Rolling Thunder Forums

Phoenix Arisen Alliance

PhaseDragon

Initially I joined the Phoenix Alliance to gain information about game mechanics and feel safer with someone "watching my back". I had contacted the GSL and got no response. At the time I was a member of ISIS which was only an alliance for information sharing. Of course all this was after my own failed alliance attempt. Why did I chose the Phoenix Alliance? They responded quickly, didn't demand anything from me, and were very knowledgable about the game. Currently I am at a loss as to what all the bad press means for me. I can't support a war with Eternus since I am a friend of his. I grew up in Colorado and went to high school with Don Lund. I don't know Lars or The Boo, or any of the declared enemies for that matter so those encounters will be decided at the appropriate time.

That said, I also understand the bitterness towards Martin as there are a number of people who feel betrayed by him. I am hoping that someday this can be resolved but any peaceful resolution seems unlikely. If I am attacked because of this so be it. It is a game and someone has to be the enemy. I will never back away from a fight. If I have one troop left he will fight to the end. I also will never purposely trash my empire to spoil the gains of someone who defeats me. If you can take me out then you deserve my stockpiles and such.

My current position regarding contact is the same as it has always been. I won't start a war unless provoked by agression.

Again,

I'm only at war with Martin.

I have nothing against the PA as long as they respect my borders and those of my alliance.

I'm NOT at war currently with any PA Empire except MMBs

I LIKE Ed, anyone who can make Excel do what he makes it do is a genius in my book a bit too many colours but thats just me :cheers:

So Phase, hope to meet and trade with you in the game!

:cheers:

/Locklyn

You can if you feel defeated do some wicked things to make it very hard for anyone who invades your world to actually gain something from it but in my book it is better to just keep building those troops and ships and keep fighting!!!

:rolleyes:

/Locklyn

Again,

I'm only at war with Martin.

I have nothing against the PA as long as they respect my borders and those of my alliance.

I'm NOT at war currently with any PA Empire except MMBs

I LIKE Ed, anyone who can make Excel do what he makes it do is a genius in my book a bit too many colours but thats just me :rolleyes:

So Phase, hope to meet and trade with you in the game!

:D

/Locklyn

Our government would like to echo Lord Locklyn's sentiment in regard to the PA. As long as they do not consider themsleves at war with us or our allies then there is no trouble whatsoever between the PA and the Consultatum.

Boo Consulate

The way in which you bring that up seems to imply there is an ongoing discussion of the subject elsewhere, assumedly among your alliance.

The discussion about this is probably the same discussion we have all had. It is about your answer to the question: Is is worth it to attack someone and NOT bomb them to oblivion.

The discussion about this is probably the same discussion we have all had. It is about your answer to the question: Is is worth it to attack someone and NOT bomb them to oblivion.

Just thinking laterally here.....

Yes, it might well be worth fighting someone before coming up with a diplomatic solution.....

1) You may find that it becomes useful to stop one war with agreements if you have to fight another.....

2) Through ongoing diplomacy with the empire you're fighting you might find you can like and trust that person and something new develops...the next best thing to an honourable ally is an honourable foe...

3) An empire may sue for peace and offer tribute - all the way to perhaps being a client state...

There are many reasons in this game, for it offers may different avenues to play beyond the 'empire expansion through conquest', for wars to cease before annihalation.....

Indeed, because this game offers more than a typical wargame, it's one of the great reasons to play - and as we've always maintained - the Star League intend to see if those other alternatives are viable... :rolleyes:

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

The way in which you bring that up seems to imply there is an ongoing discussion of the subject elsewhere, assumedly among your alliance.

Of course its worth not bombing them into oblivion... the spoils of war -- the loot, if you will, is the part of the iceberg *above* the waterline... we want the whole iceberg.

Yeah, we're greedy... but we know what we want.

Empires go through three stages. Conquerors, Administrators and wastrels. If you blow everything up, you never get to administrate.

Of course its worth not bombing them into oblivion... the spoils of war -- the loot, if you will, is the part of the iceberg *above* the waterline... we want the whole iceberg.

Yeah, we're greedy... but we know what we want.

Empires go through three stages. Conquerors, Administrators and wastrels. If you blow everything up, you never get to administrate.

The key is you have to take the empire to a point where it is no longer attacking you. Until the player drops it or you make them unable to make more ships you have no choice but to bomb. To do any less would be foolish on your part. That is saying a peaceful resolution is not possible.

The key is you have to take the empire to a point where it is no longer attacking you.  Until the player drops it or you make them unable to make more ships you have no choice but to bomb.  To do any less would be foolish on your part.  That is saying a peaceful resolution is not possible.

No No No No NO!!!!!!!

You need to land and take their stuff, :cheers: otherwise all their stockpiles are wasted and you get nothing for wirping them out. :cheers: What else is the point of going to all the trouble of going to war and defeating the enemy if you don't get anything out of it :cheers:

Not tht I would do anything mean like landing troops and eating(umm i mean beating) another race. :blink:

The key is you have to take the empire to a point where it is no longer attacking you.  Until the player drops it or you make them unable to make more ships you have no choice but to bomb.  To do any less would be foolish on your part.  That is saying a peaceful resolution is not possible.

