Rolling Thunder Forums

Revolutions & Exile

Clan Elder 'Keen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choosing the new Emperor seems to be a little too easy (who wouldn't just choose the most worthless character you can think of...for the next Emperor of your Empire?).

How about this: I could change it to take the highest-ranking Diplomat-class character that you have. The Emperor was a Diplomat, and you're going to lose him anyway. The next highest-ranking Diplomat becomes the new Emperor, so in the end you actually gain some rank (the new Emperor, who was a Diplomat already, becomes the Emperor, which is the highest rank a Diplomat can aspire to in any event).

Sounds great! My only question: suppose you have no diplomat other than your emporer?

Choosing the new Emperor seems to be a little too easy (who wouldn't just choose the most worthless character you can think of...for the next Emperor of your Empire?).

How about this: I could change it to take the highest-ranking Diplomat-class character that you have. The Emperor was a Diplomat, and you're going to lose him anyway. The next highest-ranking Diplomat becomes the new Emperor, so in the end you actually gain some rank (the new Emperor, who was a Diplomat already, becomes the Emperor, which is the highest rank a Diplomat can aspire to in any event).

I Like it but, Unpopular thought here', a random Diplomat may perhaps be better as one never knows who is going to rise to the top in a chaotic situation like a revolution and you will need a default in case there are no diplomts.

I'd also like to be able to pick a new flag. From a real-world standpoint (oh no!), you didn't see the Russians keeping the hammer and sickle after they disbanded the Soviet Union.

I don't thisk this will fly. Your Empire is known by the flag and the name. if you can change one or the other whenever you have a revolution it could cause a lot of confusion once a war starts. (Why the hell am I being attacked by "A Red Flag under a bull's nose" all of the sudden does my enemy have a new ally ????

Just my thoughts

Gary

How about this: I could change it to take the highest-ranking Diplomat-class character that you have.

Actually, I like the idea of the next guy in line being the one to assume the mantle. There SHOULD be a penalty for a revolution, and if it means your best scientist (as an example) becomes a diplomat, well, there ya go.

Which do you like better, your existing situation, with your current Emperor/Diplomat and Chief Scientist, or a new government, with your Chief Scientist having to assume role of chief diplomat?

The alternative I would promote is making it completely random. I actually prefer the random method, but oh well. Making it your next best diplomat, to me, is too cheap.

Hey Pete and others,

I know that getting to pick the new Emperor sounds too easy but I really don't think it matters.

Let's say I have a lowly sergeant and an Emperor (all of the other characters don't matter for this example). I have a revolution and I pick the sergeant to be the new Emperor. What's the end result? I still have an Emperor just like I had before (didn't gain anything here) and now I'm short a sergeant (lost a charater). When looking only at the effects on characters, this isn't any different than if I Exiled the sergeant....and I can use that order every turn if I want. Same thing in Pete's example. When it comes down to it, by "promoting" the diplomat to Emperor, your Empire didn't gain another high level diplomat, you only replaced the Emperor and lost the other diplomat.

I thought the whole point of the Revolution order was to let us get a better mix of the types of characters we want, not an order to cause caos in the Empire. Getting to pick the Emperor is just another small tool to accomplish this and we can only do it once every 25 turns.

If you are going to make it completely random then why not have the government types be chosen at random??? The reason is that the order is intended to allow you, the player, to choose the type of government so you can have more influence on the types of characters that you recruit. If I'm choosing the government, then I think choosing the leader goes right along with it. We are not trying to simulate, in any way, a revolution. The only purpose in changing gov types is to influence character recruitment.

.......(who wouldn't just choose the most worthless character you can think of...for the next Emperor of your Empire?)......

Worhtless charcters? :robot: There shouldn't be any in the game, but if so, then this is a good way to put them to use. That's what this is all about, isn't it? Making more useful characters.

How about this:  I could change it to take the highest-ranking Diplomat-class character that you have.

Actually, I like the idea of the next guy in line being the one to assume the mantle. There SHOULD be a penalty for a revolution, and if it means your best scientist (as an example) becomes a diplomat, well, there ya go.

Which do you like better, your existing situation, with your current Emperor/Diplomat and Chief Scientist, or a new government, with your Chief Scientist having to assume role of chief diplomat?

The alternative I would promote is making it completely random. I actually prefer the random method, but oh well. Making it your next best diplomat, to me, is too cheap.

Next in line? That depends on the gov type. Who's next in line for a Monarchy, Plutocracy, Democracy, Dictatorship, Barbarism, Totalitarianism? How would Secondary Gov type and Tradition affect this?

This could all get very complicated. So when it comes down to it, it seems rather arbitrary considering what the order is intended to do (let you choose the gov. types).

If it's soley about imposing a penalty, then there are already at least a couple built in. You will loose one character no matter what, and by switching gov types you will lessen your chances of getting some other types of characters.

.......(who wouldn't just choose the most worthless character you can think of...for the next Emperor of your Empire?)......

Of course "worthless" in today's perspective will likely change 10 turns from now when evil Pete adds in the "oh my god, _______ characters are really cool now" code. The only reason one would be considered "worthless" is because the code is not in yet for them.

In the grand scheme of things Pete, does picking the new Emperor from any of the creme-de-la-creme really matter?

Dwillard:

I'd like to be able to make the choice too. But Pete's suggestion of making it the next highest level diplomat is a lot better than it just being the next highest level character. I guess it would suck for those who were changing over because they wanted more diplomats, but it's an improvement over what he initially intended. Go with it.

- woolfe

Idea: Instead of promoting an existing leader, simply do not check for recruitment on the turn of a revolution and instead "recruit" a new emporer to replace the old one. That way you.... 1) Don't lose some other leader who might be stationed elsewhere, 2) Don't have to worry about not having a Diplomat to be promoted, and 3) have a reasonable penalty for a revolution (lose one turn of recruitment).

Woolfe,

You're right. I, too, would rather it be from the Diplomatic corp than just simply your highest character. But that presents problems as well.

However, thanks to the Clan Elder, I think we have a perfect solution. No recruitment (other than the Emperor who is replacing the old one so you are not actually gaining a character) for that turn is a pretty decent penalty and it also reflects the caos of changing governments without interfering with playability and other game play issues.

Pete???