Rolling Thunder Forums

Revolutions & Exile

Clan Elder 'Keen

Hobknob,

I didn't say character generation was deficient. The deficiency has to do with not knowing upfront how each gov. type affects recruitment and the fact that not all of the character abilities are "turned on". You can also add to this that very little is known about how the characters work and how they are affected by the various installations.

Because of this deficiency, some players do feel slighted. It was my point that, if some players didn't feel slighted, there wouldn't be a need for this new order at all. And if indeed this new order is meant to compensate for the deficiency, then there shouldn't be a penalty.

I also like the idea of social upheaval during a revolution but this game doesn't have an intricately designed social system to disrupt so why compare and contrast all this stuff about what should happen during a revolution. I hate to sound like I'm talking for Pete, because I'm not, but I doubt he'll want to program all this social upheaval stuff. So, my other point is, this order really isn't about a revolution at all. It's a cool name (and I like it) but it's not what the order is intended to do.

Maybe Pete does plan on adding a lot of this stuff in over time. If he does, then the penalties can be added in as the benefits are added in.

On a side note:

...the government type has a direct effect on what ever the character does.

I don't think so, not that I've noticed anyway. As far as I know, all character classes work the same no matter what the gov. type.

Until such time that we know a lot more about how characters work and how they interact with installations and what other things gov types affect (and how) and all of these things are "turned on", I don't think there should be a stiff penalty (like loosing a hard earned high level character) for changing gov types. I don't think it's fair.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I was under the impression that there were social events that could effect an empire although these may have only been associated with catastrophic failure of a fusion plant or something. Since there are numerous installations that have no other purpose than placating the masses it would also lead one to believe that some of that stuff could happen. I am not under an illusions as to the current status of such programs and am compltely open to the idea that these events may not even be implemented yet, but the idea is there all the same.

Hobknob,

Social disorder/Civil unrest is an implied factor in the game based on the descriptions of certain buildings (Imperial Prison, Sports Complex, etc.) whose functions are to mitigate civilian "unhappiness". Additionally, the basic concept of Fanatics presumes a citizen morale that can be whipped into a religious, or nationalist, frenzy.

However as DWillard has stated there seems to be many components/facets of the game that we have not seen yet. Whether it is because they are not "turned on" (or even present) in the code or the appropriate conditions have not occurred, I can't tell you. What I can state is that no one on any of the game related boards I frequent has claimed to have seen or generated a civilian uprising for (e.g. fanatics) or against (e.g. rebellion) a player's [imperial] government. :(

I do have to agree with those on this board who advocate that the name Revolution for the Order is some what of a misnomer, since the function of the Order is to allow players to create the social enviroment that they thought they were creating when they initially created their empires.

I'm just happy that I have a document that explains what my government and tradition actually do for my empire. :angry2:

Nope, had to ask Pete specifically about this and Govt type and tradition ONLY affects the type of characters recruited and promotion chances...I too was under the impression that these choices counted for me as the rules were Vague to say the least on everything pertaining to characters but that is nothing new... :angry2:

/Locklyn

Nope, had to ask Pete specifically about this and Govt type and tradition ONLY affects the type of characters recruited and promotion chances...I too was under the impression that these choices counted for me as the rules were Vague to say the least on everything pertaining to characters but that is nothing new...

/Locklyn

A wee bit o' venom in thy post, eh? :angry2:

Nah, not meant to be venomy more of tired resignation actually... :(

And especially no venom at Pete and Russ...the rulebook though is another matter entirely being a rather obtuse and non infomational document :angry2:

Had hoped to get a reply out of Pete on turn matters before the turn ran but no joy...oh well to boldly do errors in the dark ever more...

I did add a smiley yellow thingy to take some sting out of it...

Oh well...

/Locklyn

S'okay Locklyn ...

I understand completely where you are coming from concerning the Rulebook. There are many implications and assertions in the basic rules that can be interpretted in a variety of ways, not to mention a few assumptions that were made on the design side that aren't particular clear in the rules either. :huh:

Things are getting better ... then again, it could be time to up my meds. :lol:

I just wanted to flag you to the fact that your message came across to me as a teensy bit more bitter than I think you intended it to be.

Good Luck and Good Gaming*

*except to Bloodletter, you just get the Gaming part. :taz:

Thanks my mate, I need the odd slap on my scaly forehead every now and then to remember that actually...working as an ER Nurse I can get those meds :taz:

Good luck and Gaming to you as well mate

/Locklyn