Rolling Thunder Forums

Class G Warp Point

Eldred

I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to survey a class G WP.

Firstly I have no idea as to what the difficulty level of a class G is. Extrapolating from the tables in the warp survey supplement I am guessing at about 170-180.

So far I have only used 5 MkII JSS (don't have MKIIIs yet!), but the fleet is carrying a level 5 explorer and a level 4 scientist. I reckon this reduces the difficulty by 70% (if the tables in the supplement are can be extended that way). 70% off of 180 leaves 54, so I reckon 5 MkIIs won't be too far off!

Before I send in more JSS and start using up more orders on this, I wanted to check I wasn't missing something here. Has anyone successfully surveyed a class G? Do my calculations look ok? Is there a cut off point as to what a MkII can successfully survey?

Hello Eldred,

I haven't surveyed any class G yet.

But just trying to think with you: I am not sure that experienced explorers and scientists still help over level 3 in surveying, at least, I did not read that from the documentation. I suppose you have seen additional benefits, or are you assuming that the bonusses continue to rise at higher levels?

If they do not rise further, that may explain why you cannot survey the warp point.

Also, I would guess that the difficulty of a class G may be a lot higher than 180 points.

How long have you been researching MK III Jump Survey Sensors?

Do you have an estimate of how many RC-turns it takes (supposing only 1 RC is researching this item)?

Kind regards,

AKO,

Thanks for the response. I am also not sure whether you get additional benefits over level 3. This was my main reason for posting this topic. I seem to remember (perhaps incorrectly) that I was able to survey a class D using Mk I JSS, a level 4 explorer and a scientist - so I sort of assumed that they do give additional help over level 3.

I was guessing about 180 points for a class G as the sequence goes C35...D70..E100.... Could be a lot more though, like you say.

Have been researching Mk IIIs for about 6 turns now, have still a long way to go. No idea how long it will take :beer:

BTW, I can't build installations to help as the system is a WP nexus :blink:

Regards,

Eldred

The chart in the Warp Point Survey Missions document for scientists and explorers indicates that it shows the values for the lower-level leaders - the higher-level ones also provide benefit - so using your level 5 and level 4 leaders works great. Note, however, that the values do not add directly (a Voyager and a Technologist on the same fleet would not reduce the Survey Difficulty of the Warp Point by 30+15=45%, so that could be throwing your calculations off slightly.

Thanks Pete,

"a Voyager and a Technologist on the same fleet would not reduce the Survey Difficulty of the Warp Point by 30+15=45%"

So the actual reduction is >30% and <45% but as it only throws off my calculations "slightly" I am guessing it is nearer to 45%!

It would seem that my attempts to survey the class G looked doomed to failure (an actual reduction of 60% instead of 70% would probably leave me well short, even if G's are only 170 difficulty)....back to the drawing board....now when will my scientists develop MkIII's? :beer:

Hi Eldred..

I have a 2xG and an 1xH surveyed and a colony ship going back and forth (huge lumber deposit). :blink:

granted the 1xG is from my home system and the 1xH is back from the home system. :beer:

The issue with Gs is there seems to distance as well as difficulty. The warp docuemnt mentions distance as a factor but does not go into that.

I popped the other G with 6 science installations and a pathfinder :D

Howdy,

Depending on the distance between the two stars, not including science structures or various leaders, I have a rough calculation of 75 MK IV JSS to survey a "G"

star.

Not able to test it as I have no "G"s available to me.

Good Cheer,

Rick McFarland

Do you know the diminishing returns formula for multiple JSS's? Without knowing that, you can't do a calculation. You can only experiment through trial and error.

At any rate, I'm under the impression that the addition of 2 top level characters and a few installations will allow a single MK IV to survey just about any warppoint.

Hi Woolfe,

I don't have Pete/Russ's actual formula but a working hypothesis formula that

has seen some confirmation with the lower JSS marks.

I do have to agree that with two top level leaders and some installations any

warp point can be broken. Just have to have the ability to build the installations

in system in order to help.

My comments were only ment to further the discussion not to offend.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Ah, technology at its finest will later in the game allow you to modify Warp Points...could come in handy to increase their difficulty :jawdrop:

/Locklyn

Hi Woolfe,

I don't have Pete/Russ's actual formula but a working hypothesis formula that

has seen some confirmation with the lower JSS marks.

I do have to agree that with two top level leaders and some installations any

warp point can be broken. Just have to have the ability to build the installations

in system in order to help.

My comments were only ment to further the discussion not to offend.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Humvie:

I was not offended at all. My question was a not rhetorical. If you knew the formula, I was hoping you'd tell us. What is your working hypothesis? Thanks in advance.

- woolfe

I have successfully surveyed a type G warp point with the following;

Ranger level explorer

Senior Scientist

and 16 Mk II JSS's

I got it on the first try with these characters so I don't know how much overkill on the ships there was. I calculated a Type G at about 200 strength(nice round number).

:jawdrop: