Rolling Thunder Forums

Black Hole class Starliner

Coconutheads

What a interesting turn of events for Obsidian Inc. Enlighten us, were you surprised when you opened up your latest turns to see the results?

It seems that the mysterious Mr. Obsidian (is he MMB, is he not MMB???) put together a 440 million ton Starliner with get this... 1600 AP!!!! In addition to the massive number of AP, he also had 10,000 colony berths on board. Based on the design and the timing of when the naval battle happened, it appears that this ship was placed on a convoy route to pull 10,000 pops each roundtrip, effectively draining the former Roman HW of all it's population in very short order.

Fortunately for us and sadly for Obsidian Inc, the good Mr. Pete fixed the bug which prevented naval battles from occurring during convoy routes. Also fortunately, the ex-Roman HW was visited by 3 of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse... War, Death and Famine (reliable sources report that Pestilence has recently retired from the group allowing the remaining three members to take up his slack).

So, while it is true that Black Holes are quite powerful forces of nature, it turns out that even a Black Hole cannot withstand the might of War, Death and Famine.

In addition to the loss of the Black Hole, a Tsunami class TT (200 million tons loaded with 5000 troops!!!!), two Vortex class NDNs (50 million tons each) 3 Stormcrow class BBs (5million tons each) and a Welcome Wagon class BC (1 million tons) were also destroyed over the former Roman HW

A suggestion for you Obsidian. You should contact The Black Cloud. You can commiserate with each other on how it feels to lose two homeworlds on back-to-back turns.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately for us and sadly for Obsidian Inc, the good Mr. Pete fixed the bug which prevented naval battles from occurring during convoy routes. Also fortunately, the ex-Roman HW was visited by 3 of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse... War, Death and Famine (reliable sources report that Pestilence has recently retired from the group allowing the remaining three members to take up his slack).

According to the story in the book "Good Omens", Pollution took up the slack when Pestilence retired (as he was less meaningful to a modern world).

Also, now I'm dang curious as to where they were moving that HW POP. Lets see .. close down all the industry, convert all the POP to colonists, and you can move them in say .. 60 round trips. 1600 AP, 60 trips, about 25 AP used per round trip .. so he could move the whole POP to a location 6 jumps away in one turn, 12 jumps in two turns. One could use a Universal Cargo Gate to transfer all the CM and stuff between worlds. Far less risky than a ship as we see here. Pop grows more slowly, so sending the colonists via the UCG and losing some is a waste of resources. Of course, that's probably how all the CM and stuff was going to be moved (via Gate) .. it may already be moved! In which case the pillage of the Roman HW will be completed on action 1 next turn when the colonists are transferred via Gate (despite loses), leaving nothing for anyone to retake. Something to think about.....

Actually ... was the Roman HW retaken this turn? It's sort of implied, but not stated as such. It could be the retook space above the world, and will invade next turn to find nothing of value left.

This is turning out to be more entertaining that watching Nancy Pelosi squirm through her multiple versions of the truth.

Haha, never heard of the book of "Good Omens". No matter, I believe that even if Pollution had been part of the attack force it would NOT have been a good omen for the hapless Obsidian/Eyre.

As to where they are moving the pop, we'll withhold on speculation at this time. Suffice it to say that we KNOW that nothing further will be moved using the defunct Black Hole SLNR.

Regarding retaking this turn, this is our first turn in orbit. Game mechanics preclude the option of dropping troops (if they hadn't been busy elsewhere anyway, eh Obsidian?) on the first turn in orbit. Stay tuned for further developments on that front.

Glad to hear that you are entertained by this.... : )

According to the story in the book "Good Omens", Pollution took up the slack when Pestilence retired (as he was less meaningful to a modern world).

