Rolling Thunder Forums

Guard, Army or Marines

crossroads

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each of the Ground units has different ratings against a few, or many, of the (35?) known Ground Combat Technologies.

These ratings are then multiplied by the numbers of the technologies you have acquired and their level to obtain the TAC values you will see if you perform a TAC order on your armies.

It is believed that every combat unit has the same overall 'value', but each has a unique spread across the technologies.

Depending on which technologies you have researched, different troop types will be better, or worse, than others at that particular time.

The only way to find out - build the units and perform TAC orders........ :rolleyes:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Our guess (based on semantics and completely unsupported by data) is that guards are better at defending and marines better at attacking, with army balanced between.

Of course, that's the opinion of the war-like human controlling us. We still see no reason for weaponry, since we long ago developed pheromonal/ telepathic "fences" to keep away predators. No species bent on violence could have evolved sentience, so we're not worried.

My armies are either guards, army or marines - I have never tried mixing the three together in one army! The only reason that I haven't done this is that there appears to be similar troop types in each area and I saw no point in duplication.

Having now had regard to the Ur-Lord's remarks I wonder whether it is possible to achieve a good spread across the ground combat techs by having an army of only one type, or would I need to put together a mix of guards, army and marines?

Which one do you use where? :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a single answer to this question. Think of it as asking, what is the best tool for building a house.

I think they are all equal, they just aren't identical.

What you build depends on your race, your tech advances, the purpose for building them, all those things. If there were a "best" choice, then everyone would build them once they figured out what that was.

So, just build them if you want and have fun. They are all basically equal.

At least, that is what I believe.

Tom

First remark: it is good to have Ur Lord Tedric back again as a regular poster in this forum.

Eldred,

It seems to me that how you build your armies depends a lot on what you want to do with them.

If you want to conquer someone elses colony, I would build two armies: one mainly for conquering the colony (using marines) and one with guards.

I would send them into the attack at the same time, but with different attack instructions (with the marines more aggressive).

They all add firepower.

If you win the battle, leave the guards behind to defend the conquered colony and use the marines to do another attack somewhere else.

For defense of the homeworld, I use both guards and army, again in different armies, to protect my people and to be able to use the army for multipurpose (defense of the homeworld itself, for counterattacks or to use them on other planets if need be).

Kind regards,

First remark: it is good to have Ur Lord Tedric back again as a regular poster in this forum.

:o

That's most kind of you to say so!

I've been here all the time, there just hasn't been as much to say recently.....

There's also been the fact that many of the questions have already been answered by people closer in time zone, before I even see them.

Having just received my latest copy of Flagship to find another SN III article and a little missive from RTG in the news forum, I can only hope for even more new players.....?

Regards

Mx

Having just received my latest copy of Flagship to find another SN III article and a little missive from RTG in the news forum, I can only hope for even more new players.....?

Mx

Flagship still up and running? Did it stop publishing at one point? Wow, a blast from the past. Something else to get caught up on! :cheers:

Flagship US is, alas, indeed dead (I was the US editor at one point, before Nicky sold it off...long story there.) Flagship UK is still going quite strong under Carol Mulholland, as I understand it. If I had time, I'd try and resurrect the US version, but time is cheifly what I lack these days...

Is this available online by any chance? Or, as someone asked in another thread, is someone planning to scan it for the rest of us poor souls that haven't seen it?

I imagine there was never a Flagship Japan? (not that I could read it in Japanese, anyway)

;)

If someone could post to the RTG site that would be :oops:

It sounds like maybe someone from flagship didn't want me to post that here?

Even though no legal repurcussions are in order, I'm volunteering to move what I cut and paste from a copy of MMBs draft article sent to me before publication.

To avoid any hassle, I've removed it. Total number of views on this page are around 8 since I posted it, 4 of which are mine. So even in a worse case scenario, legal damages are 4 copies of Flagship presuming those that read it havent already seen it.

Sorry - was just being the nice guy and trying to satiate the curiousity of a fellow SNROTE player ;)

Whilst we are talking armies...I have just come across the ABP order - "Army Battle Plan" - which allows you to set your offensive and defensive options for each of your armies. What is the default setting for this order and where does it appear in my turn report? I'm sure its in there somewhere - probably under "Army Battle Plans" :P