Rolling Thunder Forums

GS Session 2

EternusIV

Hughestrog,

I think you're right. If I remember my school history lessons correctly, in the 16th century there were English "privateers" who were issued Letters of Marque by Queen Elizabeth that gave them permission to capture Spanish treasure ships returning from the New World.

These Letters of Marque changed the privateers from "Pirates" to "Commerce Raiders" in English Law :P . However, in Spanish Law, they were still Pirates, and if any of them were caught then they were hanged as such. :D

In SNROTE, the Pirate Nations can issue Letters of Marque to their ships :D , whereas the other nations can ignore these Letters. :D

Is history about to repeat itself?

Makes a change getting something right- thanks LenLorek! That's exactly what I was thinking of. Of course empires could attack in a piratical fasion, but have officials pleading ignorance and saying it was a rogue element in the navy, etc...

Upshot is you'd be very wary about trusting them and beef up the defenses along your border.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colony Posted on Jun 18 2004, 07:11 AM

Senator Hannibal -

How do we propose to control or legislate the governance of multiple empires?

Senator Alpha Diplomat - The Colony

Senator Alpha Diplomat--

I propose that the Senate is founded on good will. Without that, there is no point. BUT, to help guard against those of ill will, I further propose the Senate act swiftly and forcefully against those found to be "using" the Senate for ill purposes. Simply enact legislation calling for no empires of a member player to act counter to Senate bylaws. If a player is found to be in violation, the Senate could pass punitive measures.

What can I say?...the threat of many empires all declaring war on an individual player should give them pause before "using" the Senate. If it does not, so be it, but at least the Senate tried, rather than quit because it was simply "too difficult" to overcome.

I, Lord Priam, Mayor of the Palace, and leader of the Kazarim, hereby wish to enjoy the protections and benefits of the Galactic Senate and promise to honor the Bylaws ratified by the Galactic Senate. I remain a sovereign empire, but will honor any duties imposed upon me by the Senate for as long as I choose to remain a member. I also promise to inspire non-members to the high ideals for which the Galactic Senate stands.

Mayor of the Palace, Lord Priam

The Kazarian Remnant of Nova Austrasia

Sha'thar. Clan Eldress of the Gosht Kohr, votes for the anti-piracy bill. Mangy, sniviling poachers. :blink:

As the Unified Player bill is completely OOC ( How would we ever know, ICly?), she choses to abstain on this. Really, she doesn't mind if, in the course of the game, some player wants to rattle the senatorial 'cage' by presenting a threat via another position.

061704-2-01: Nay. Subsumed under 061704-2-04.

061704-2-02: Nay. The Senate is about role-playing. We of the Brotherhood are peaceful, but our precursor race (The Thamians) were amoral money-grubbers. The same person may run very different empires.

061704-2-03: Abstain. As written, this bill means nothing. We don't need to pass a law to discuss options.

061704-2-04: Yea. Theft requires violence, or at least its threat. This may not be tolerated.

061704-2-05: Nay. As written, this bill means nothing. The Senate has no territorial sovereignty to enforce.

Honored One Krelnett of Kraan

Zraaknod Brotherhood, #2084

LOL

The very first post has been edited as votes and bills roll in. I need to update it. I'll get to it sometime tomorrow.

We passed a bill for the secretary position and I hope somebody volunteers :lol:

We could organize threads by Bill or by entire session. I hae no preference.

But I do agree that the information is a bit scattered.....in a way its pretty cool to read...but I can see where others might think it cluttered.

We'll fix it! :drunk:

061704-2-01: Yes

061704-2-02: Yes

061704-2-03: Yes, where I interpret the by-law to mean that we still need to discuss the merits of the model later and that acceptance of 061704-2-03 does not mean acceptance of the model per se

061704-2-04: Yes

061704-2-05: Yes

United Republic of Scanners, empire 54, President Kasame M'Bete

We vote as follows:

061704-2-01: Yes

061704-2-02: Yes

061704-2-03: Yes

061704-2-04: Yes

061704-2-05: Yes

Honored One Senator Preota

Boo Consulate

Also be advised that due to time constraints of my office the Boo do hereby execute a plenary proxy on all matters before the Galatic Senate in the name of Senator Logion of the Benthis Collective. This proxy shall remain in effect until publically revoked.

Honored One Senator Perota

Boo Consulate