Rolling Thunder Forums

Buying Technology

Mahdi

Just out of idle curiosity, how does the average guy in the class of '03 do it, I wonder? I've heard quotes of up to 4 RCs per project mentioned as being acceptable. People with generation 5 zillion tech should have a working idea of the best approach, I'd have thought.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of idle curiosity, how does the average guy in the class of '03 do it, I wonder? I've heard quotes of up to 4 RCs per project mentioned as being acceptable. People with generation 5 zillion tech should have a working idea of the best approach, I'd have thought.

Simply assign all the RCs you want to work on a project when doing a SRP order. If you really wanted to and feel the need, you could put all 25 on them. However, if you're still early in the game (and that could be two years) this might be overkill and waste of RCs. Somewhere on the boards there is a post from Pete talking about RCs and the best way to use them. I would just search all of Pete's old posts.

Good luck.

Lord Uriel

Not part of the founder's group, but I think less than a year short of it for one race.

We have never put more than 2 RCs on any single project. Just don't like the idea of inefficiencies in already limited research capability. We have suffered with lower engine tech, slower armor advancement, behind on shields, not as ugly with weapons, or other such perceived inadequacies compared to brethern on the board. That is, if you care to assume someone has really researched 7th Gen Species Engineering and is conquering the galaxy. Oh, has done big time ground combat research as well. :D

As a result, our research base is rather broad. We just have to impatiently wait 2 earth years for some things to come on line. Such is life, sort of.

Question for others. Do you look at your research reports first when you open your results like I do? I guess the war mongers look at the pages and pages of combat results first, but what about the rest of us? :laugh:

Octus

Not part of the founder's group, but I think less than a year short of it for one race.

We have never put more than 2 RCs on any single project. Just don't like the idea of inefficiencies in already limited research capability. We have suffered with lower engine tech, slower armor advancement, behind on shields, not as ugly with weapons, or other such perceived inadequacies compared to brethern on the board. That is, if you care to assume someone has really researched 7th Gen Species Engineering and is conquering the galaxy. Oh, has done big time ground combat research as well. :D

As a result, our research base is rather broad. We just have to impatiently wait 2 earth years for some things to come on line. Such is life, sort of.

Question for others. Do you look at your research reports first when you open your results like I do? I guess the war mongers look at the pages and pages of combat results first, but what about the rest of us? :laugh:

Octus

First: check and see the SRP order was entered correctly (paranoid)

Second: Check and see how many scientist/exploration hits.

Third: Go to Research page and check progress.

Lord Uriel

Currently, I have a 14 RC Zone dedicated to a single tech. The rest of my RCs are set on single techs. The reason for the 14 slot zone is that with all my Sci hits, I can pop a 6G tech in 1 - 2 turns. I think it's been worth it for all the inefficiencies that I'm supposed to have by doing that. *shrug*

Sakarissa :laugh:

The Circle

Currently, I have a 14 RC Zone dedicated to a single tech. The rest of my RCs are set on single techs. The reason for the 14 slot zone is that with all my Sci hits, I can pop a 6G tech in 1 - 2 turns. I think it's been worth it for all the inefficiencies that I'm supposed to have by doing that. *shrug*

Sakarissa :laugh:

The Circle

14? That is an impressive number. It would lead to significant advances in a limited number of areas. Nice to have, but there would be holes. I guess you could argue that the advances in certain areas (weapons and engines, for instance) would far exceed the limited scope of advances for the empire. There is more than one way to skin the feline, which makes the enterprise more interesting.

Octus

(Expecting nasty replies from the feline races on the board. Alas, we have not been able to research Mk IX Cat Dander Neutralizer because of other research priorities.)

