Rolling Thunder Forums

Dag ~ it is a difficult position. This game is also unique in the regard that there are no TA's, but surely you have made deals to trade for the resource ~ at least it seems that you have according to the forums. The money invested just does not seem to match the return. You have gotten to 31 coal per turn at what cost? Just a guess, but maybe $600 per turn? That is very expensive considering the navy you have to invest on in order to expand. Didn't seem worth it to me when I played the position and still doesn't.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of your conclusions are right. That is why the Icelandic fleet has a different size and composition as in game 87 or 89. This time there are lots of ships dat do not consume fuel in the fleet.

But do not worry, Iceland produces enough food now to feed its own population and has enough energy reserves to last to turn 73. Which was the general strategy for the opening of the game.

The cost for a Geological Exploration project is $100 per province, per
project. Not per successful project, per project.

Straight out of the rules:

The chance for success for any given RPD order will remain the same
(terrain based) as will the cost of an attempt ($100 per attempt).

The cost is per attempt. I had to go double check because I was about to do cartwheels thinking I could do unlimited RPD's and only pay for the ones that were successful.

I know what the rules say. Try it out and you'll see. :)

I've never had the time or inclination to go through my turn line by line and figure out how my money is being spent, so I'll take your word for it. :blink:

Playing Iceland, which has many 'dull' turns, gives ample opportunity to find out stuff like this. :D

OK, so I just went and did the treasury math on 4 of my turns in which I have done RPD's. Kudo's guys.....Everyone: Mickey & Dag; they are correct. You only pay if the RPD was a success, contrary to the published rules. Never attempted to verify the treasury math down to every last dollar spent before.

• 3 weeks later...

I have totally conquered Hungary...by myself. Now, I know very well this means nothing to most of you, but it means a great deal to me. In all the Victory! games I've played--not as many as some of you, yes--this is the first time I've accomplished this. I may very well get conquered myself..but I can say I've done this. I've earned the bragging rights. :taz:

A true one on one is rare.

I never had one, though the fight between Iceland and Great Brittain and between Saudi Arabia and the UAE in game 95 came close.

A truely balanced 5 vs 5 seems to be even rarer.

A true one on one is rare.

I never had one, though the fight between Iceland and Great Brittain and between Saudi Arabia and the UAE in game 95 came close.

A truely balanced 5 vs 5 seems to be even rarer.

Map?