Rolling Thunder Forums

Alien Fleet Sightings

El Capitan

Just about the only sighting I had was one that should have triggered a battle and failed to do so.

I also have 100's of sightings each turn. Most of them are from left over defense forces around HW's that I have captured and during trade routes to neighbors. Most all of those went missing.

fyi...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sighting of enemy units during convoy routes is definitely something that can happen, and can trigger battles just like in regular fleet movements. If for whatever reason some possible sightings didn't occur as expected this cycle, they didn't happen and without a sighting there definitely won't be a combat. I'll look into it for next time and will put some stop statements in the code for locations I know are hotspots to keep a close eye on convoy route execution.

So, by Pete's response, this was not an intended change in game mechanics. And by the uncharacteristically large number of sightings that were missed, there is NO WAY this is just a case of a small percent chance to miss a sighting.

100% of my sightings with empires that I have a Total Alliance or Alliance with didn't happen. Some were in convoy routes, some were not. What I don't know is, were there other sightings missed with other levels of PAPs? (i.e., an empire I have a Non-Aggression pact with might not be upfront about whether I should have had any sightings with him or not this turn). What I can gather from very limited data is that sightings did happen per the norm with low PAP settings (unknown aliens, declared enemies, etc.).

Something has definitely changed and this can not be chalked up to the odd missed sighting.

The ONLY sightings I had with my GGT this turn was INSIDE my HW system and only 4 total when I moved a merchant fleet about (no sensors) The merchant fleet detected one of my TAs but not the other so I would say something is very wonky with the code. It would be nice to have back the GM notes so Pete could say something like "Next turn I will be playing with the detection code for alien fleet sightings so could everyone keep an eye on this" or perhaps this was just a breakdown of the code?

/Locklyn

It is so lonely where I am, never had an alien fleet sighting period......

How can you be sure if they're not showing up? <_<

To prevent the inevitable "oh, there they are!" that immediately preceeds the flash of bright light; I suggest the following to speed the development of the Mk1 Alien scanner:

:beer: + :cheers: + :drunk: = :alien2:

It is so lonely where I am, never had an alien fleet sighting period......

How can you be sure if they're not showing up? <_<

To prevent the inevitable "oh, there they are!" that immediately preceeds the flash of bright light; I suggest the following to speed the development of the Mk1 Alien scanner:

:beer: + :cheers: + :drunk: = :alien2:

We can help you with that! :cheers:

From just one of my turns -

My July 25 turn had 1259 fleet sightings

My August 23 turn had 2

I have recently eliminated a few convoy routes that generated a few sightings, but not to the extent that the results indicate.

In addition I have the advantage of more than one position with fleets in the same location and they didn't see each other.

To me this says something has gone south. This also makes me a bit worried that sightings of enemy ships that I was looking for failed to appear so naval combat failed to run as well.

:alien2:

Some of my fleets that normally make sightings have sensor tech so unless fleets require really good sensors now I'd expect to be seeing alien fleets.

I remember thinking way back at the beginning of the game that fleets would probably require sensors to spot other (uncloaked) fleets, but since that clearly hasn't been the case the last five or so years I'd be very surprised to learn we suddenly need to redesign a lot of our ships with sensors... :alien2:

Considering that for many this is a gamebreaker bug, if you cant detect the hostile alien fleet on your doorstep then how are you going to defend against it? The silence from RTG is troublesome to say the least. At lot of these seem to be popping up of late, critical mass in the game engine?

/Locklyn

Pete, care to comment? Ive emailed on this as well but received no reply.

/Locklyn

Pete did comment. Here's his reply:

Sighting of enemy units during convoy routes is definitely something that can happen, and can trigger battles just like in regular fleet movements. If for whatever reason some possible sightings didn't occur as expected this cycle, they didn't happen and without a sighting there definitely won't be a combat. I'll look into it for next time and will put some stop statements in the code for locations I know are hotspots to keep a close eye on convoy route execution.

When I spotted this problem early Sat. morning, I immediately posted to the board. My hope was that a lot of players would quickly respond when they saw they were having similar problems. If we had a large enough response very early after turns came out, I think we would have had a much better chance of Pete seeing this as a serious crisis and if it affected enough people, a rerun might be in order. Honestly, the response was rather lackluster and slow, giving the impression that it was likely a localized event only affecting a handful of people.

I would still like to see this issue addressed seriously (by Pete, and by more of the players that were affected) and I would still like to see a timely fix and a rerun of this cycle.

Petes answer seems to imply that he thought this only affected sighting during Convoy execution which is not the situation. Ive also tried mailing Pete but since I usually only get replies if any just before the next turn Id be surprised to get an answer before next turn. Still waiting a reply to see if he has fixed the bug with Universal Gates...

/Locklyn

Gentlemen,

I believe Pete may be out of town, something about a Con to go to. Perhaps he hasn't seen all the comments, which if you read the intial post and his response leads me to believe he didn't.

Has anyone tried to call him? He was answering the phone on Saturday.

Also, it's highly unlikely there will be a turn re-run.

Lord Uriel