Rolling Thunder Forums

Lost Ships and Pop Groups.

Lord Uriel

Greetings fellow beings,

If I have a ship at the other end of the galaxy without any way of getting home, what can I do?

If I have a colony beacon what are my options?

What if I run into a friendly empire who is willing to assist me in some way?

Could I upgrade my ship at a friendly with better engines or JSS? If not, why is this so?

Another thought. Suppose my ally and I are at war with one of his neighbors. I send a fleet his way and there no planets where I can reasonably put a colony. Our combined fleets engage the enemy and I have taken damage. Why can't I repair my ships at his naval yards?

Or, if the war is ongoing, after several turns my ally has developed a better spitwad of destruction. Why return to the HW for a refit?

Just my random thoughts.

Lord Uriel

I agree totally Uriel. If a lost ship manages to find an ally in the darkness of space, any upgrades that ship may receive should be based on the greater knowledge of the two Empires. (So long as they both agree)

I fail to see why friendly shipyards cannot be used to repair damaged ships or indeed enhance them with improved technology.

Are we both missing something very simple?

Please enlighten me

In order for this to work you just need to find a neutral with a few pop and then get it to join your empire. Now you have a pop group that can work on your ship.

Face it. Other than combat there is actually very little empire cooperative stuff in the game. You can't fuel, build, upgrade, repair or transfer cargo to another empire except through the OC to a pop group or the " come conquer my undefended colony" routine.

Now, since you are hell and gone from anything you know, your only real option is going to be to find a neutral and make friends. If you find a friendly player you can likely get directions to a neutral, already pacified or not, upon which you can lavish your affections.

:lol: :(:taz:

with the exeption of fueling a friendly vessel. I think the rest is just game balance. In Victory I don't recall being able to build troops in another country or being able to give them tech. I think that it is mostly fair but being able to repair a ship at someone elses shipyard might come in handy if I'm helping defend a trade route or something.

On the filp side think how much more powerful linked empires would be if we could do all that. A single player would never stand a chance.

Lord Sa Heru

Refueling allied fleets is something I'm looking into.

One thing that can be done with a fleet far from home is to simply survey systems and warp points....just for fun. Maybe you'll find something interesting, or another player you wouldn't have otherwise encountered.

fail to see why friendly shipyards cannot be used to repair damaged ships or indeed enhance them with improved technology.

Well, it's easy enough to just have your ally give you already-built items, and you can just build your own ships using his superior technology. Regarding shipyard repair, this is why forward bases with shipyards can be handy. Your shipyard workers can make those crash couches juuuust right for your tentacles and eyestalks :blink:

fail to see why friendly shipyards cannot be used to repair damaged ships or indeed enhance them with improved technology.

.......Regarding shipyard repair, this is why forward bases with shipyards can be handy. Your shipyard workers can make those crash couches juuuust right for your tentacles and eyestalks :blink:

This gives me an excellent chance to ask a question....

How can we identify those ships that need repair, take them off to the forward base and SCRP, -1 them - when we can't get at them?

Is there any chance that, like the 'Derelict' and 'Devastated' installations we sometimes find on Neutrals, that when some of our ships are damaged we get a second listing of them in the Fleet list and some way to get at them with an RN order so we can get those ships back to the repair shipyards?

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

And here's today's thought whilst shaving this morning!

At the end of a battle report ships are identified (individually) by whether they have Minor, Light, Medium or Heavy Damage (?) or are Destroyed.

Is it possible to have the Fleet report changed so that, for example:

Fleet #2001

5 Destroyer

2 Destroyer (Light Damage)

3 Destroyer (Heavy Damage)

Then as turns go on without further conflict, damage control parties work and the numbers change...

However, if we want to repair some of this ships by taking them back to a repair yard, then we need to be able to get at the damaged ships...

So, could the RN order be tweaked so that it transfers damaged ships first? With more heavily damaged ships having the priority? :blink:

This way, one could decide to let the Light Damage ones repair themselves, for example, but take away the Heavy Damage ones by - RN, 2001, 2002, 3, Destroyer.....

This would then take the 3 Heavy Damage ones away.......

If we wanted to take all the damaged ones, we could transfer 5 instead. With this modification, we could play any games we wanted with more orders, but that single change would allow the most common one - especially as we understand that lots of damaged ships is probably not the norm..... :unsure:

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

If you are any distance from you own space, then you are probably pretty much screwed Will Robinson. I guess you could park over the nearest planet and just let XEXPL's run in the hopes of getting the occasional research point. Beats scuttling.

Just rename your ship Voyager and pray!

Also, how can you upgrade your ship without a ship yard? You would need to redesign the ship, scrap the old one and build the new one. and then of course you have the old components left over....

Actually, I would like to see a way to upgrade a ship with new tech and not have to redesign the whole ship. Just replace those outdated 10 cm Autocannons with 20cm Autocannons, etc. :blink:

I was thinking maybe using your new found ally's shipyard. I accept the fact that the rules, at the moment, don't allow such events but it would be nice if they could be tweaked a bit in the future.

Anyway what are you doing wasting your time writing a post? Get my delivery sorted out. And try to make sure your guys leave the cargo alone. Bloody drunken delivery boys :blink::unsure:

And here's today's thought whilst shaving this morning!

At the end of a battle report ships are identified (individually) by whether they have Minor, Light, Medium or Heavy Damage (?) or are Destroyed.

Is it possible to have the Fleet report changed so that, for example:

Fleet #2001

5 Destroyer

2 Destroyer (Light Damage)

3 Destroyer (Heavy Damage)

Yes, but it isn't easy, requiring a rework of the way the Fleet Report works. Similar to getting cargo to mesh with the main ship listing, pesky thing.

In any event, new RN options would be needed to support transferring only this or that ship of such-and-such damage from here to there. The game's already detail-heavy....but I'll look at it :blink:

Can't just transfer damaged ships first, as you might want to transfer some damaged and some not. Suppose your War Cruiser was slightly damaged but your 54 Heavy Cruisers were badly damaged...and your Light Cruiser screen just arrived and isn't damaged at all. A variety of other ships have mixed damage or no damage. You'd need total control, which would make for an ugly RN once you have to specify damage categories. As an aside, do you know what order is one of the absolute worst, most complicated orders in Victory! The Battle for Europe? RN <shudders>.

Also, I'm reworking the battle results to give even more info, and will look at the Fleet Report as well.

well, I for one would like to NOT see the RN changed to pull damaged ships first unless you are also going to have a way to make fleet to fleet cargo transfers. By transfering out all of your camaged ships you will also take with it first crack at cargo including fighters and drones. The last thing I want is for my damaged shipping that that is heading back to the dock to take with it all/some/part/most of the remaining stores of drone, fighters and anything else that I might be transporting.

What we need is individual tracking of individual ships or else get rid of damage all together. As it is you can't see it except during combat and you can't specifically fix it unless you have a single ship in the fleet. Of course you could only build 1 ship of eah design so there would be no guessing, but that seems rather impracticle.

:blink::blink::unsure: