Rolling Thunder Forums

EXPL finds

Prospective

Hi all. This turn I got tangible results from an EXPL order. I found some Mk3 Short Range Sensors on an alien planet. Fortunately, my fleet has cargo bays to hold them and they are safely on board.

Is there any way to "reverse engineer" them in order to improve my research IN THAT PARTICUALR field? I suspect the answer is no, but I had to ask.

If no, shouldn't there be some order that will allow scientists to use the newly found discovery to aid in reasearch. Some kind of order to issue, maybe RESAT for Research Alien Technology? Empire scientists would disassemble a unit (rendering the unit inoperable, of course) for a chance at increasing research in that field (SR sensor technology in this case)? I don't think it would unbalance the game as there is a finite number of units that were found, and they would be consumed during research. AND I'm not saying an automatic breakthrough, just a roll at potential RP's being added to the category of the item being researched.

Any thoughts on this?

Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is typically done with such finds is that they are brought to a colony which has at least 1 science installation or your homeworld which should have them all and conduct and ANZ

order. The ANZ order will tell you the specifics about the item ie how much it weighs whats materials are required for construction it capabilites

and what prereq's are required to construct it. You then have a road to follow using your

new found knowledge which you use to direct your RC's and attempt to aquire the very knowledge needed to construct one of them yourself.

This ANZ does no physical harm to the item and it can be used as a component in a starship

or orbital platform. Your idea is a twist on whats already available in the game.

Once you start finding alien installations on the worlds that you are exploring, you will find occasional research breakthrough hits as well as items. :thumbsup:

I have a question: Occasionally during an EXPL I find an alien structure like a fuel refinery or cathedral where I have found one previously. Is this a second one or just a repeat of the first one?

Once you start finding alien installations on the worlds that you are exploring, you will find occasional research breakthrough hits as well as items. :thumbsup:

I have a question: Occasionally during an EXPL I find an alien structure like a fuel refinery or cathedral where I have found one previously. Is this a second one or just a repeat of the first one?

Look closely. Often they are similar but different. For example, an alien starport and an Imperial Starport. Two different items. I believe if they are identical then its the same structure.

QUOTE (ali-t-akua @ Dec 4 2004, 09:04 PM)

Once you start finding alien installations on the worlds that you are exploring, you will find occasional research breakthrough hits as well as items.

Look closely. Often they are similar but different. For example, an alien starport and an Imperial Starport. Two different items. I believe if they are identical then its the same structure.

Mahalo :thumbsup: . In every case so far they are the same description.

Our scouts will usually get 5-8 discoveries (whether they be tech hits or physical items) from each facility on a world. Most worlds also have 5-8 facilities on them, but we're not sure yet whether or not the numbers are coincidental.

EXPL can be a great way early on to get some miscellaneous equipment, but after awhile, what you get is junk compared to what you can build yourself. Its a fun thing to do, but not something that is going to make a difference. JMHO.

Expl finds are capped at tech level 3. I have to wonder if Pete will consider eventually raising that cap as the game progresses. Because we are getting to the point that within about 25 more turns, expls will be totally useless for 90% of the empires in the game...

EXPL can be a great way early on to get some miscellaneous equipment, but after awhile, what you get is junk compared to what you can build yourself.  Its a fun thing to do, but not something that is going to make a difference.  JMHO.

Expl finds are capped at tech level 3. I have to wonder if Pete will consider eventually raising that cap as the game progresses. Because we are getting to the point that within about 25 more turns, expls will be totally useless for 90% of the empires in the game...

That doesn't appear to be the case for Informational finds, but definitely for Item finds.

EXPL can be a great way early on to get some miscellaneous equipment, but after awhile, what you get is junk compared to what you can build yourself.  Its a fun thing to do, but not something that is going to make a difference.  JMHO.

That doesn't appear to be the case for Informational finds, but definitely for Item finds.

I was of course referring to item finds. I have no problem with the 1 point tech breakthroughs. It's the item finds, which comprize the majority of expl hits, that I am concerned about becoming useless.

The free warp point surveys are also useless. There's probably 200,000 warp points in the galaxy. Getting a random free one, what are your chances of ever using it? If the code worked it so that free SURVs were always at least in your quadrant of the galaxy, then maybe...

- woolfe

If you are trapped within a System with a planet, chances seem to be pretty good to get a

warp point find out of the system.

These are pretty neat.

The other four warppoint finds are still to be discoverd, though.

Cestvel

Our scouts will usually get 5-8 discoveries (whether they be tech hits or physical items) from each facility on a world. Most worlds also have 5-8 facilities on them, but we're not sure yet whether or not the numbers are coincidental.

You get this many 'hits'? :( I thought there was a diminishing return on exploration hits- I have a fleet over each of my planets on XEXPL and only get one or two hits a turn. And that's if I'm lucky. I know tech makes a difference and I'm researching improved labs and sensors, but still, that many hits- wow :unsure:

You get this many 'hits'?  I thought there was a diminishing return on exploration hits- I have a fleet over each of my planets on XEXPL and only get one or two hits a turn. And that's if I'm lucky. I know tech makes a difference and I'm researching improved labs and sensors, but still, that many hits- wow 

I got four hits last turn. How many fleets do you have on EXPL?

:(

I have 8 ap ships at all the planets and moons in my home system. The highest I have had was 4 finds, 2 tech hits and 1 warp point find. My average seems to be 3-5 hits per ship per turn.

The tech hits seem to run the gamut from items I am currently researching to things at the 6-7-8th level.

The finds run from level 2 weapons to MK III computers to Plasma torps and various types of armor and screens.

After seeing a battle report where someone was attacked and destroyed by 3cm needlers(a few thousand of them) I found 1700 of them.

I really enjoy reading my list of finds, and the anz of these items is most beneficial when trying to schedule my research.

Kahless :unsure: