Rolling Thunder Forums

Revolutions & Exile

Clan Elder 'Keen

Only if you want some sort of bonus production on the colony world instead of at home. Most of the time, the homeworld is the best choice as each leader can provide bonuses to each production area (Crystals, Iron and so on).

I see. It seems the only situation where you would want one on a colony world is if you had some absurdly high yeild (e.g. 600+) on that world and wanted a percentage bonus on top of it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't have to be *obscenely* high, it would just have to higher than said yield on your homeworld. If your Homeworld has a Yield of 3 for Iron, a colony with a Yield of 300 would seem pretty good to me. :lol:

I don't think so. Pete just said that a character has a chance to give an add to each thing being produced on the world. You'd have to really have a higher total resource yield on the colony than your HW, or at least 1 yield in an important resource like iron that is obscenely high.

Which is why my planetary registry has a spot for "total yield" as well as each individual resource. That way I can determine which planets are the overall best pick for a mining colony.

Homeworld only.

Aaarghhh...

This Pete goes against what you've stated earlier when you said that placing scientists on science colonies increased chances of a breakthrough or "something interesting" depending on how alien the world was from your homeworld *banging head on desk* So...having placed scientists on six science colonies in different systems on your earlier comments was a waste of time and resources as is maintaining those as science colonies *sigh*

Not easy to have a strategy in this game :taz:

/Lars

I can't wait for the new stuff to be put in. Assasination would be awesome. I have many agents just waiting for something to do.

Homeworld only.

Aaarghhh...

This Pete goes against what you've stated earlier when you said that placing scientists on science colonies increased chances of a breakthrough or "something interesting" depending on how alien the world was from your homeworld *banging head on desk* So...having placed scientists on six science colonies in different systems on your earlier comments was a waste of time and resources as is maintaining those as science colonies *sigh*

Not easy to have a strategy in this game 

/Lars

Ummmm, Pete

This is actually pretty naughty! :python:

I'm one who staunchly supports your desire to keep tech under control, but this is going one too far.

You have explicitly stated in the past that Scientists would do better by setting up Science Colonies that are on worlds very different from your own.

To change your mind now after some have been playing over a year is just plain wrong.

Please reconsider.......... :taz:

Whoops - my mistake. Scientists work fine on colony worlds. I checked the code fast to post an answer here, and I saw some code that referred to the homeworld -- it had to do with attrition checks and not scientists after all. I've also been told by some players that they've received scientist hits on colony worlds since I added the scientist print statements.

Nothing to worry about <whew>.

I had removed the chance for scientists to work on research projects while on fleets (they had to be on a world, any world) but had been thinking about adding that back in (working on something while the ship sails around, so he's not wasting his time). He wouldn't be as effective as being on a world, but a research hit is always good. This would make scientists pretty good, as they could help on SURV missions and still have a shot at research, but they still aren't as good as Explorers on the SURVey front. Have any objections to adding that in, to help out a little on the research end?

Whoops - my mistake. Scientists work fine on colony worlds. I checked the code fast to post an answer here, and I saw some code that referred to the homeworld -- it had to do with attrition checks and not scientists after all. I've also been told by some players that they've received scientist hits on colony worlds since I added the scientist print statements.

Nothing to worry about <whew>.

I had removed the chance for scientists to work on research projects while on fleets (they had to be on a world, any world) but had been thinking about adding that back in (working on something while the ship sails around, so he's not wasting his time). He wouldn't be as effective as being on a world, but a research hit is always good. This would make scientists pretty good, as they could help on SURV missions and still have a shot at research, but they still aren't as good as Explorers on the SURVey front. Have any objections to adding that in, to help out a little on the research end?

Thanks for the clarification Pete. The second question is, is there any benefit to having them on a colony vs. having them on the HW? In other words, could their chances of achieving a breakthrough be heightened by being on a different world?

And yes, would be great if they worked on fleets as well. I doubt you'll get many dissenters on that.

Thanks for the clarification Pete. The second question is, is there any benefit to having them on a colony vs. having them on the HW? In other words, could their chances of achieving a breakthrough be heightened by being on a different world?

And yes, would be great if they worked on fleets as well. I doubt you'll get many dissenters on that.

1) Scientists can creat research hits on other colonies

2) You are considering allowing them to do research hits from a ship at a lower % chance?

Posting scientists on unusual worlds can provide a benefit. The homeworld has the benefit of having a higher production base, so you might have built some installations there that help out. You could have built the same installations on a colony world. Posting them on fleets right now zeros their chance for success, but I could easily eliminate that. They could then succeed, but they wouldn't be as good as world-based scientists (they could, however, perform SURVey missions).

Heh, I don't know--dissenters come out of the woodwork on occasion :lol:

What would be cool is having the scientist in the fleet's chances of getting a breakthrough be influenced by the science lab on the fleet. If there's no lab, or a Type A, the chances would be worse than on the homeworld. At say type B, the chances are about as good as the HW. At type C, maybe about as good as on a colony. At Type D and beyond, perhaps a little better. You could make the bonuses different than what I just suggested, but it's a good concept.

Not that this is entirely relevant, but in the real world there can be benefits to deep space research, if you have the right equipment.

- Dave

Phew! Okay, that coincides wíth what you said before, and the science buildings still affect chance of breakthrough as you said before? Just want it in rock solid writing as you said quite a lot of tidbits on the old boards :taz:

I like your idea of scientists on fleets being able to get hits, with all the funky stuff they see from their science station on the ship some odd idea should pop into their head even if as you said it should be a lesser degree of success as they have far less facilities at hand. Much like the science officers of Star Fleet :python: Btw just started viewing the whole of the STNG series again on DVD with my daughter and in the "The Lost Colony" Episode they find a world that was the outermost outpost of the once so mighty Tkon Empire!? :python:

I'm not expecting all scientists to be wesley crusher, indeed it would lead to a massacre species wise on scientists but a hit just like a production result is something fun and positive happening on your turn which balances those wacky spreadsheet mistakes one does when juggling all the numbers, like my building 12 million crystals instead of the 1,2 million...one little zero can do a lot of damage...

Okay, I'm calm again...thanks mate *sets icepack on forehead*

Cheers

/Locklyn

BTW I like Daves idea but would probably be more codework than just setting a slim chance for them...

And Russ, we don't use tar and feathers up here, too cold for the tar so we chain people to rabid reindeer instead :python:

I can't wait for the new stuff to be put in. Assasination would be awesome. I have many agents just waiting for something to do.

Lugal, stay away from my HW please, nothing to see there, just keep moving on..... :cheers: All my agents are on Counter espionage and protection of important people. :)