Rolling Thunder Forums

Overcoming Screens...

Flagritz

Then I look to the Mk I Long range sensor description: The Mk I Long Range Sensor is a self-contained, multi-purpose unit is capable of handling all routine navigational duties as well as serving as the primary target acquisition and fire control sensor system during combat. This system is designed primarily for use at longer ranges and is not as effective at shorter distances.

The whole serving as the primary target acquisition and fire control sensor part stands out. Once more the description, if it has any accuracy, points to the sensors use in aquiring targets to fire on. Since the sensor has no fire control to allow for multiple targets, what else could this mean (given Pete's thinking it could mean anything .. still.... I have to wonder).

Your damage pool is divided into globs.

Each glob will target 1 enemy ship. First, two ships are randomly selected. Then, the more "interesting" ships is chosen as the actual target for the glob.

We could make a wild guess - that sensors affect the "interesting" part. With zero sensors all ships look alike, so only the deployment location would make the closer ship more "interesting". But with more advanced sensors, you might be able to tell that the ship at DL10 is actually more "interesting" than the one at DL1.

I don't remember ever seeing anything that would suggest there is any way to affect the totally random selection of the two possible targets. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if the enemy fleet consists of 1000 screens and 1 capitol ship. Then almost every glob will have to choose between 2 screen ships. So it really doesn't matter.

Ok here's another thought - trying to think outside the box.

If you have a fleet equiped with tractor beams, sonic stun, troop berthings and troop shuttles. The tractor beams and stun weapons use the Fire Control / glob system for doing their damage to the enemy fleet.

Do the troops then target the same enemy ships for a boarding attempt? Or is there a totally separate combat system for boarding and capture?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting about the pirating and all, but back to the topic at hand.

Pete,

Will you give us an idea on how Short Range, Medium Range and Long Range sensors factor into space combat (aside from their use as a defensive system to mines)? Do they have any effect on ship targetting during naval combat? I'm asking for details similar to what was included in the Naval Combat Primer update regarding bridge systems and fire control. It appears that you've already discussed this back in the 'old boards' but it would be interesting to get a re-explaination for all of us 'newbies' who never saw the old board.

At a minimum, please tell us if you don't plan to talk about it so that we know you've addressed this topic.

Thanks.

Yes MMB – you have a fearsome reputation. 500 colonists will dive into the sun rather than be captured by you! I had one occasion where the crew scuttled their ship before I could capture it.

So this is my point.

I think the scuttled ship was taken out of combat without reducing its structural integrity to zero. Although I don’t really know because the battle reports in those days didn’t show such information. This could be another way to deal with screens – by boarding them with troops rather than destroying them with globs of damage.

So these are my questions.

Is the number of boarding attempts limited by your fire control rating? Or is it limited by some other factor, such as the number of Troop Shuttles?

Do the boarding attempts take place at the same time that each glob damages a ship? Sort of like a “16th” category of damage. Or do they occur at some other time during the combat round? Or do they only occur occasionally, after several combat rounds go by?

Can a boarding attempt take a ship out of the combat even though it still has structural integrity points and even though you didn’t “capture” it? I.E. A scuttled ship is still a destroyed ship.

The impression I am getting is Pete has said all he feels need to be said. There IS another way to negate the screen ship tactic and some people have figured it out. Presumably those people will then use it and the tactic will leak out when a screened fleet is destroyed by a battleship heavily equipped with Universal Translators or Sensors or Cargo Barges or whatever.

As some players are close or have the answer in hand, and others are far away or are pursuing other avenues of advancement, it would be unwise of me to reveal any real details on this topic. Unwise because it would be unfair to those who have figured things out (or are in the process of doing so). Nothing happens fast in SNROTE, to be sure.....to pull the rug out from under those who have managed to advancement along one line or another would undoubtedly be a decidedly unpopular decision in some circles.

The only way I'd make a major change in the combat system would be because the number of screens being built becomes so large that the database is brought to its knees trying to handle them. I would much prefer that players find their own answers to them than me stepping in with a heavy hand (something I very much prefer to avoid). Database integrity and efficiency is the ultimate arbiter in these matters.

I will say this, however: it's like Transwarp Drives were, back in the day. Right in front of you, but hard to see.

Ok. So it's sounding like a complex tech or how the tech is used. Additionally, if some of the more advanced (technologically) players have developed the tech (or method of using tech differently) then this is something all players have the chance of developing or at least encountering in some form or other.

I hope it doesn't take me another five years to figure it out.

Lord Uriel

If it is a complex tech, it implies the screen is still a viable defense against those who don't have it.

Translation: Slow turns until it's tech tree becomes common knowledge.

Ha! I can only imagine all the strange and twisted paths that Santa's SRPs will be used for this turn.

Pete,

Thanks for taking the time to reply Pete, it's good to know that you guys are on top of things and involved in the game. It warms me heart!!!

I understand and respect that you do not want to give away any details towards defeating screen technology. Makes total sense and I will not dispute that. For me, this thread is closed (unless others want to continue to talk pirating).