Rolling Thunder Forums

I am new to supernova

USMC_POINTMAN

QUOTE (Krelnett_of_Kraan @ Jan 21 2004, 05:57 PM)

The fuel thing was NOT obvious... 

Yeah, the fact that Advanced Fuel is used more as a coolant than a power source came as a surprise to me. 

As long as we're stating things that require special cargo handling, I thought I'd mention the following:

1 Colonist per Colonial Berthing

1 Ground Unit per Troop Berthing

I hope you're sufficiently confused now. 

-SK 

Not true...look at the Fortress unit..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok if 1 Cargo bay = 1ton

and 1 Fuel Tankage = 1ton

How many iron or steel or Construction Mats. can I put into a Cargo Bay.

How much fuel is 1ton.

1 ton of Fe or CM or steel or water or etc. will fit in a 1 ton cargo bay. 1 unit of fuel is 1 ton and will fit in 1 fuel tankage.

A ship is simply a collection of parts. no engines = a ground or orbital ship, no jump engines is an in-system ship. You choose the parts you want, cobble them together with the NUD order and fling it into the shipyards with the SHIP order.

Then assign it to a fleet, MOVE to a warp point and WARP into the next system. There you will encounter MadMartin, the mad pirate, who will blast you into bug dust and you can start a new and better ship design.

I didn't know that you couldn't put Improved Fuel or Advanced Fuel into Fuel Tankage either. I never tried it since I don't have anything that requires this type of fuel to operate....only to build.

Thanks for that bit of info.

building a ship... Now theres a project!

First off you have to make another mental picture of what you want the ship to actually do.

Do you want it to be a massive exploration ship with enough cargobays to hold just about

anything?

Do you want it to be a carrier of some kind that eject small fighter craft into space to do its fighting and defending for it?

Do you build a heavily armored ship with lots of weapons and shields and engines?

or do you build a ship thats good at busting warp points? the choices are nearly endless

and are all up to you in the end.

In order to build a ship you must first design it with the NUD order. then you construct the

ship components from raw materials

and lastly after you gather the required ship parts you issue the SHIP order and put those parts

together in your shipyards.

Important sidenote.... You have to have the parts ON HAND before ship construction actually begins so noone can build a ship with parts constructed during the turn.. Thats the way the turn

sequence goes. :(

Ok hi all thank you again for your help.

Now I need to know when I build stuff like fuel shuttles. Do they stay in the stoke pile untel I use them?

And does this work for everything, or can you loose stuff if you dont use it? :(:thumbsup:

Thank you.

Ok why do we need fuel refinerys if we just have to skim from planets? :huh:

Or do you have to drop the fuel off to refine it so you can use it for your ships?

If you dont have to refine it then why have refinerys?

For that matter why have refined fuel?

Thanks

Well Pointman sir! You dont really have to skim fuel but it sure does help if your

far from your homesystem and the only fuel source within 1 turns range is your nearest gas giant. The more advanced fuel producing installations are FAR more

efficient at producing fuel but you have to transport it out to your fleets. Skimming

fuel will help but then there are the warp nexus that will stop you cold if you didnt bring enough fuel along. There are also many items that require fuel in thier construction. Even Bombers and Ground Attack Fighters haveing both superior

missles ratings require just reqular fuel. It best to have some kind of fuel production back on the HomeWorld, :huh:

there isn´t an item called refined fuel

1) Fuel refineries and its more advanced kind

The "primitive" fuel refineries you are able to construct at the beginning of the game works automatically and converts 2 Gaseous elements into 10 fuel.

more advanced fuel refineries works in a similar way and converts petroleum perhaps even improved petroleum into fuel at a higher efficiency that the first primitive fuel refineries.

But it is the gaseous elements, petroleum etc that is "refined" into to Fuel.

There is no item called refined fuel.

2)

Fuel shuttles are in my opinion primarily for use on ships in systems different from your home system. It is easier to build a certain amount of fuel refineries on your home-world. Then you build a ship with a large (depending on your needs) amount of fuel tankage and place in a fleet at the home-world with a XLC (load cargo fuel) order and the SUPP order. Then it will automatically give fuel to any ships that are build at the home-world.

thanks

Tokmok

Well -not to sound like a broken record from the other advice on fuel....

Here is how I see it:

1) Build a large SKIM fleet if you have a gas giant in your system. I prefer SKIMing gas to refining fuel anyday....believe me...its worth the investment. (Remember 200 fuel per Shuttle....therefore build 200 Fuel Tankage to each Shuttle on your design...only need one little engine to propel it around the system at first....Example: Build 120,000 Fuel Tankage and 600 Fuel Shuttles....you will get 120,000 fuel every other turn once its convoyed -- now compare to refineries :P ) You might even conisder skimming in adjacent systems....once you go beyond your adjacent system, you start losing time/fuel efficiency until you develop more advanced engines (NTWD and Fusion/Antimatter stuff)

2) Invest in more advanced refineries before going overboard on standard Fuel Refineries. (Research Improved Petroleum, Improved CM, Advanced CM and hardhats to counter spontaneous meltdowns :D )

3) Fuel Shuttles are very nice to have for your deep exploration fleets.

4) Once you have a few inter-system colony convoy routes planned out, PLAN YOUR FUEL NEEDS AHEAD OF TIME, fuel it with tankage and provide orders to Load fuel to keep the convoy running (usually from HW that has massive stockpiles of fuel at this point from the skimming operations you invested in :thumbsup: )

5) At present, Improved/Advanced Fuel is only stored in Cargo Bays. Fuel Tankage only stores basic fuel....which is the only fuel source expended in warping between systems.

Skimmers work even better if they just sit over the planet. Use some other ships with lots of tankage to transport the fuel.

Also many homeworlds are going to be just fine for skimming. I wouldn't worry about going to a gas giant if you can get 80% or better rating from your homeworld. Luckily I ring in at 90% or better. :D And if you don't have a gas giant then many other planets will also work to some degree. You will just have to build a few more skimmers.

As you get better engines your skimmers will be much better than any installation you can build. Without better engines then installations are likely the way to go.

:lol: