Rolling Thunder Forums

question about sensors

rotor911

Well I hope Im not "hijacking" this thread too much, but since its about sensors -

When doing a System Scan, it says that you it reports all OBVIOUS warp points. Does this mean that with better sensors, explorer types, etc., that other NOT OBVIOUS warp points might be discovered? I have found at least one system with only one warp point (a B type) in and out...is that normal or is it likely to have other higher level ones that I just didnt detect with a low level scanning Pathfinder? I know it takes higher level sensors and explorers to MAP the warp points. Does it also take higher levels to FIND some of them?

Well, where to begin. Hobknob is right- you'll see WP that are there. Ali is also right.

It's best to think of WP as always being one way. Most of the time, the WP that you travel from Home World to Neighbour A will end in a WP that goes from Neighbour A to Home World. The class (i.e. A-I[?]) and size (i.e. ship capacity) will be different (and there are many theories as to why: proximity to star, distance traveled, etc) which supports this idea.

However, some will just end, i.e. be 'one-way'. Here, doing a SS in the new system (Neighbour A) will show two new WP. One goes to Neighbour B and the other to Neighbour C. The WP you just came through won't show on your SS, and as of yet, I'm not aware of any tech that allows you to see these 'closed WP' or 'one-way WP'.

Others, may be 'two way', but to different systems. Here, doing a SS in the new system (Neighbour B ) will show two WP. One goes to Neighbour D and the one you just came down goes to your Home World (that was lucky!), which wasn't the system you came from (Neighbour B ).

It has also been reported by some travellers (who obviously spend too much time in StarBars :alien2: ) that sometimes travelling down a well known WP sometimes puts a fleet into a strange and unknown system. This I think is a really rare occurance (only one report in 4 years[?]), but has happened.

Welcome to the world of WP. Most folks are normally fine, but my bit of space is heavily populated with D's and E's, one-way's, Nexii(?), etc. Fun region of space.

And OT a couple of turns ago I found a system that I can only colonise the asteroid belt in- why can't I colonise the planets? Two planets with Ionized Metal Atmospheres in the one system! I love my region of space, so much to see and do!

Anyhow, hope this helps,

Hughestrog.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope Im not "hijacking" this thread too much, but since its about sensors -

When doing a System Scan, it says that you it reports all OBVIOUS warp points. Does this mean that with better sensors, explorer types, etc., that other NOT OBVIOUS warp points might be discovered? I have found at least one system with only one warp point (a B type) in and out...is that normal or is it likely to have other higher level ones that I just didnt detect with a low level scanning Pathfinder? I know it takes higher level sensors and explorers to MAP the warp points. Does it also take higher levels to FIND some of them?

It was inferred many moons ago by Pete, that higher level Warp Survey Sensors might reveal 'other' things. However, no one that I know with higher level Sensors than I possess (which would be anything better than Mk IIIs) has reported anything special. So it may be one of those - not quite in the game - components, that lurk on the fringes of SN:ROTE. :)

-SK :alien2:

Out of curiousity, if you come through a "one way" WP, which has no corresponding WP on the other side....what location are your vessels then sitting at? As I understand it, ships can only be located (end a movement) at Planets (including Asteroid belts), Moons, and WPs. Can a ship end up "floating" in dead space?

Out of curiousity, if you come through a "one way" WP, which has no corresponding WP on the other side....what location are your vessels then sitting at? As I understand it, ships can only be located (end a movement) at Planets (including Asteroid belts), Moons, and WPs. Can a ship end up "floating" in dead space?

As stated earlier, every Warp path is in effect "one way" However for systems where this is no immediate return path from the WP you ended your warp at, you should end up at a WP that has a path leading else where. I have not heard of anyone whose ship ended up in a system with no exits. That would be a pretty useless system. :alien2:

As stated earlier, every Warp path is in effect "one way" However for systems where this is no immediate return path from the WP you ended your warp at, you should end up at a WP that has a path leading else where. I have not heard of anyone whose ship ended up in a system with no exits. That would be a pretty useless system. :alien2:

Well, yes, that would be useless indeed. But its not what I meant. I meant if they came through a "one way" WP into a system, and there was no other WP at that same location. There could certainly be another WP in the system, just not at the same location that they exited Warp. Or is this not possible? Do ALL WPs exit at ANOTHER WP location (even if it goes somewhere else)?

Well, yes, that would be useless indeed. But its not what I meant. I meant if they came through a "one way" WP into a system, and there was no other WP at that same location. There could certainly be another WP in the system, just not at the same location that they exited Warp. Or is this not possible? Do ALL WPs exit at ANOTHER WP location (even if it goes somewhere else)?

YES. ALL WPs exit at ANOTHER WP location (even if it goes somewhere else)

As stated earlier, every Warp path is in effect "one way" However for systems where this is no immediate return path from the WP you ended your warp at, you should end up at a WP that has a path leading else where. I have not heard of anyone whose ship ended up in a system with no exits. That would be a pretty useless system. :D

When warping the ship has to exist in a discrete state at a WP. It does not exist in between nor can it warp between a WP and something else. It is just not possible in the physics of SN:ROTE for the ship to warp elsewhere at least as far as our scientists can determine. (In fact, they are still a little mystified as to how ships are able to warp at all. Maybe there is something after all to that mumbo jumbo our priests keep telling us.) :alien2:

PS There are some indications from our scientists that small scale matter transporters may be possible. These would appear to share the same physics as warping does. Perhaps further investigation will allow us to learn more. :)

YES. ALL WPs exit at ANOTHER WP location (even if it goes somewhere else)

To expand upon Laserwolf's statement ...

Warp Point 11111 in the Alpha System connects to the Beta System.

Warp Point 22222 in the Gamma System connects to the Beta System.

When a Fleet uses either Warp Point 11111 or Warp Point 22222, that Fleet ends up at Warp Point 33333 in the Beta System.

However, Warp Point 33333 in the Beta System only connects to the Alpha System (depositing you at Warp Point 11111).

Most people call the WP 11111 and WP 33333 pair "two-way" warp points, since they interconnect the systems Alpha and Beta. The WP 22222 in the Gamma System would commonly be called a "one-way" warp point, since it doesn't exit at a warp point that gets you back to the Gamma system.

I hope that helps.

-SK :alien2:

who obviously spend too much time in StarBars  )

Sorry, this statment makes absolutely no sense! How could anybody spend too much time in a StarBars? :woohoo:

Well, if one imbibes in excess and has a black-out (or racial equivalent), one may consider that as spending too much time in a StarBar. Since one losses time (as in unaware of one's surroundings and unable to fantasize about one's next great exploration hit), it could be considered too much time allocated to the StarBar. However, since the problem is in one's uncontrolled behavior (as in drinking to excess) and NOT really the location of the behavior, an argument could be made that the StarBar is not the problem and therefore the too much time issue is as you refer.

Pass me another, and make it the Vendi version, plz.... :cheers:

Octus

who obviously spend too much time in StarBars  )

Sorry, this statment makes absolutely no sense! How could anybody spend too much time in a StarBars? :woohoo:

Depends whether the StarBar is too near a superdense body. You go in for one drink, and three years go by. Now that's alot of missed turns!

Doesn't StarBar have a drink called "The Black Hole". You have one and you forget who you are. :D