Colonial Attrition Survey ??????

Tokmok

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the may answers

1)

I think (actually I am pretty sure by now) that the CB´s you get for different lifeform abillities just get added together for a combined CB.

For instance I have the Natural chemical exchanger but in every CSV I make the atmosphere attrition bar is almost always the longest bar.

2)

If you look at the CSV result for a lifeform with a given CB you also get a

lifeform(favoralbe) bar. And sometimes also a terrain (favorable) bar.

I think for each CSV that

(total length of attrition bars) - (total lenght of favorable bars) = the actual attrit.

so that the goal for an ideal CSV is to build installations that reduce/increase the bars so that the lenght of the favorable bars is greater than the unfavorable bars.

thanks

Thanks for the may answers

1)

I think (actually I am pretty sure by now) that the CB´s you get for different lifeform abillities just get added together for a combined CB.

For instance I have the Natural chemical exchanger but in every CSV I make the atmosphere attrition bar is almost always the longest bar.

2)

If you look at the CSV result for a lifeform with a given CB you also get a

lifeform(favoralbe) bar. And sometimes also a terrain (favorable) bar.

I think for each CSV that

(total length of attrition bars) - (total lenght of favorable bars) =  the actual attrit.

so that the goal for an ideal CSV is to build installations that reduce/increase the bars so that the lenght of the favorable bars is greater than the unfavorable bars.

thanks

Tokmok:

I am certain that a chemical exchanger gives a bonus only (or at least mainly) to atmophere attrition. I've been told that directly by Pete. I think the reason you see these long atmosphere bars is that atmosphere is the severest form of attrition to begin with (temperature being second). Also, since the bars are stating only the relative attrition from each type of condition, a long atmosphere bar does not mean that the attrition is particularly severe. It just means that most of the overall attrition comes from atmosphere.

- woolfe

T -

1. Chemical Exchanger adds to lifeform bonus. (not a subtraction from atmoshpere)

2. Do not count ticks on the bars

3. The reason Temp and Atmosphere are so brutal is as follows:

Temp = -60/+30 from Home World. With a range of 30 -400 there is a good chance you are out of the ideal range and it goes exponentional when you exceed the -60/+30.

Atmosphere = You either have your own or you don't. So no hit or a huge hit.

The rest are pretty normal since Gravity tolerance is +1/-1 and gravity ranges from 0-5 (with most likely .5- 3).

Microbes are actually the deadliest but we never see them. I just found out that one of my planets/colonies has them and YIKKKKEESSSSS. Even at moderate my % loss is 30% and I am a colonizer.

I would have expected your gas exchanger to increase the lifeform bonus (more ++) and not affect the base attrition value of atmosphere. The net would be the same, just better accounting procedures to know from whence come the benefits. Any way just build a dome and it won't rain on your parade.

All...

All ++++ are added and that gives you a lifeform bonus. This subtracts from the attrition total and gives you an ideal to very high.

So the answer is...

No specific lifeform feature that gives a CB's affects one area of attrition more than any other?

So if I have a chemical exchanger, I'll get a reduction in attrition even if there is a perfect atmophere match? Or will I just not get any pluses for being an exchanger if there is no atmosphere attrition to begin with?

No specific lifeform feature that gives a CB's affects one area of attrition more than any other?

Correct, a bonus is a bonus.

So if you have a chemical exchanger, you'll get a reduction in attrition even if there is a perfect atmosphere match or if there is no atmosphere at all. THis is because the sum of your lifeform bonuses (along the bottom) are what apply. of the remaining attrition, the relative proportion of causes are indicated by the bars.

Correct, a bonus is a bonus.

So if you have a chemical exchanger, you'll get a reduction in attrition even if there is a perfect atmosphere match or if there is no atmosphere at all. THis is because the sum of your lifeform bonuses (along the bottom) are what apply. of the remaining attrition, the relative proportion of causes are indicated by the bars.

I have to say that I find this not only inconsistent with what I've been told, but extremely disappointing. Why have all these lifeform features that purportedly reduce attrition from specific sources when in effect they all do the exactly the same thing? :blink:

I have a query that I put by Pete a whiles back but never got a reply to:

Say you have a high attritional colony which mainly is Atmosphere and Temp.

You have Cities, Domed Cities And Subterranean Cities available for building.

Now, are these stackable and is it wise to do so or should one always JUST build the highest level you have ie SubTerr Cities?

Why I wonder is because I've heard of some weird results from having both regular cities and domed cities on the same world and now I'm placing down 10 SubTerr Cities and I want to know its not going to be a prob if I already have domed cities in place? How does it work Pete?

/Locklyn

I have had no stacking issues.

City is a + to lifeform

Domed is a huge atmosphere reducer, plus some +s to lifeform

Subt City is a microbe stopper and I think temp (need to CSV a location). Maybe you can look that one over when you CSV it.

I have no need for the Subt Cities (Domed makes me ideal) but do have a Microbe world if I have time.

This is to prevent people from starting and dropping empires looking for the perfect world. Say you have a 120 temp and took VL Temp Resistant. If it applied to temp you would then be ideal on asteroids. Better to just give a general bonus.

M

Better to just make sure in everyone's setup that they don't take low temp resistent and end up on a low temp world where it's useless.

The way it is, it's like having a lot of stuff that looks really cool, but really isn't. Like a bunch of multi-colored candies that all taste the same. One should be able to select options in the lifeform tables that real, not just different names for the same thing. It seems to create depth, but the depth is actually illusory. Not a design chocie I would have made, but I'll just have to live with it.