I tend to use 4,9 or 16 RCs depending upon the importance of the tech. I usually get away with having 4 RCs since I tend to generate a lot of scientist hits thanks to a dedicated effort from the beginning of the game of creating scientist colonies in every system I come across as long as I have surplus scientists and being a technocracy means that I have A LOT of scientists and they work better alone, in a massive scientist complex on some abandoned moon in a distant system. I average around 12-15 hits per turn (yes I check my scientist hits and breakthroughs first) but get real lucky some times like last turn with 22 hits well divided and bringing a lot of techs to fruition. I've also since day one had EXPL fleets going with better and better equipment which has led to better and better hits for techs as well which seems to have paid off in the long run. If you want scientific success I recommend you paying attention to those two paths that can help you along in the long run.

Cheers

/ Locklyn

Founder Race here. I have never had more than 1 RC on anything. I was behind in some areas, such as armor, shields and weapons for a time, but have since caught up, but am still behind in weaponry (which I trade for)

I am more advanced in other areas but am well rounded with a good industrial base.

I always have 1 RC on every available horizon tech. I have not had to fight a real war, so instead of building masses of weapons that will soon be obsolete, I stockpile the advanced materials for the future and just build surface and orbitals. (along with freighters, explorers etc.)

:laugh:

If you are in a peaceful neighbourhood I would do as Kurassier has done, except for a few choice techs that you want pretty quick like DCS, Industrial Science tree all up to 6th Gen and getting a good Jump Survey Sensor tech as soon as possible off the bat will ease things for you later. But once you get in a war, or two or three you suddenly need to quickly research new weapon trees once your opponent has devised defenses for them and you have to create defenses towards his every now and then when he changes and so on...that's why I like force shields, enough force shields, Tckon and Repair Bays together and you can hold off on building defences untill you're at high enough level to make your opponent hurt. I would have loved to do as Kurassier has done also but then I am not in a peaceful neighbourhood of space...but Looker is a good neigbour!

:laugh:

/Locklyn

I would like to add...I think everyone should start building screens when they start the game, even if you are in a friendly and peaceful neighbourhod do it now rather than be surprised by the sudden need to build 16000 screens down the road.

:D

/Locklyn

I tend to use 4,9 or 16 RCs depending upon the importance of the tech. I usually get away with having 4 RCs since I tend to generate a lot of scientist hits thanks to a dedicated effort from the beginning of the game of creating scientist colonies in every system I come across as long as I have surplus scientists and being a technocracy means that I have A LOT of scientists and they work better alone, in a massive scientist complex on some abandoned moon in a distant system. I average around 12-15 hits per turn (yes I check my scientist hits and breakthroughs first) but get real lucky some times like last turn with 22 hits well divided and bringing a lot of techs to fruition. I've also since day one had EXPL fleets going with better and better equipment which has led to better and better hits for techs as well which seems to have paid off in the long run. If you want scientific success I recommend you paying attention to those two paths that can help you along in the long run.

Cheers

/ Locklyn

Sound advice. I am a little tardy with the next explorer upgrade, which you are motivating me to accomplish.

As you set up the 'massive scientist complex', are you putting one scientist per pop group? And maximizing the science support structures (Imperial Science Outpost, etc) for each of those pop groups? Or am I misinterpreting?

Thanks for the post.

Founder Race here. I have never had more than 1 RC on anything. I was behind in some areas, such as armor, shields and weapons for a time, but have since caught up, but am still behind in weaponry (which I trade for)

I am more advanced in other areas but am well rounded with a good industrial base.

I always have 1 RC on every available horizon tech. I have not had to fight a real war, so instead of building masses of weapons that will soon be obsolete, I stockpile the advanced materials for the future and just build surface and orbitals. (along with freighters, explorers etc.)

:D

I tend to keep just a third of my RCs on Horizon tech. And have only doubled up RCs on engine tech a couple times. Like you, one empire is in a quiet area and I have not built the scads of weapons platforms that others have either had to or choose to.