Also, now I'm dang curious as to where they were moving that HW POP. Lets see .. close down all the industry, convert all the POP to colonists, and you can move them in say .. 60 round trips. 1600 AP, 60 trips, about 25 AP used per round trip .. so he could move the whole POP to a location 6 jumps away in one turn, 12 jumps in two turns. One could use a Universal Cargo Gate to transfer all the CM and stuff between worlds. Far less risky than a ship as we see here. Pop grows more slowly, so sending the colonists via the UCG and losing some is a waste of resources. Of course, that's probably how all the CM and stuff was going to be moved (via Gate) .. it may already be moved! In which case the pillage of the Roman HW will be completed on action 1 next turn when the colonists are transferred via Gate (despite loses), leaving nothing for anyone to retake. Something to think about.....

Actually ... was the Roman HW retaken this turn? It's sort of implied, but not stated as such. It could be the retook space above the world, and will invade next turn to find nothing of value left.

This is turning out to be more entertaining that watching Nancy Pelosi squirm through her multiple versions of the truth.

Yep, muttering something about penicillin

Haha, never heard of the book of "Good Omens". No matter, I believe that even if Pollution had been part of the attack force it would NOT have been a good omen for the hapless Obsidian/Eyre.
the ex-Roman HW was visited by 3 of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse... War, Death and Famine (reliable sources report that Pestilence has recently retired from the group allowing the remaining three members to take up his slack).

Will someone please introduce him to the works of the late Terry Pratchett?? :thumbsup:

Then we can speculate about what he would do with a 'Pelosi' character. :wub:

Looking over the old posts & threads about Obsidian, I can only say 'Good Luck' ; seems like it's been a long time coming. :D

:thumbsup::D

the ex-Roman HW was visited by 3 of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse... War, Death and Famine (reliable sources report that Pestilence has recently retired from the group allowing the remaining three members to take up his slack).

Will someone please introduce him to the works of the late Terry Pratchett?? :wub:

Then we can speculate about what he would do with a 'Pelosi' character. :thumbsup:

Wow .. he's done so many characters already. I'd say Pelosi is close in how she thinks to .. Cosmo Lavish.

Wow .. he's done so many characters already. I'd say Pelosi is close in how she thinks to .. Cosmo Lavish.

Hm-m-m, Good choice but with so many to choose from......... :thumbsup:

Your realize, of course, that I can never use the avatar's 'Death's Daughter' or 'Cohan the Barbarian' now without everyone knowing it's really me? :D

Now I have to dust off the library again; if the Orangutan will let me! :wub:

:thumbsup::D

Hm-m-m, Good choice but with so many to choose from......... :unsure:

Your realize, of course, that I can never use the avatar's 'Death's Daughter' or 'Cohan the Barbarian' now without everyone knowing it's really me? :(

Now I have to dust off the library again; if the Orangutan will let me! :rolleyes:

:cannon::cheers:

Just put her coat of arms as a label on your strongest brews. The drinkers will never know.

Sigh, we need another story with our favorite Wizzard.

What a interesting turn of events for Obsidian Inc. Enlighten us, were you surprised when you opened up your latest turns to see the results?

It seems that the mysterious Mr. Obsidian (is he MMB, is he not MMB???) put together a 440 million ton Starliner with get this... 1600 AP!!!! In addition to the massive number of AP, he also had 10,000 colony berths on board. Based on the design and the timing of when the naval battle happened, it appears that this ship was placed on a convoy route to pull 10,000 pops each roundtrip, effectively draining the former Roman HW of all it's population in very short order.

So, while it is true that Black Holes are quite powerful forces of nature, it turns out that even a Black Hole cannot withstand the might of War, Death and Famine.

In addition to the loss of the Black Hole, a Tsunami class TT (200 million tons loaded with 5000 troops!!!!), two Vortex class NDNs (50 million tons each) 3 Stormcrow class BBs (5million tons each) and a Welcome Wagon class BC (1 million tons) were also destroyed over the former Roman HW

A suggestion for you Obsidian. You should contact The Black Cloud. You can commiserate with each other on how it feels to lose two homeworlds on back-to-back turns.

Congratulations! We salute you. An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Kirk

So, does using a Gate lose you some of the transferred items or not? I thought someone said that had been turned off.