No No No No NO!!!!!!!

You need to land and take their stuff, :P otherwise all their stockpiles are wasted and you get nothing for wirping them out. :taz: What else is the point of going to all the trouble of going to war and defeating the enemy if you don't get anything out of it :thumbsup:

Not tht I would do anything mean like landing troops and eating(umm i mean beating) another race. :ranting:

At what point do you have to forget about invading and taking over those piles of stuff? In the time it would take to get a sizable ground force to take my colonies, I will have many ships back in space and many more troops trained and armed on them. My production que will have been adjusted to make tons of product to make more bases and they would be mass produced. In the matter of a couple turns it is unreal the force that could be set up. Making any chance of ground combat very deadly if your lucky. Unless you have forced the player to quit or its a remote colony. I do not see you taking someones homeworld unless you have a few other people helping you take it. Anyone worth anything that is still in the game at that point will have a boatload sitting and defending.

At what point do you have to forget about invading and taking over those piles of stuff?  In the time it would take to get a sizable ground force to take my colonies, I will have many ships back in space and many more troops trained and armed on them.  My production que will have been adjusted to make tons of product to make more bases and they would be mass produced.  In the matter of a couple turns it is unreal the force that could be set up.  Making any chance of ground combat very deadly if your lucky.  Unless you have forced the player to quit or its a remote colony.  I do not see you taking someones homeworld unless you have a few other people helping you take it.  Anyone worth anything that is still in the game at that point will have a boatload sitting and defending.

OK I was being light-hearted inmy earlier post. StillI ask the question. what is the point? If you are n ot going to get anything out of conquering an enemy there is no point in going to war. There has to be a point to it all

If you are facing a resonably competant player over a minor colony he wil attack it one turn and take it the next one. (hauling off whatever he can get his mits on the following turn).

Exmple. Turn A-2 Order 78 send in a "Gulp" class corvette through warp to see what is defending warp point if not destroyed SS and surv--------Stage ships at warp point.

Turn A-1 Have "Gulp" Corvett attack defending shipt at warp point. if one move to colony and attack ships there. -----Finalize staging of attack fleets

Turn "A" Move warfleet #1 through warp point to clear it.-----Move war Fleet #2 to planet and clear defenses there.--------Move reming non-warships through warp point to stage. ----After battle have warfleet#2 drop Colony becon. (Note the only ships that have to be trans warp drive capable are the ships in war fleet #2). Last order of the turn move Fleet holding troops to planet(also must be transWarp cabaple)

Turn "A" +1 land troops form them up and GATK planet.----Move transport fleet to warp point (to reduce vulnrability). If he has planed well and landed with sufficient troops the planet has now fallen to me. This is not the first turn that you will be able to respond, do you have sufficient warships close enough to wipe out my attacking fleet? Hope so as this is about the only chance you have.

Turn "A"+2 Move Warfleet #1 to planet(just in case) Move all non-Warships to planet, DISM everthing you can, pick up everthing and load the onto the fleets, pick up the troops, move all fleets back to Warp point. Warp Back

Your Fleets are vulnrable At: Turn "A" By pure chance you may move a massive warfleet to the planet---Unlikely but possible.

Turn "A" +1 The entire turn but only if you have enough warships within 1 turn to attack the fleet. They all have to TransWarp capable and High AP ships. Even then yu will have to be able to hold the planet long enough to get enough troops to the planet to kick him off, or be willing to bomb your own colony into non-existance(I count that as a draw as you lose all the effort it took to build the colony).

Turn "A" +2 the enemy fleets are only vulnrable for the first 10-15 orders depending on how many DISM orders he has to perform to get everthing off the planet. or at the Warp point for the rest of the turn but there he has that second warfleet waiting . After he warps back yuou have to perform a Warp Assualt to get tohim and that adds a whole nother layer of difficulty

To take a colony and keep it requies a bit more work, but even then you force the opponant to decide to either Bomb you out of existance(and destroy his own colony) or land and attack. then you have to decide whether you are going to spend your (now dwindling) resources on defeating the enemy in space or to concentrate on landing and taking him out on the ground. (remember on the ground now you are the attacker and thus he gets all the defenders bonuses). Are you building troops right now? With a standard homeowld you can build out between 3-5 divisions per turn (depending on your Industry level and the amount of Raw you have currently available). or one small to medium warship (250,000 tons)and one maybe two divisions of troops. thenit becomes a production war and you have just lost a colony and added that planets stockines to your enemy(a doubkle hit). To tke a well defended homeworld one-on-one will be very difficult (as it should be), but If I can beat you in space all I have to worry about is one turns production at a time(raw resources are the limiting factor here) and I am willing to bet that If I have gotten that farI will be able to out produce you 1.5 or maybe 2 to one, It may be difficult but eventually I will be able to win. It all coes down to who can win in space and production

Sorry for the long post. have one on me :thumbsup: