Rolling Thunder Forums

I am new to supernova

USMC_POINTMAN

Another piece of advise I would have, is to try to make friends with those players that you actually encounter "InGame". A local allie is far greater, than a long distance one can ever be. Once you make contact, and make friends, try to specialize in different tech and work together to further each other's empire. The key is Team-work. As to alliances, well they all have their different points! The real secret to lasting success, is "Contact with ones local allies/members".

I of course reccommend crushing your neighbors! :robot::alien2:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I disagree with Herr Wolfe concerning the importance of Lumber and Radioactive Elements, I do not think he is wrong. To me, Lumber is only important, early on, in the manufacturing of Construction Materials (Standard, Improved or Advanced). There may be some other use for Lumber, but as of yet, my Empire has not found it. While on the other hand Steel and Electronics are used in a multitude of items. Steel requires Iron. Electronics requires Crystals and Synthetic Materials, which in turn, requires Gaseous Elements, Petrochemicals and Industrial Chemicals.

If you are a prolific breeder (e.g. Anything above default Reproduction) and/or a Colonizer-style race, then Construction Materials become more important and would thereby increase the importance of Lumber (as MadMartin pointed out).

If you are niether, as my Race is, Construction Materials aren't as important, which decreases the importance of Lumber.

Regardless of where you stack 'em, I agree that Iron, Lumber, Crystals, Petrochemicals, Gaseous Elements, Industrial Chemicals, Light Metals and Radioactive Elements are more important than Gemstones, Coal and the rest.

-SK :robot:

Another piece of advise I would have, is to try to make friends with those players that you actually encounter "InGame". A local allie is far greater, than a long distance one can ever be. Once you make contact, and make friends, try to specialize in different tech and work together to further each other's empire. The key is Team-work. As to alliances, well they all have their different points! The real secret to lasting success, is "Contact with ones local allies/members".

I of course reccommend crushing your neighbors! :robot::alien2:

What was the quote by Napoleon: "I'd rather fight an alliance than be in one." :lol:

-SK :alien2:

PS - I'm probably paraphrasing, apologies to any hardcore Napoleon fans out there. :alien2:

quick thoughts:

1) Yeah lumber is friggin SCARCE it seems :alien2: (For those who haven't read my Evarlasting Spam, you should know that my race are prolific breeders... :nuke: + :robot: = :alien2: )

2) My opinion on CMs: I don't suggest building any normal CMs. Its better to colonize and maximize yields than have SM/ICs anyway - so jsut scrap your SM/ICs and use those for BI (Iron Mines etc) At some point you'll need Improved ICs (require Improved Construction Materials) I've been too lazy to do a comparative analysis on the efficiency of Improved SM and BI....off the top of my head my thought was that BI is STILL more efficient (Fellas?)

3) I agree that you are looking at LEAST 6-8 months before you make contact.

4) Look for the thread in Rules MEchanics that talks about common mistakes.....thats a GREAT thread for new players to read :alien2:

You can take what seem to be two approaches: 1) The Great Turtle, or 2) The Deep Space Explorer.

You forgot 3) The Ostrich

I utilize the head-in-the-sand strategy quite effectively for several of my test empires. I figure that if I close my eyes, nobody will find me :robot:

Another good thought for creatures new to the 'game' would be learning proper and imaginative use of convoy routes and standing orders. They can make industrial production and colony expansion much more efficient, and cut down on the number of orders needed per turn for standard infrastructure upkeep, saving orders for more important items and potentially money.

-Sha'thar

Why are Radioactive Elements ranked up there with the other important base materials? Processed Radioactives are used in a lot of weapons trees but not all. Only other major use that I can think of is engines, but at 100 tons / engine, I can't see it ranking up there with Crystals, Iron, etc. which have so many other uses. I know it's all relative, but I would group Radioactive Elements more with Light Metals and Rare Elements.

an engine takes:

100 processed Rad, 200 Steel, 100 Elec & 100 Synthetic.

100 Processed Radioactives = 300 Radioactives. To convert your 30 Berthing ship to an 8AP ship requires 2100 engines (MK II Fusion). This would be quite a bit of Radioactives.

In order of importance it would be Iron (600 per engine, gaseous/petro and Industrial 600 per engine, then radioactives)

I utilize the head-in-the-sand strategy quite effectively for several of my test empires. I figure that if I close my eyes, nobody will find me :alien2:

Ah ha - so that's why SENS doesn't work quite as we thought!

If you've got your eyes shut, then whatever the sensors are doing doesn't matter!

:robot:

Pete, get well soon and don't sneeze on the keyboard too much - it get's sticky!

Mx :alien2: