Rolling Thunder Forums

Assigning Scientists

Hughestrog

Well diplomats can also affect production positively so I usually cart the lesser skilled ones off to one of my colonies. Would be nice to have some buildings that could affect their chance as well, perhaps it'll come down the road.

Cheers

/Locklyn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly disgusted with the brains in a jar races

Actually not a Brain in the jar race but we did choose Hierachal Technocracy with Science as Tradition. 34 Saved SRPS as we prefered to have a balanced race but only Tradition and Goverment style affects character recruitment and their promotions as well as a bit of luck :D

No propaganda, but since I am a turn 0 race I have 70 Leaders and 33 of them are Scientists so I guess I follow the % pretty well.

And why the vehemence about what people choose to play? There are coloniser races who like the coolness of the asteroid belts, it all depends upon your choice of play style.

:cheers:

/Locklyn

Locklyn,

Perhaps I have given you the wrong impression. I don't hate brains-in-a-jar races. They annoy me.

The bottom line for resloving conflict between empires will be research and production. The second can be heavily influenced by the first, so really it's the research.

Now Pete has stated that brain races will have a hard time defeating the brawn races and that's a nice balance. However, I have this vision of my first empire stranded on it's homeworld shaking it's fist in the air daring the brains to come down and fight like a man. The way I see it, my ground combat bonuses won't help me defeat Mk X "whatever," and by the time I develop Mk X "countermeasure, the brain will have developed Mk XV "almighty spit wad of destruction." :(

Does all this mean that I dislike any of the brains? No. The first empire just wants a fair chance of smacking the brains around and not having to invite them dirtside to do it. :D

However, if by any chance you would like to buy some muscle to protect your colonies or homeworlds, the first race is open to negoitations. B)

Lord Uriel

Thoughts from a warrior/colonizer race. You might have the Mk XV almighty spit wad of destruction. However, no empire will be able to have strong defenses against every kind of attack. There are too many avenues. He attacks with his spit wad (you have moderate defenses) and you open fire with the Mk X Omega cold ray. He might have minimal defenses against it and his ships explodes. Consider my race and a brainiac. Yes by now thier getting thier bonus of anywhere up to sixty percent in production. My colonization abilities will soon be matching this kind of tech growth. I'm not impressed.

For example, lets talk about only 10 of my armored divisions. How many divisions would it take to destroy just those divisions? While he built an army to match them, I built a fleet to match his high tech fleet. His high tech fleet of ten ships enters my system. We'll my fifty ships are there to meet him. I don't need to build more armies. I think I will be around a few rounds of battle. His tech is outdated by now compared to his homeworld. By know I have fought some of his scouts and built fresh defenses (at least one generation increase) to deal with his offensive weapons).

In addition, the brain blob empire has to worry about it's colonies. How many divisions would I need to risk to take a colony. Very few. I can spread them out on fleets and hide them easier.

Good luck in battle and bring your biggest spit wad and I'll bring my Death Star.

Razor

Lostworlds 1290

Not at all. Empires can start to meet up by turn 15 or so if you are lucky. Every empire will have neighbors, some friendly and some not so friendly. If a brawny race joins an alliance with a brain and a colonizer, its a pretty fearsome trio. Age of the empires is less of an issue due to the galaxy design, although there are some reported cases of elder empires finder newer ones.

Back on the top of leaders though, it definately looks like some leaders are more effective on a turn by turn basis. Ground leaders are fine when you need to invade someone once every couple years, but then you probably only need a handful of those leader. Meanwhile having a couple dozen scientists plugging away turn after turn is very nice.

Not at all. Empires can start to meet up by turn 15 or so if you are lucky. Every empire will have neighbors, some friendly and some not so friendly. If a brawny race joins an alliance with a brain and a colonizer, its a pretty fearsome trio. Age of the empires is less of an issue due to the galaxy design, although there are some reported cases of elder empires finder newer ones.

Back on the top of leaders though, it definately looks like some leaders are more effective on a turn by turn basis. Ground leaders are fine when you need to invade someone once every couple years, but then you probably only need a handful of those leader. Meanwhile having a couple dozen scientists plugging away turn after turn is very nice.

More Scientists, Diplomats, Administrators and Explorers! I think they come in handy every turn. Clergy are probably helpful to.

And I thought I was alone out here! Better ramp up my research then.

And I thought I was alone out here! Better ramp up my research then.

We had a revolution this turn since we had not produced a single scientist. (Something to do with all of the religious leaders I think. :nuke: ) Well the people would not stand for it and so out with the old government. Of course our new leader changed his name and promised peace and prosperity and more money in the research budget. :drunk:

How many characters do people get on average per turn? I only have about one. Seems to me that several people have about double. :nuke:

So far (and not going on that many turns), I mostly get one per turn but some turns I've recieved none, and others I've recieved two. Swings and roundabouts really.

It's all probably random and modified by your tradition and government type.

How many characters do people get on average per turn? I only have about one. Seems to me that several people have about double. 

If I understand the probabilities correctly, the expected number of new characters per turn should be 1.275 - (.00255 x (curr. # of char.)).

Since the generation of new characters is determined separately for each of the ten categories of characters, the odds are about one-in-eight for each type. This brings in the rule of thumb that the lower the probability of an individual event, the greater the apparent variation. (i.e.-It looks more unfair than it actually is. No fix is in, just dumb luck.) From the expectations, I should have gotten three explorers by now: I have the one with which I started the game.

Pirate Rules of War:

1. Brawn beats brains most of the time. (well so far 100% of the time)

2. Brawn beats colonizer any day of the week.

As a brawn you want to meet a colonizer. All it takes is some very specialized attacks I developed and BOOOMMMM 500 berthings go up in flame. That takes the wind out of a colonizer and they will drop (NOW HERE COME THE POSTS ABOUT HOW PEOPLE NEVER DROP...RIGHT...SURE....OF COURSE).

Colonizers have great industrial base and horizon techs so you should outgun them.

Brains get tougher but land a division on their home world and the tiny/weak/decrepit makes you laugh...

But hey that's my 2cents.

Having fun....in space

PS - I could of course moan and groan and make sly remarks about game mechanics (but I'll leave that to other players)