Rolling Thunder Forums

21 day (slow) game - anyone interested?

LenLorek

A few years back I played in a 21 day (slow) game of Victory!, and I would like to do so again. Is anyone else interested in joining me?

I find that I can cope with the frequency of the regular 14 day game *most* of the time, but I would miss a game turn's deadline too often due to my other RL commitments, which spoiled the game for me. There must be other gamers in the same position who would prefer the less frequent slow game -- if so, then please reply to this topic to show RTG there is a demand for a slow game, and send your set-up request to Russ! :)

Many thanks,

Len Lorek

Count me out - That should increase take up :)

Why oh why.. with 21 day intervals you'd last at least 148 days!

I'd play in a short game ~ i played in several many years ago.

This would actually be a longer game than normal (4 years instead of 2,5).

Len, you should check out the revised rules on turn timing. You can't really 'miss' a turn anymore because there is no turn deadline. If you play in a 14-day game and you send in after 20 days, you get 20/14 of your production and move your target processing date 6 days. If you just want to be able to send in after three weeks or four weeks every once in a while, you can now play the regular 14-day games and do so.

(of course, if your opponents do send in every 14 days they will get a double turn on you sooner or later if you do, but at least the computer won't start making turns for you after 14 days anymore)

I knew what I meant? i think....LOL ~ yes, I will play in a longer time cycle game.

Len, you should check out the revised rules on turn timing. You can't really 'miss' a turn anymore because there is no turn deadline. If you play in a 14-day game and you send in after 20 days, you get 20/14 of your production and move your target processing date 6 days. If you just want to be able to send in after three weeks or four weeks every once in a while, you can now play the regular 14-day games and do so.

(of course, if your opponents do send in every 14 days they will get a double turn on you sooner or later if you do, but at least the computer won't start making turns for you after 14 days anymore)

Technically, if you slide past the last day of a turn cycle without processing a turn, you do lose a turn. Every time you move past the last day of a turn cycle without processing a turn, you process one less turn in the game. That is 60/90/120 fewer orders than other players in the game, each time. I believe it also has a undesired effect on your averages ~ moral & treasury. They both take a significant hit each time you do not process in the time frame allotted for a tech period. Your national morale/treasury may actually increase, but the average will decrease, sometimes significantly.

That has always been true Mickey, however, you only get up to 100% increase. If you wait 29 days for instance, you get 28/14, not 29/14.

I knew what I meant? i think....LOL ~ yes, I will play in a longer time cycle game.

Technically, if you slide past the last day of a turn cycle without processing a turn, you do lose a turn. Every time you move past the last day of a turn cycle without processing a turn, you process one less turn in the game. That is 60/90/120 fewer orders than other players in the game, each time.

This is correct. However, it does mean you are not hardbound to a deadline. I don't know a single player in a game i played in that never delayed a turn for an entire game. Many do it regularly to spread an alliance through the tech period, jumping over the end of a period if needed for rearranging that order. As long as you do it on a need-to basis, and that need isn't every month, you're good.

I believe it also has a undesired effect on your averages ~ moral & treasury. They both take a significant hit each time you do not process in the time frame allotted for a tech period. Your national morale/treasury may actually increase, but the average will decrease, sometimes significantly.

This sounds like a bug in the calculation module where he may throw a zero in the calculation somewhere. Has this been reported to Russ?

That has always been true Mickey, however, you only get up to 100% increase. If you wait 29 days for instance, you get 28/14, not 29/14.

*chuckles* Well, it may have been true for the newbies at RTG, but in the really old days there was no increase; You could spread between 10 and 27 days after previous as long as you were in the tech period, but the production was always 100%.

It's a good economic model for Russ to limit the additional production at 100%. It makes even the cheap people send in a turn at least once per 4 weeks. Imagine Iceland starting in winter and simply not bothering to send in a turn until turn 11 so he'd skip the bad production season and have his entire production for the LSM's/QM's in one go! :D

*chuckles* Well, it may have been true for the newbies at RTG, but in the really old days there was no increase; You could spread between 10 and 27 days after previous as long as you were in the tech period, but the production was always 100%.

It's a good economic model for Russ to limit the additional production at 100%. It makes even the cheap people send in a turn at least once per 4 weeks. Imagine Iceland starting in winter and simply not bothering to send in a turn until turn 11 so he'd skip the bad production season and have his entire production for the LSM's/QM's in one go! :D

The real problem in 'skipping' a full tech period, to me, isn't the production, It's the NTS. In many games, I have more than enough AIR points to build 10 air units every turn. If I skip a tech period, I've just lost the ability to build 10 Air units. Same for navy, you can only build one Queen Mary per turn, no matter how many SHIP points you have. :beer:

• 1 month later...

I participated in a slow game back in the old PBM Express days. Game "2".

That game had a high amount of dropped positions and became quite boring after a few years.

I never finished it, despite having the best position of any game of victory that I ever joined.

120 orders each three weeks when there's no on left to fight is not much fun.

At the PBM Express they also changed the minimum number of days between turns (in normal games) to 10, which made for some really interesting possibilities. Production would be reduced of course, but you could make up for lost time, or even try to DW and then do another turn before your enemy knew what hit him. :)