP order, and is not something you should consider except perhaps in very extreme cases such as a stupendously large ship that has been critically damaged.  Even then you might be better off simply repairing it in place with Repair Bays, but scrapping-and-rebuilding remains an edge-case option.