Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonial Attrition Survey ??????

Tokmok

I would assume that the "Special" bonus that comes with certain lifeform chioces are the ones that apply to unique situations. There would have to be code for each of these scenarios and would be a constant work in progress. It is virtually impossible to forsee ahead of time all of the possibilities. Since this is a game and one that is constantly being updated then if we are confronted with a situation in which a "Special" bonus should apply then it will be addressed at that time. I have faith in the game design. :robot:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is to prevent people from starting and dropping empires looking for the perfect world. Say you have a 120 temp and took VL Temp Resistant. If it applied to temp you would then be ideal on asteroids. Better to just give a general bonus.

M

This makes sense as a way to keep players from dropping and restarting only if the players know about it . Doesn't do any good if only a few player know how it actually works. Especially when the descriptions in the rules go on and on about how each type of bonus specifically impacts a particular type of attrition.

This type of thread has come up a time or two on the boards and I don't think Pete has officially said much about it yet. Now might be a good time.

This is to prevent people from starting and dropping empires looking for the perfect world. Say you have a 120 temp and took VL Temp Resistant. If it applied to temp you would then be ideal on asteroids. Better to just give a general bonus.

M

This makes sense as a way to keep players from dropping and restarting only if the players know about it . Doesn't do any good if only a few player know how it actually works. Especially when the descriptions in the rules go on and on about how each type of bonus specifically impacts a particular type of attrition.

This type of thread has come up a time or two on the boards and I don't think Pete has officially said much about it yet. Now might be a good time.

Yep. When I designed my race, I specifically took Advanced Respiratory System because I heard that an atmosphere mismatch was the severist form of attrition. From reading the descriptions in the rules, which I took seriously, I assumed that this feature operates primarily, if not exclusively, to counter that type of attrition. Now I don't regret taking the feature exactly, because it does reduce attrition generally. But I am a bit frustrated that the desriptions in the rules are for color only, and don't mean anything. They create an illusion of depth to this aspect of the rules that apparently isn't there. According to what I now understanding, "low" temp resistance actually helps you equally well to fight off "high" temp. So low and high temp resistance are exactly the same feature with a different name?!

And I've planned strategies around colonizing worlds based on the assumption. Case in point - next turn I am offloading my first group of colonists on a world with an atmosphere mismatch that is perfect in every other way. I had assumed that advanced respiratory plus Domed Cities would eliminate attrition entirely. Now I'm not so certain. Guess I'll find out soon enough...

If you are a colonizer race then if either temp or atmosphere are within tolerance you will be ideal.

Depends what you mean by "colonizer race." There are degrees of col bonuses you can have. I have advanced respirator, excellent repro and long life. I never get "ideal" on my CSV's if there's an atmosphere or temp mismatch. Perhaps with more bonuses I would.

yeah a few more would kick you over. I am either Ideal, Moderate or Very High (gas Giant).

It's weird, because my CB bar on my PDF is 85% near to being flush right, yet you can clearly have a *way* higher CB than I have. You could literally stack up 5x the bonus I have. You'd think that flush right would indicate something like the maximum theoretical bonus. Those bars are just funky.

The bars on the pdf compare each category only within your own empire. If colonization is the best thing your race is designed for then the COL bar will be the longest. It doesn't necessarily have to do with how good you are compared to the max possible, but only how that particular trait compares to all of the other traits for your empire.

The bars on the pdf compare each category only within your own empire. If colonization is the best thing your race is designed for then the COL bar will be the longest. It doesn't necessarily have to do with how good you are compared to the max possible, but only how that particular trait compares to all of the other traits for your empire.

That's pretty much what I figured. They're relative values, like the CSV bars. So far they don't seem to shift though when you pick up things like Species Engineering that allows new lifeform features.

Really? I would have expected them to shift. Maybe it wasn't a big enough change to be noticeable. Or maybe Pete can do a little tweaking with the programming to get it to show up.

I have it on good word (translation: I talked to someone who talked to Pete), that those bars are static for the time being.

Well, that at least implies that it is something he is willing to look at/work on at some point. Not that it's a biggie or anything. I would expect that it is low on his list of stuff to do. Lots of other cool stuff to work on ;) .

The only thing that makes it kind of significiant is all this uncertainty about the mental powers and their effects. What happens when you get an MDD or another generation of the mental powers horizon tech? Do some of your bars move?

The connection between MDDs and Mental Power training is one of the theories since there is nothing in the rules about how to train the powers and since there is nothing now denoting that you have mental powers, if they're increasing in any way through development of MDDs or even a way to gauge the rumored Mental Powers troops are supposed to have through the TACs...

In short there is no way ingame to see if and what effect your costly mental powers has and if they improve through research...

/Locklyn