Rolling Thunder Forums

Alliances

Moonshadow

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trading information with other players is a nice way for an independent or small groups of friends to stay in touch with advances without making long term commitments to an alliance that might not be strategically viable.

For a long time there was really only one obvious diplomatic/strategic alliance: the GSL.

PA has come along to add a welcome flavor to the political landscape.

The GSL is by far the most resourceful, visible alliance to date. Further, they have a long list of nice people.

Phoenix Arisen also have some nice people, of course. PA is newer, but also resourceful. I don't see the gap in timing to be a major factor provided that the talented players in PA stay on top of things. At this stage, I would venture to guess that PA is here to stay in a big big way.

The real questions are these:

1) Will these two larger alliances work against each other for lack of a more intriguing target?

2) How many independents and small groups with "wait and see my neighbor" policies are there?

3) What are the chances that alliance members will have the opportunity to work with each other IN the game within a year...two....three?

4) How long until the first year tech tree is completely revealed, eliminating a strong incentive for newer players to join established alliances?

5) Just how powerful will these alliances REALLY be?

6) Without alliances, how strong would the interest in this game remain given the first year of empire building?

I think alliances are vital for maintaining player interest in the game. I don't think being part of an alliance will give a tremendous advantage to a player if he/she remains active with the boards and offers to trade tech information with others.

A year from now, the diplomatic landscape should be much more diverse with the arrival of actual contact and conflict. At least I hope so.....

The last thing I want to see is everyone and their dog join a huge "nice guy" alliance out of the exclusive need to gain research tech paths and stave off boredom.

B) I feel that joining a alliance like the GSL is good for more than just getting tech info, but also in talking and sharing many game details and asking others specific in game questions and getting good answers that are both helpful and learning in the process. Remember sharing ones details and being able to be open and compare in many things, helps everyone grow and further develope in both game understanding and make everyone that much more knowledgeable. Also it is a way to make friends and contacts and to build trust...! You get out of it what you put into basically.

Kum-by-ya, kum-by-ya....

**Meanwhile at an undisclosed Q Republic Listening Post**

Tech SGT: "Lieutenant! Our sensors have detected the usage of the dread Joan Baez MDD!"

LT: "Typical. The Intelligence Ministry just reported that they had just completed their research on Mk III Comfortable Shoe technology. Apparently, our spies are a bit behind. Send a flash message to High Command warning them of this new development."

Tech SGT: "Yessir!"

:lol:

TO: Minister of Research, Minister of Alien Affairs

RE: Alien transmission proving the existence of comfortable shoe insole technology

<EXCERPT>

Translated Alien Voice Number One: I'm sorry. I should have looked both ways.

Translated Alien Voice Two: No problemo! It was my fault.

Translated Alien Voice Number One: Pardon, me, but if I'm not mistaken, you must be Gellin'

Translated Alien Voice Two: Like a felon.

<END OF EXCERPT TRANSMISSION>

Research Update on Scholls Technology: Nearly completed

Comfirm. We are not alone. Repeat. We are not alone.

I'll drink to that! It would appear from this thread that the HBOB is just not being taken seriously.

What a shame.

--------------------

HBOB, Chief Brewmaster

Remember, when people are out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

So you might as well kick back and have another beer.

No, No, Phoenix Arisen is Serious about your potential aid to Our Alliance. Think about it, we get burned up, then rise from the ashes.....Duh, next we need a nice beer. The Potential for trade is HUGE.

MarcoHard Loyal Phoenix Arisen Member

Having just received the PA tech chart (the one offered to all) and also knowing 90%+ of the GSL chart I would say PA is either comparable or better than the GSL tech chart.

This probably comes from them joing at the same time while the GSL has some 0 SRP point empires and many empires with 4-6 turns under their belt (who are not adding to the tech chart).

Brewmasters,

here's a slogan.

Consumito Ergo Sum :beer: (I drink therefore I am)

Sorry to my Latin buddies for bast***izing their language. Or to quote a famous politician. "Boy I wish I had studied Latin in school so I could have talked to the people in Latin America" (name that polictian B) )

Long

Live Emanon