Rolling Thunder Forums

This may be a dumb newbie question...

biomekanic

I have my shipyards producing ships, but I haven't placed an order for them. It appears to be standing order, but it's not on my list of standing orders. How do I clear out that production cue?

The SCRP order is used to clear your shipyard queue

SCRP # Ship_Class 0 Pop_Group

Having said that, you get a bunch of pathfinders in the queue for free at the start of the game. They are useful and its probably best to build them all. You might like to build some more Shipyard Slips to build them faster.

Oh, okay.

Not to give away my Cunning Plan but I was going to explore the home system with the supplied fleet then upgrade before venturing out into the Big Beyond.

Use a only ship or two to look at your home system.

Immediately head off into the Big Beyond - exploration is very slow, and you'll probably have to go 10-20 systems before finding a neighbor (i.e., sometime around the 2008/2009 Holiday Season). Things may be different where you start, but I doubt it.

You will soon find that you don't have enough ships to cover all the warp points. And Mk I Jump Survey Sensors are pretty useless (but you can automatically SURVey out-of and into your home system).

If you want to get rid of the queue faster, build more Shipyard Slips.

IMHO, of course.

Survey Sensors really get useful at Mk IV and even then some WPs need many of them. Also, the conventional wisdom is to NOT put your (meager number of) scientists on scouting ships. They appear to be more productive on planets other than your HW. Yes, that may mean colonies..... Of course, maybe not.

Oh, some people slot 1 for those survey gizmos, since getting out there is always a nice way to consume orders. And they don't cause battles directly! No slowing of turn processing.....

Octus

Survey Sensors really get useful at Mk IV and even then some WPs need many of them. Also, the conventional wisdom is to NOT put your (meager number of) scientists on scouting ships. They appear to be more productive on planets other than your HW. Yes, that may mean colonies..... Of course, maybe not.

Oh, some people slot 1 for those survey gizmos, since getting out there is always a nice way to consume orders. And they don't cause battles directly! No slowing of turn processing.....

Octus

A Mk IV JSS and an Explorer character can crack more than 99% of the WPs you encounter.

Oh and the only dumb question is the one you ask multiple times with the same answer each time.

• 3 weeks later...
I have my shipyards producing ships, but I haven't placed an order for them. It appears to be standing order, but it's not on my list of standing orders. How do I clear out that production cue?

Hope you don't mind, I needed some extra shipyard capacity so I borrowed yours. :beer:

• 2 months later...

Here is a newbie mistake made by a core veteran player. This last turn set I set my fast cargo ships to seeding a pop group with materials to setup a new colony. I even included Rads for the Antimatter power plants I was planning on building there. What I forgot was that I sent ALL my Rad on this cargo fleet and didn't leave any behind to fuel the antimatter power plants on the HW. So, my mines didn't produce. Most of my production Q ran so no real issues there. What bothered me most, aside from the stupidity, was that my small horde of Deep Core Surveyors didn't run. I finally got 2 resources into the 4 digit mark. *sigh* At least I have Rads on another colony close by that I can run to the HW to get the lights turned back on.

Sakarissa :thumbsup:

The Circle

In another vetern making a mistake (but in a lighter tone than poor Sakarissa) - I had moved a small fleet of ships on a prior turn to a system in one group for ease of movement and loading of fuel. But I now needed to break it up so the ships could go each their own way exploring and examining planets. So I issued the NEWF orders (4 new fleets), did the RN orders (4 more), and then issued orders to each fleet .. lots of orders (since each had an AP of around 30). To my surprise, the RN orders failed, and the orders of each new fleet also failed. Around 120 total orders .. listed on page after page .. as failing. Closer examination of the RN orders located my error. I have a ship class named Thoth, and the newer more advanced ships with more AP are named Thoth II. And of course, in speeding through the RN orders, I would hit TH, Thoth would appear in the ship design box, and I hit enter to save the order. Yep, ordered the wrong ship in every RN as the names were so similar.

Sigh.

In another vetern making a mistake (but in a lighter tone than poor Sakarissa) - I had moved a small fleet of ships on a prior turn to a system in one group for ease of movement and loading of fuel. But I now needed to break it up so the ships could go each their own way exploring and examining planets. So I issued the NEWF orders (4 new fleets), did the RN orders (4 more), and then issued orders to each fleet .. lots of orders (since each had an AP of around 30). To my surprise, the RN orders failed, and the orders of each new fleet also failed. Around 120 total orders .. listed on page after page .. as failing. Closer examination of the RN orders located my error. I have a ship class named Thoth, and the newer more advanced ships with more AP are named Thoth II. And of course, in speeding through the RN orders, I would hit TH, Thoth would appear in the ship design box, and I hit enter to save the order. Yep, ordered the wrong ship in every RN as the names were so similar.

Sigh.

Was that a revenge of the Harper in the Wind?