Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco - Galactic Directory

hobknob

moved    

• 3 months later...

While awaiting publication of the great Galactic Directory, I thought I would compare notes with others.

My explorations have found two unusual systems that appear to be Galactic hubs with 9 warp points leading to each of them.  Has anyone else been finding "hubs" like these?  Anyone find a world with more warp points than 9 leading to them? 

Anyone care to project how these kind of "hub" systems will affect strategy and tactics as the game develops and players find themselves with neighbors along large border areas? 

I am blessed that these systems are EXTREMELY far from my homeworld but I would develop a paranoia about defending them if they were close to my homeworld. 

Well, it's not ideal, but it does have one moon that is ideal and another that is worded as (Not Ideal, but close).  but the rest of the system is interesting if I was level 6 or greater tech with huge lost of population likely.

Hot Rockball
Asteroid 
Hot Rockball
Asteroid 
Terstrial
Gas Giant
Moon
Moon  Ideal
Moon  Not Ideal but close

Be aware that colonizing in Draco is a lot easier than in Andromeda.  Installations such as Domed Cities can be quite effective at making otherwise totally inhospitable worlds great colonies.  Furthermore, general colonization bonuses from installations (which is what almost all of them provide) stack directly, so if you have Domed Cities and Subterranean Cities at the same colony, their benefits combine with no loss of effectiveness.  This can be a great way to drop colonists onto really nasty worlds such as those with the wrong atmosphere (or no atmosphere at all) and extreme temperatures.

Even Gas Giants can be colonized--it's assumed that your colonists live in orbital habitats, though the temperature, atmosphere and other features of the Gas Giant are still used in the attrition formula.  You can even build Subterranean Cities for such colonies (your colonists would be living inside debris orbiting the Gas Giant or manufactured armored habitats as examples).  Admittedly it's a bit odd to visualize some of the colonization installations for Gas Giant colonies from a reality perspective, but it can be done.

Well you have 2 belts which are a BIG plus. 

Take the Keeper of the Galaxy's advice to heart. Get out there and colonize. If you don't you'll literally get run over by someone who has.  

The various installations do indeed help tremendously with attrition. If your race even has some basic attributes that help with colonization like high growth or heat resistance a domed city along with a temperature affecting installation will make even the most hostile world ideal. 

If not then you will just need a few more installations but EVERY race in Draco can colonize almost all worlds. It's just a matter of time and cost.?

I would also like to say something about overkill when colonizing. I can colonize almost anything but I have found that having too much does not help at all. Two things that do not impact my race are temperature and atmosphere. A colony dome reduces my loses to zero except on one world. However, I am still growing on that world and gain instead of lose overall.

IN DRACO

If you don't have armed warships on those warp points they will get to your homeworld

One way warp points are no protection against your neighbors or DMX.

You need at least million ton war ships to stop scout ships.

Mined resources are useless in large piles on colony worlds because you have to be able to process them. 

Be willing to send ships to everywhere, If your not there someone else will claim it and not let you through.

Alliance members cannot travel through your space even if you trust them.

Space is growing smaller as all my neighbors are prisoners or DMX so far. 

As I am finding, be prepared to fight to be able to scan a warp point and lose all your leaders in the process.