Rolling Thunder Forums

Buying Technology

Mahdi

I'm readin an advice document from Lord Slith. He's talking about saving tech points and buying advanced technology. I didn't use all my tech points during the set up can I still use them to get some advanced technology, and if so how do I do it?

Mahci,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you simply put the tech you want to "buy " in the first research slot.....the system will automatically buy that tech until your points run out.......or at least , that is how it was explained to me...

If you have unused points, they will automatically be used when you do an SRP to complete the research in the first available slot. This is often referred to as 'slot 1' research on the boards. Be aware, that you can only accelerate research through the first four levels (did I get that right?) of research, such as JSS IV and armor through the fourth research level. This does NOT mean Mk IV Super Slingshot that required Mk II Pea Shooter to get to Mk I Super Slingshot. My understanding is you could 'slot 1' Mk I Pea Shooter, Mk II PS, Mk I Super Slingshot, Mk II SS, but not Mk III SS.

My understanding is that if slot 1 has a too advanced tech in it, then slot 2 will be selected, etc. This has not happened to me, so others would have to confirm.

Octus

(Just wait until you get Mk III Spit Balls! Makes the combat reports soggy.....)

One other point. Once your points start to spend they will continue to spend whenever possible until you run out of points. Best to make sure that the tech in slot 1 is really something that you want points spent on.

At the anniversary, August/September time frame, Pete has given every body a few points to spend so everybody has some experience spending points.

Choose wisely

:alien::cheers::drunk:

One other point. Once your points start to spend they will continue to spend whenever possible until you run out of points. Best to make sure that the tech in slot 1 is really something that you want points spent on.

At the anniversary, August/September time frame, Pete has given every body a few points to spend so everybody has some experience spending points.

Choose wisely

:alien::cheers::drunk:

Also, once you start using points in slot 1 if you put a technology in slot 1 that points cannot be spent on, i e a tech with a level higher than 4, the points will be spent on the next slot containing an eligible technology so make sure you put the techs you want to buy into slot 1 or you may find you just spent some on slot 23 when you did not want to use points on that item.

One of the strange things in the way tech works is that I have researched components that I cannot even build yet.....I have done 5 turns I believe....I have finished research on mkII fusion engines , but I cannot yet build them because I can't build the improved mats yet....and I have been researching the improved mats on my regular research slots since the first turn.......

One of the strange things in the way tech works is that I have researched components that I cannot even build yet.....I have done 5 turns I believe....I have finished research on mkII fusion engines , but I cannot yet build them because I can't build the improved mats yet....and I have been researching the improved mats on my regular research slots since the first turn.......

These improved techs should take you 12 turns on 1 RC.

As things are , since the game is a slow one , any advances will take lots of turns to eventually get to the front lines of the empire......and , if I wanted , I could almost colonize all planets in my home system...and I have plenty in just that one system......so I am taking efficient over fast.......we will see who gets out better :laugh: