Rolling Thunder Forums

AstroSynthesis

SargonKingOfSlith

I think we should have a separate thread for this, although the discussion may already be winding down. I will most likely get the software, but I have the following questions and comments.

We need to be able to drag-and-drop the star positions. (I think this has already been verified.)

Can the import be set to only bring in new data, or will it overwrite existing data? I.E. after I drag-and-drop the stars into a nice geometrically balanced pattern, will the import destroy the positioning and set the stars back to randomly generated xyz positions?

We need to be able to import all the data:

Star System Name

Star System Class

Star System Sub Class

Star System Size

Star System Number

Star System Background Terrain

Warp Point Class

Warp Point Orbital Distance

Warp Point Size

Planet Orbit

Planet Class

Planet Orbital Distance

Planet Diameter

Planet Atmosphere

Population Groups on each planet

It would be REALLY nice if it imported the fleet positions! Although overwriting the fleet positions without overwriting the star coordinates may be a problem.

The warp point class needs to be displayed at each end of the warp connection. Shoehorning this into a Trade Route may prove troublesome. Can the trade route distance or “cost” be made dependant on the direction of travel?

It would be nice if a Galactic Standards Body (Senators?) would set some basic configuration stuff like the colors for 1-way and 2-way warp connections. That’s just in case some alliance members want to trade maps with similar color codes, schemes and configurations.

Suggested hardware is Pentium IV. I have a Pentium III at 866Mhz and Intel 3D Direct AGP with 4Mb Video RAM. Has anyone tried it on similar hardware?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the NBOS folks some specs to help them figure out the Nvidia Ti4600 issue - it works but you have to turn hardware acceleration off right now. I expect they'll correct it soon as they ordered the same card I have in one of our systems.

I've asked for complete import capability to be added to AstroSynthesis, but really what I want as a minimum is warp point imports. The rest of your ideas are great, and hopefully they can add them in as well. Warp points....ahhh that would be very good to have.

Actually, the AMD XP series would be MUCH better for this app than a (stupid) Intel chip. In fact, the have a new series coming out, I forget the name off the top of my head, which is even cheaper, and can be OC'ed which would rip on something like this. Add some 2-2-2-5 memory, a good graphics card, and let that baby run.

I downloaded the trial last night and it worked (not great, but usable) on a PII-450 with 128MB RAM and an old Riva TNT card.
Actually, the AMD XP series would be MUCH better for this app than a (stupid) Intel chip. In fact, the have a new series coming out, I forget the name off the top of my head, which is even cheaper, and can be OC'ed which would rip on something like this. Add some 2-2-2-5 memory, a good graphics card, and let that baby run.
I sent the NBOS folks some specs to help them figure out the Nvidia Ti4600 issue - it works but you have to turn hardware acceleration off right now. I expect they'll correct it soon as they ordered the same card I have in one of our systems.

I've asked for complete import capability to be added to AstroSynthesis, but really what I want as a minimum is warp point imports. The rest of your ideas are great, and hopefully they can add them in as well. Warp points....ahhh that would be very good to have.

I think they're trying to speak to me, I know it. You know you're really cute, but I don't know what you're saying. Say the first thing again..... :alien2:

..and yes, I have a 2 year old.....

I downloaded the trial as well and it looked way cool...but then something started happening and the galaxy wouldn't stop spinning whatever I did and it froze my computer up way solid...yes I have a Nvidia card :alien2:

/Locklyn

I downloaded the trial as well and it looked way cool...but then something started happening and the galaxy wouldn't stop spinning whatever I did and it froze my computer up way solid...yes I have a Nvidia card :)

/Locklyn

Sounds normal to me. Common features of windows software.

I downloaded the trial as well and it looked way cool...but then something started happening and the galaxy wouldn't stop spinning whatever I did and it froze my computer up way solid...yes I have a Nvidia card :D

/Locklyn

Downloaded the demo as well!

Looks very good. I managed to stop the spinning (although I'm not sure how).

• 3 weeks later...

They're looking at releasing an interim update to allow for lots of imports, including warp pionts. There are a number of other upgrades that they are looking to add to the program, but I've been pestering them for a more robust import capability :beer: No timetable on when, but hopefully soon.

Sweeeeet. Did they say whether the warp points could be made one-way and/or different ratings each direction?

They didn't say, but I'm assuming that they'll be as is, "Trade Routes" in the AstroSynthesis system. However, I believe a name can be attached to each Trade Route, so you could indicate whatever you like about it. If that remains, I'm hoping that the name can be imported - and therefore, automated.