Rolling Thunder Forums

Starting the Action

Aquilonia

What do you think about star distances?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:taz: BTW I would think that being that our empire's are like 8-12 systems apart from one another that when you do set up one of these Trade Outposts on a allie's HW that the allie transfer to you the resources to build (1) City, (1) Domed City, (1) Power Plant type, and (1) Transportation center as well as maybe a scattered other few useful INST to help improve your growth rate and etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brain hurting ... confusion causing neural collapse ... understanding needed ...

President Guztov - transferring POP?! From where to where? From your PopGroups to your neighbors? That seems a little odd to me. First off, if you can blend your races together I see a big exploit issue. If I have a fast growing but weak and puny race and my neighbor has a slow growing huge and strong race, I can pump my people into his PopGroup and he can turn them into formidable warriors - transforming fluffy bunnies into kodiak bears. Secondly, how do you resolve colonial attrition on worlds that aren't ideal to both? :blink:

Mechanically speaking I can see how (X)TR and OC orders can work, assuming that all PopGroup IDs are unique, which I feel is a fairly safe assumption. However, I don't see how the LC order will work between two Empires, since Fleet IDs are not unique. Is it going to my Fleet 101 or his Fleet 101?

I see Trade as being a major investment in time and resources, until things like Planetary Gates become available. Even if you go with the Trading Post on the Homeworld model, unless you only trade finished goods for raw materials, which makes no sense to me. If Empire A transfers raw materials to Empire B, who in turn uses those raw materials to build finished goods to be sent back to Empire A, where's the profit? I see people saying, "Just build Trading Posts on each others Homeworlds." Fair enough, but what if I need Raw Materials? What if my partner is awash in the Raw Materials that I need? What are the odds that both species can cohabitate the same planet with the same level of attrition?

Wouldn't a Drop Box model work better? Pick a planetary body equidistant from each Homeworld and have each Empire plant a Colony Beacon. Attrition levek is irrelevant because niether side will be inhabiting the new Pop Groups. Freighters use the OC Order to deliver goods to the receiving Empire's PopGroup, who in turn can use the LC Order to load goods onto his own Frieghters for shipment back home. Set up some Convoy Routes and you're done. :lol:

YMMV

Valid questions... but time will tell what exactly happens. Im told right from the horses mouth with documented email to prove it that Empire A could indeed transfer POP to Empire B. Given the enormous resources involved with setting up colonies far from home let alone right in your own Homesystem I think

players should be able to transfer POP and anything else required to help thier ally build a colony. But thats just me. ;)

Our intent is to furnish each other with finished goods that the other cant build. Works rather well in our case as we followed differnt tech paths. ;) We also realize that it will take quite a long time even with anothers help to establish a nice size colony but one has to start and the sooner the better. :blink:

:blink: Now on the transfer of Pop issue I remember Pete once stating that with a NPC that one shouldn't mix your pop with the NPCs to raise the pop numbers. Growth is the only way to improve them, OR find another pop center of the same NPC race and move them to combine them.

Yup,

According to the 'oracle' Pop does somehow remain separate, although if I just drop a colony beacon onto someone's HW and he just TRs in Pop, I don't see how that can prevent me raising troops (if we wanted to) with my racial characteristics!

And, from the 'oracle' when discussing trade et al, one can TR and OC to someone else's Pop Gp, but you cannot LC from it. So, the trade point colonies would either have to have Transfer Centres, or fleets to move the items from one Pop Gp to the Other before the trading convoys (from yourself) could pick up from your trading colony, or you can OC directly into you trading partner's Pop Gp.

Ahhh, the interdiction, economic warfare and piracy opportunities! :blink:

Chief Trader to Ur-Lord Tedric