Rolling Thunder Forums

Advanced Exploration Finds

Eldred

Lugal,

You weren't the only one caught off guard by the EXPL change. I started building EXPL fleets without cargo space since I hadn't found items in about 20 turns of doing EXPL orders.... Boom, I lose an unknown number of Medium Sonic Disruptors, Fuel Tankage, and Improved Processed Radioactives. On the other hand, my two finds (luckily I had some cargo space floating around) only netted me 547 Garoxx Jewels and 17 Light P-Cannons. You probably didn't miss out on all that much.

Of course I'm now building some quick cargo ships to send off to my EXPL fleets. I wouldn't be so sanguine about our losses if I got a note that said I'd found Mk III Anti-matter Engines but had discarded them for lack of cargo space! :thumbsup:

Lord Xaar

The Ring of Vheissu

Yes,

Sometimes I feel it would be nice to know say two turns in advance when Pete has repaired a feature in the game or removed a bug so that one doesn't hit the brickwall headfirst at 60mph. Though in this case they did actually put up a notice/discuss it somewhere mid august (can't remember) that it would soon be fixed.

/Locklyn

Actually, I think RTG did a good job of alerting us to the change. I didn't prioritize adding cargo to some of my fleets -- that's not their fault. I'll have that problem taken care of next turn.

I think cancelling EXPL orders due to lack of cargo space is probably over-reaction. I'll take a chance on losing items for two turns rather than go through the hassle of redo-ing a bunch of EXPLs.

Lord Xaar

The Ring of Vheissu

ditto, although I already had EXPL fleets with cargo, they were small cargo spaces. One fleet did 2 EXPL's last turn and was successful with both. However the first EXPL order filled up the cargo hold, and the 2nd EXPL I found something I really could use....... (alas discarded) :thumbsup:

Guess it's good to be an HBOB member and this stuff doesn't bother me.... :ph34r:

Alcorn the Honored One

Before anybody makes any leaps of logic, I never exspressed any discontent with RTG. I was upset at my short sightedness. I beleive that the loss of a few Pathfinders doing XEPL is out weighed by the gain in discovered items.

EDIT: Items lost:Laser CIDS, Advanced Heavy Machinery, Advanced Weapons.

I love the new exploration changes!

I'm 100% sure I'll be starting/replacing a position in the near future once a few other features are flushed out and I see some things with the tech tree.

These EXPL changes are great. HOWEVER - we now have the added consideration of hauling all those finds around.....a simple solution would be to combine the RN/NEWF order to allow cargo fleets to run back and forthbetween EXPL positions. :alien2: [[ ok, ok...for expl finds on worlds that I DONT have a colony on ]]

Knowing what I know now about the game, my newer position would start MUCH differently (and more efficiently)

:cheers:

=Sigh=

Frankly, I'm not going to worry too much about going into shock from rushing out to EXPL every little planet I come across. I'm probably not going to be too bad off if my foe finds even a few dozen of some advanced weaponry.

And if I get blotted by some newbie who finds a nova inducer, you can bet I'm going to be on the phone with Pete and Russ. I would hate to think that success in this game turned upon random discoveries during exploration, rather than careful, continuous growth and research.

The Gosht Kohr shall officially declair all ancient technologies as 'bad' and to be avoided. After all, if it had been 'good,' then those ancient civilizations would still be around, wouldn't they. Unofficially, if we find something and it will fit into our existing cargo bays, we'll take it back for the scientists. If not, oh well!

A grump-cat's two cents worth. :alien2:

-Sha'thar