Rolling Thunder Forums

Battle Report

Justinian

Here's a question related to the topic, but not directly.

Is there any indication in any battle reports that racial modifiers have an impact on the battle?

I know the ANZ'z have provided more information which should make the much anticipated Naval supplement easier to decipher, but I still wonder about species characteristics and the impact on combat.

Is is possible that racial bonuses impacted this battle in way that is not clearly indicated in a battle report?

In the same theme, are there any players who noticed racial bonuses or negatives in ground combat?

Just my random thoughts.

Congratulations to the Romans.

Lord Uriel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Justinians last statement here wholeheartedly and it must be said that in the absence of formal rules the High Command together with its allies has gone through a massive amounts of battles to arrive at a series of tactics that not only liberated the Roman Home World, System and Near Space but has set in motion this liberation campaign that will end with the Tentacles demise and the utter ruin of the Goald. Our Octagon has shared all our data with the Roman High Command as has other allies of the Romans. Analysis of this data forged into a working tactic and executed by the brave warriors of the Romans is what is ensuring victory after victory.

Locklyn

s there any indication in any battle reports that racial modifiers have an impact on the battle?

Lord Uriel,

No.

There has been no such indication. I have repeatedly asked Pete in both emails and on the boards exactly what the space combat modifier represents actually, no answer has been given. It was hoped this would be explained in the Naval Combat Primer but since that has yet to appear there are no answers which is silly really.

Nor have we been told exactly what Experience and Morale does to affect Space Combat. But then we don't know the effects of Stability on colonies either and cannot measure it anyways so...

Locklyn

Lord Uriel,

Sorry, my bad.

The Roman High and Low Orbit was briefly controlled by enemy craft, really briefly. They did though make an awesome fireworks display as the pieces of those fleets burned up in atmosphere over the Roman HW. No alien troops has to this day set foot on Roman soil, which from what our observers have seen of the mighty Roman Legions, might be as well for them evil aliens :)

Locklyn

My only comments on all this (since I am far from any type encounter yet..knock on titinium) :

1) My %^$%$@! am I going to have to do some NUD's when I get close to anything... most of my 'picket' forces are like tug to a battleship compaired to what i have seen on all the posted battle reports. Time to look at stockpiling armor, weapons etc.

2) on the last ship in the report....why in the heck does it have only 1 MKI Nuc engine and 130 nuc Jump drives???? (unless it was a typo in the NUD and he(she) got the two backwards) :)

Lord Orin

) on the last ship in the report....why in the heck does it have only 1 MKI Nuc engine and 130 nuc Jump drives???? (unless it was a typo in the NUD and he(she) got the two backwards)

Nope, it is standard tactics for an Assault ship to have multiples of jump drives to make the warp bubble as small as possible and ensure it goes through the WP easily and preferably quickly :)

Locklyn

My only comments on all this (since I am far from any type encounter yet..knock on titinium) :

1) My %^$%$@! am I going to have to do some NUD's when I get close to anything... most of my 'picket' forces are like tug to a battleship compaired to what i have seen on all the posted battle reports. Time to look at stockpiling armor, weapons etc.

Me too orin. The only thing that gives me comfort is the fact that I am about a year and a half from the elder races and so I think I have a little bit of time. Also, I hope to deal with everyone I meet peacefully. :)

Actually Ali I would not get too comfy as some of the turn 0 races have encountered some of the newer races, not the newest but those setup a year and I do believe a year and a half after. It all depends on how quickly you explore as an Elder race :)

/Locklyn

To Orin and Ali, the Romans were forced to learn quickly as alien warships came through our home system WP without so much as a "hello". Lord Locklyn paints an accurate picture...you may not have time to build ships later. Roman ships and orbitals were brushed aside by a Go'ald vessel which ultimately controlled all orbits of our HW. Fortunately, a relief force hastily assembled and destroyed the Go'ald and moved to seal the WP in the nick of time as the Tentacles, a Go'ald ally, was warping in with a load of Mass Destruction Devices.

A consortium of allies donated knowledge, armaments, materials, and diplomatic support to the cause which was critical as soon the Eyre and Pride showed their hands as willing accomplices to the "let's all slice and dice the Romans" plan. Most known enemies are known to belong to the "PA" who have not been heard to crow as much as they used to...especially Captain Jack Crow from the Eyre?? To date, the Allied Combined Chiefs of Staff work with input from several quarters, including the GGT's Octagon and the Valkor Defense Ministry. There are ongoing discussions with other allied empires.

The war is being currently fought on two main fronts for the Alliance. The Shai Combined Operations Area under the Roman's Grand Admiral Augustus has seen fleet elements from all enemy empires. This is where the latest Roman vs Tentacles/Go'ald battle was fought. The second major front is the Borebor Cluster under the command of Valkor's Grand Admiral Halsey. An Eyre fleet of 4 FF's and 2 CA's were destroyed a few turns back and mop up operations continue. Admirals Augustus and Halsey are both in possession of territory from which they were forced to retreat earlier, so things have been brighter lately for the Alliance.

This may serve as a basis for the public's general understanding of the current situation.

Roman Defense Ministry

And this is one of the Strengths that we've seen in the ANZs that appears to be horribly wrong......

I agree.. We have the ability to produce up to Bombers in the fighter craft tech tree and the ANZ's results of the Bomber and the Attack fighter are very intresting to say the least.

One would expect the Bomber to have the greater missile strength having a 'superior' rating in this category and the Attack Fighter' to have a lower strenght having a rating a good.

Add to this the fact that the Bomber has ALL of its firepower devoted to anti-ship missiles having

no PD ability and is 200 tons in size vs 100 tons in size for the Attack Fighter which also has a good PD rating.

To my amusement the Attack Fighter has the better Missile rating. This has to be some kind of error and warrants a total recheck of the subroutines governing the strenghts of the various weapon systems.

Actually Ali I would not get too comfy as some of the turn 0 races have encountered some of the newer races, not the newest but those setup a year and I do believe a year and a half after. It all depends on how quickly you explore as an Elder race smile.gif

I guess I had better be nice to eveyone as I am certain that my tech is not as advanced as the Elder races. :) Based on this battle report I stand no chance in fighting an Elder race.

And this is one of the Strengths that we've seen in the ANZs that appears to be horribly wrong...... 

I agree.. We have the ability to produce up to Bombers in the fighter craft tech tree and the ANZ's results of the Bomber and the Attack fighter are very intresting to say the least.

One would expect the Bomber to have the greater missile strength having a 'superior' rating in this category and the Attack Fighter' to have a lower strenght having a rating a good.

Add to this the fact that the Bomber has ALL of its firepower devoted to anti-ship missiles having

no PD ability and is 200 tons in size vs 100 tons in size for the Attack Fighter which also has a good PD rating.

To my amusement the Attack Fighter has the better Missile rating. This has to be some kind of error and warrants a total recheck of the subroutines governing the strenghts of the various weapon systems.

:D

We're convinced it's not that bad!

However, our best guess is that the Oracle thought the Attack Fighter was actually 500t and not 100t when putting in the numbers - then it all makes sense. Probably entered at the same time as the Patrol Craft, which is 500t :oops:

All that needs to happen is that the database entry for the Attack Fighter needs to be reviewed and some figures divided by 5!

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

NB - of course we have the rather silly current situation where the Attack Fighter is 'better' than any of the Gunboats.....but we hope for speedy resolution.

PS With so much in the database there are bound to be the odd errors that we will find. Please can we all just let RTG know when we find such... :)