Rolling Thunder Forums

question about sensors

rotor911

I'd still be pleased to hear more from Pete about the whole subject of sensors, as well as any idea when cloaking tech will be modified to achieve it's intended level of "cloakiness".

And then there will be those techs out there that will nulify to some extent

the cloakiness effect. :huh:

Granted as you progress in the Cloaking device field it will be much harder to

detect the ship for example.. A ship equipped with say a Type C Cloaking device

is trying to sneak by a picket ship equipped with Mk I Mass Dectector Sensors

and some Mk I Gravitic Sensor Webs. I would bet that the cloaked ship

will have a better chance of sneaking by since the Type C Cloak trumps the

gen level of the Mk I sensors. Now if the picket ship was packing

Mk III sensors of those types then the Cloak equipped ship may not sneak by

or at least has a better chance of getting seen. The really fun part is trying to

figure out what your neighbor is up to as far as tech so you can counter it somewhat. You wont totally counter it as has been said by RTG but you will

have an advantage assuming all other things equal. :)

And whats even more fun is working with a neighbor who followed a totally

different tech path and is open to trade items with you. Now theres where its at!

The best of both worlds ....literally speaking. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're at it :)

I've read somewhere  that sensors gave an exploration bonus. Is there any truth to it or is it again "small talk" in the rules?

The Oracle once gave us a list of items that provide positive modifiers to an EXPL order:

Type x Universal Translator Device

Type x Science Lab

Mk n Short Range Sensor

Mk n Medium Range Sensor

Mk n Long Range Sensor

SLY-n Intelligence Sensor Package

Science Drone

Survey Lander.

What we don't know is the size of the modifiers for any of these items.

I've read somewhere  that sensors gave an exploration bonus. Is there any truth to it or is it again "small talk" in the rules?

The Oracle once gave us a list of items that provide positive modifiers to an EXPL order:

Type x Science Lab

Mk n Short Range Sensor

Mk n Medium Range Sensor

Mk n Long Range Sensor

Science Drone

Survey Lander.

I can at least say that my EXPL hits are much more and of better quality since I found some Science Drones. So they seem to have a major impact on exploration, much more than Mk II Short Range Sensors at least.

Type x Science Lab

Mk n Short Range Sensor

Mk n Medium Range Sensor

Mk n Long Range Sensor

Science Drone

Survey Lander.

That's a good tip...have to actually use it someday!

Type x Science Lab

Mk n Short Range Sensor

Mk n Medium Range Sensor

Mk n Long Range Sensor

Science Drone

Survey Lander.

I can at least say that my EXPL hits are much more and of better quality since I found some Science Drones. So they seem to have a major impact on exploration, much more than Mk II Short Range Sensors at least.

How do the Science Drones work?

Do you actually need to launch them each turn, or just have them on a ship and let them do XEXPL?

Type x Science Lab

Mk n Short Range Sensor

Mk n Medium Range Sensor

Mk n Long Range Sensor

Science Drone

Survey Lander.

How do the Science Drones work?

Do you actually need to launch them each turn, or just have them on a ship and let them do XEXPL?

I believe you just have them mounted in a drone rack and they will improve your chances.

hat the long range sensors ANZ does not contain the " Sensor Strength: xxxxxx/Counters: Minefields" lines as the others sensors.

Just had an official answer in my inbox: LR sensors do have a defensive value like the other sensors

ANZ code corrected this morning to show the exact values of Long Range Sensors.

• 1 month later...

Well I hope Im not "hijacking" this thread too much, but since its about sensors -

When doing a System Scan, it says that you it reports all OBVIOUS warp points. Does this mean that with better sensors, explorer types, etc., that other NOT OBVIOUS warp points might be discovered? I have found at least one system with only one warp point (a B type) in and out...is that normal or is it likely to have other higher level ones that I just didnt detect with a low level scanning Pathfinder? I know it takes higher level sensors and explorers to MAP the warp points. Does it also take higher levels to FIND some of them?

You have found all there is to find.  Nothing sneaky about WP's so having better sensors doesn't do a great deal.

I don't know about others, but I have found quite a few dead end WP's.  Nothing unusual about it.

:alien2:

I have had the opposite experience, I have only found two dead ends so far. However, I have found several one way WPs.

As for sensors, it is not clear what better sensors buy you. There are some rumors that they help in combat and once you get Long Range Sensors a number of valuable sensor types open up but other than that it is not clear what higher tech sensors do.