Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonial attrition after installation builds

I think there may be some bugs in the attrition calulator for colonies. For several of my colonies I have built domed cites to offset atmosperic conditions. These colonies seem to have attrition that does not match what the new CSV's say should be there. In one case a couple of domed cities seemed to be ablet to cover 1000 pop and therefore I have no attrition and in another case it seems that the program is not recognizing that I have built additional cities and is killing off colonists at the origanal attrition rate. For the latter colony here are some specifics.

Colony pop 1400

domed cities 20 ( good for 2000 pop)

Original attrition was high

attrition after domed cities is extremely low

Original attrition was about 10-11% pop

domed cities were constructed in 2 batches of 10 each.

After the first 10 cities were built I notice some attrition that worked out perfectly to be 10-11% attrition of the colonists above 1000 ( pop covered by first 10 cities). Since then I have built 10 more domed cities to cover the rest of the population and allow for growth. What I continue to see is a 10-11% attrition toll on all colonists over 1000. Since I continue to transport 150 colonists a turn over this seems to indicate that the attrition is specifically for those colonists over 1000.

I fail to see how this could be anything other than a program error/bug. :(

hobknob

Has anyone else noticed that having both Domed Cities and Cities on the same world is very detrimental to attrition?

/Locklyn

Domed Cities help to wipe out atmospheric attrition, and also add a (much smaller) general attrition benefit. If there is no atmosphere problem, you'd still get the general benefit but it's probably not worth the extreme cost of Domed Cities just for that.

Regular Cities provide a small general attrition benefit, but are considerably less expensive.

On another issue, when you lose population in excess of the available unemployed pop at a colony, you lose Installations. There is a known Access database issue that ended up causing you to often lose Cities or Coal Fired Power Plants (these tend to appear near the top of your Installation list) instead of other things, like Iron Mines. I've corrected it to pick randomly among available Installations, but still need to tweak the code so that the random choice properly takes into account the quantity of available Installations. By that I mean if you have 1500 Iron Mines and 15 Cities, you should lose Iron Mines far out of proportion to Cities. You could still lose a City...but Iron Mines ought to have a much higher chance of being eliminated. This is especially true for higher-cost but numerically insignificant Installations such as Fission Power Plants :angry:

• 5 weeks later...

Had this buggy problem occur when attrition struck one of my colonies and destroyed all domed cities, all colonial installations, all powerplants and left the 1000 or so mines intact :D But it was corrected by Pete but it is apparently still a problem with the Acess software so keep an eye on your attritional reports.

/Locklyn

So far so good.

My first attempt with less-than-ideal atmospheres (without domed cities) sounded exactly as bad as Locklyn described.

Last turn, things were more sane. Will keep an eye out, though. I'm very relieved I didnt lose my Geothermal power plant this time around......and yes....the CMs go *poof* forever.

So how much attrition are you suffering and what is the rating? My colony that I still think is broken started at high attrition and I suffered about 10% a turn. Once I built all of my domed cities the attrition dropped to very low but not quite ideal and now I only suffer about 2%. Such a deal :D