You must have an impressive pile of advanced materials hanging around by now...... :beer:

Octus

:ph34r:

I tend to keep just a third of my RCs on Horizon tech. And have only doubled up RCs on engine tech a couple times. Like you, one empire is in a quiet area and I have not built the scads of weapons platforms that others have either had to or choose to.

You must have an impressive pile of advanced materials hanging around by now...... :ph34r:

Octus

:ph34r: I do use some from time to time. Have to trade something to get the better weaponry. Only thing I don't really build are the massive warships, saving for the need. I do have smaller, high tech 'warships' of the CL,DD classes roaming around, just in case. I've also built quite a few high tech orbitals to stick at warpoints, planets, etc. Of course if you are friendly, you have nothing to fear, just stop at the local StarBar and chat. :ph34r:

Of course, I am prepared, to respond quite quickly if/when necessary. :beer::D

Sound advice. I am a little tardy with the next explorer upgrade, which you are motivating me to accomplish.

As you set up the 'massive scientist complex', are you putting one scientist per pop group? And maximizing the science support structures (Imperial Science Outpost, etc) for each of those pop groups? Or am I misinterpreting?

Thanks for the post.

What I basically have done since day one is find the planet that is the oddest one ie as far away from my HW ideals in a system and then place a scientist on it, then I build on a sustainable world (ie a world my gremoids could live on, and this was hard before species engineering) building one popgroup with every science installation in it and. This is also useful to have in every system cause you can then put naval installations in it to help the sentry pickets in combat and LFE. You can use that as a centre for gathering EXPL items and transport back to HW and you can have it as a fuel depot and so on. Being a bit paranoid I do COLB on all worlds in all systems within a 8-10 system radius of my HW system to slow people down, to have ready made OC Centers for EXPL fleets or SKIM Depots and so on.

Also remember that there is such a thing as too many survey shuttles in your EXPL fleets, you can hurt your EXPL chances going overboard...and never ever underestimate the use of good LCs in EXPL fleets.

Yes it takes alot of orders to set up the science colonies but I've found that it has paid off really well for me.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Thanks for the post.

What I basically have done since day one is find the planet that is the oddest one ie as far away from my HW ideals in a system and then place a scientist on it, then I build on a sustainable world (ie a world my gremoids could live on, and this was hard before species engineering) building one popgroup with every science installation in it and. This is also useful to have in every system cause you can then put naval installations in it to help the sentry pickets in combat and LFE. You can use that as a centre for gathering EXPL items and transport back to HW and you can have it as a fuel depot and so on. Being a bit paranoid I do COLB on all worlds in all systems within a 8-10 system radius of my HW system to slow people down, to have ready made OC Centers for EXPL fleets or SKIM Depots and so on.

Also remember that there is such a thing as too many survey shuttles in your EXPL fleets, you can hurt your EXPL chances going overboard...and never ever underestimate the use of good LCs in EXPL fleets.

Yes it takes alot of orders to set up the science colonies but I've found that it has paid off really well for me.

Cheers

/Locklyn

There's a wealth of helpful information there for those of us who had not gone into such detail in their thinking. Its appreciated (by me, at least).

As far as my 14 slot zone goes, I put it into the middle of my RC list. Here's my reasoning:

1) Each Scientist has a percent chance to have a breakthrough (based on LC level and science installations with some black box formula. My theory is that every level of the LC is equal to 1% and each installation add another 1% to the chance.)

2) Then for each breakthrough the game randomizes 1 thru 25 and whatever that number is equals the RC that gets the hit. Assuming random distribution I figured that the hits would more often than not land in the middle 14 slots. For the most part that has been the case.

It lets me concentrate most of the hits on the tech I want it on. It allows me to get higher end techs a lot faster. It's been working for me.

Sakarissa :beer:

The Circle

Thanks for the post.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Thanks for the expanded explanation. I don't do nearly as many COLBs as you do, but I am still paranoid...

Having a dumb attack. What does LCs stand for in the never ever underestimate line? Must be getting late...

Octus