Rolling Thunder Forums

Mental Powers Need Explaining

Locklyn

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokmok,

My guess is, and I have't been able to confirm this as only recently did the TAC start to work properly for mental powers, that only Special Talent units give ratings in the mental power category, which I personally find a wee bit weird. I'm checking on it this turn and will get back to you on that :cheers:

:cheers:

/locklyn

• 2 weeks later...
Tokmok,

My guess is, and I have't been able to confirm this as only recently did the TAC start to work properly for mental powers, that only Special Talent units give ratings in the mental power category, which I personally find a wee bit weird. I'm checking on it this turn and will get back to you on that :)

:unsure:

/locklyn

I don't know if the mental power TAC areas are confined solely to the Special Talent division without checking the database, but why would it be weird? Armor rating comes from units that have armor units, transport from trucks etc, mental powers from where you concentrate your best and brightest, gifted mental power experts.

If so, it's a gigantic advantage for mental power races on the TAC front anyway, because they would only have to build a single division to apply their mental power technologies into the appropriate TAC areas--a big time advantage in division construction/army formation.

• 1 month later...

Pete has assured me that there are actually paths to those areas described in the rules under mental powers so I will rest on this issue for now and slowly gnaw my way down life sciences, medical science, psychology and social sciences in hopes of gaining some insight into this assurance...

Cheers

/Locklyn

Mental powers??? I have a race that picked the max in each rating for a whopping

600 points. So far all I have seen are MDD's based on the specific mental power.

While this is all well and a good just how are these MDD's affected by beings that are

resistant? The rules seem to imply that races with mental powers will feel discomfort or even outright pain in the presence of beings with natural disruption

but how does that affect physcial bombs dropped from orbit that emulate those affects? I think the true benefit from those races that have such mental powers will

become available when espionage and using special agents becomes available.

I was hoping that some ground unit tech based on mental powers would become visible but to date none have shown themselves

Yes I know Honored One, the situation is the same for me with spending 600 points on mental powers I've wanted more than the MDDs since the rules clearly say there are more things to be gained for mental powered races. With initial research along "logical" paths showing nothing of future research becoming available I've queried Pete both on the boards and here and never got a good answer but Pete lately assured me that there was more to mental powers and we just need to find the right path...so perhaps we mental races should get ourselves a guild and get bouncing on the ball so to speak?

Cheers

/Locklyn

It's very important to note that the 600 points spent to max out all three mental power areas already grants massive bonuses. It's a fabulous way to gain ground combat bonuses at a very, very inexpensive price. The TAC area bonuses that stack with the others and are very difficult (if not out right impossible) to counter, are worth it right there. There are also other bonuses such as in substantially increased exploration success chances that make mental powers a great buy. Even if you never happened to discover anything else related to your mental powers, they stand on their own right now in ground combat and exploration alone.

The 600 points spent on maxing out all three mental powers could have been spent on three other areas, such as Energy Focus, Sonic Attack & Superior Flying. Those grant some nice ground combat bonuses, too, but just because mental powers sound more exotic doesn't mean they should be given more firepower. That wouldn't be fair to the Sonic Attack races :alien:

Huh? Now you are sounding like that is what mental powers are...ground combat areas, some exploration bonuses and ability to build some MDDs that none mental races cannot...and nothing else? What are all the blurbs in the rules about then? Just windowdressing that didn't make it into the game? :alien:

The true rewards for having a mental power come only when you have devoted the research & development time necessary to bring

out the potential of that power.

A powerful ESPer may be able to perceive events out of time as well which could allow for the

acquisition of knowledge which could not be obtained in any other way.

Powerful telekinetics can be extremely dangerous in combat situations and

their powers have obvious scientific & industrial advantage potential as well.

Note: Remember that the true rewards of having mental powers are realized only when you have developed the training & equipment needed

to exploit that potential.

Those are all quotes from the rules on which we based our setups. If they are false then so are the premises on which one attempted to create ones race? If so then not only should the rules be changed to reflect the reality we play in one should be able to change that choice as well *sigh*

/Locklyn

Sure, mental powers have other uses. But what do you expect for 600 points? They can't be ridiculously powerful for the cost, or other players who spent the same 600 points on other lifeform features would be irritated. I'll say it again: you're getting huge, wonderful bonuses from ground combat and exploratoin alone. Stackable TAC that can't be countered easily (or at all) by non-mental-power races is a gigantic advantage in its own right. Bonuses on all exploration fleets everywhere at no production cost is pretty incredible. Mental powers are a great buy, but you can purchase other things too with those points, and empires that make that choice need to get similar value for the cost.

I like mental powers - they provide a ton of bang for the buck.

The question was not whether the 600 points were worth it for those features you've mentioned but IF IT IS DEAD END with those points you mentioned or mental powers can at this time be DEVELOPED FURTHER within the game through research as the rulebook states or if this is an unimplemented feature?

Ie...Can you find paths to research to gain those features mentioned in the rules?`

/Locklyn

Great, then we know that there is indeed some way to further research mental powers as stated in the rules, was a wee bit worried with your earlier comment

Even if you never happened to discover anything else related to your mental powers, they stand on their own right now in ground combat and exploration alone.

But now we just have to find those paths...and pooling the mental powered races to explore the logical avenues first and hopefully find em soon.

Thanks Pete!

/Locklyn

Sure, mental powers have other uses. But what do you expect for 600 points? They can't be ridiculously powerful for the cost, or other players who spent the same 600 points on other lifeform features would be irritated. I'll say it again: you're getting huge, wonderful bonuses from ground combat and exploratoin alone. Stackable TAC that can't be countered easily (or at all) by non-mental-power races is a gigantic advantage in its own right. Bonuses on all exploration fleets everywhere at no production cost is pretty incredible. Mental powers are a great buy, but you can purchase other things too with those points, and empires that make that choice need to get similar value for the cost.

I like mental powers - they provide a ton of bang for the buck.

We did not purchase max on mental powers. However, it appears our research rates are somewhat higher than races without such powers (less than 12 turns for Improved techs). Based on current exploration results, can't say exploration has been helped. And sure would like random number generator to give us the leaders we THOUGHT we'd get with our set up. (Finally got a scout!) (Anyone need a couple detectives?)

Octus Imperium

:alien:

The exploration bonus from mental powers doesn't show up as an EXM modifier for your lifeform - it adds in directly, as if you had some extra exploration gear installed on your ships. It's a pretty decent bonus, especially for the maxed-out races.

I will say that advancing past level-4 status that can be purchased at setup is possible but not at all easy.