Rolling Thunder Forums

Deep Core Heatsinks, do they actually work?

cestvel

Athmosphere is the hardest problem, but why these similiar PMAP come to a moderate vs. high rating eludes me.

The second is worse because proportionally speaking, the atmosphere is worse. If you scaled the 9 ocean and 9 lifeform up to the 10 of the first report, you would also have to scale their 49 atmosphere up to 53. The worseness of their situation then becomes obvious.

That is the reason I aseked, because up until now I did not now, that a Vacuum can me worse than another Vacuum !?

These are all Asteroids (Atmosphere: Vaccuum), but they differ in Attrition rating.

I have though of the possibiliy that I have gotten some base colony tech like subterran building (which I have), but new CSVed Asteroids pop up with high as well.

Cestvel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell, Asteroids are Asteroids are Asteroids. They all have no atmosphere, no ocean, minimal gravity. The only differences could be in Temperature, micro-organisms, radiation, and pollution.

I notice that most of your Asteriods' PMAPs state:

"Microorganisms on this world are virtually nonexistent"

... but one of them states:

"Microorganisms on this world are relatively harmless".

Could the word "relatively" make a difference?

Also, until recently, the SNROTE software took into account Axial Tilt when calculating attrition for CSVs on Asteroids. How old are your CSVs?

Apart from the above, I can think of no reason why you should see variations in attrition -- perhaps you should ask Pete to explain?

On The original topic:

Pete told me, that the CSV shows the attrition AFTER applying caps.

So the DUCKS reduced the temperature, but not enough to go under the temperature

cap.

Maybe something similiar explains the things I see with the Asteroids.

The CSV and PMAPs are form turn 44-48 (absoulte, as this is an position which begins at Turn 1).

Compare the first (moderate) and the last(high) PMAP/CSV.

PMAP looks excatly the same, only that the high attriton on is 1K warmer (less cold for my people).

I looked at the orbits, and found, that the moderate one is only one orbit off from my HW, as the others are way off. Perhaps this explains the one mroe dot.

Cestvel

As far as I can tell, Asteroids are Asteroids are Asteroids. They all have no atmosphere, no ocean, minimal gravity. The only differences could be in Temperature, micro-organisms, radiation, and pollution.

I notice that most of your Asteriods' PMAPs state:

"Microorganisms on this world are virtually nonexistent"

... but one of them states:

"Microorganisms on this world are relatively harmless".

Could the word "relatively" make a difference?

Also, until recently, the SNROTE software took into account Axial Tilt when calculating attrition for CSVs on Asteroids. How old are your CSVs?

Apart from the above, I can think of no reason why you should see variations in attrition -- perhaps you should ask Pete to explain?

If you want to think in hierarchical terms, "virtually non-existent" would be Tier 0, while "relatively harmless" would be Tier 1 and so on. :drunk:

-SK :taz:

He was a really fun author to talk to.  Does a GREAT Marvin.

As in "I've got a pain in all the diodes down my left side"?

Or, "Brain the size of a planet, and what do they ask me to do"?

Or, "The first 10 million years were the worst. The next 10 million years were the worst, too. After that, things just went downhill"?

My particular favorite was the automatic doors, made by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation ("It is their pleasure to open and close for you with the knowledge of a job well done!"), and their sighs of ecstasy as they opened and closed. :lol:

That's the one he read to us. Frankly amazing. Of course, he wrote it, so he knew exactly where all the emphases were supposed to be, but it was still impressive to hear an author who could also perform well.

"Not an electronic sausage."

Should we maybe get this thread back onto "rules" though..? :alien2: