Rolling Thunder Forums

Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

If you look at the first ~30 messages from this thread, it shows it was every other week in 2003. Funny to look at those messages.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wooeeee now that's what I call a multi-day engagement.  Lost power to the port nacelle due to an intense solar flare (biggest n'or'easter in decades) (note this was Friday 10 days back, not just 3 days ago); engineering fixed that up at 0-dark-thirty.  Good going Saturday and Sunday (again, this was a week ago, not this past weekend).  Power conduits blew the following Monday; power good to parts of the ship but not all parts.  Internet up but spotty.  Tuesday everything went down.  Fired off an Omega Drone to Russ via courier but all he could do was watch from afar.  Wednesday comes around, repair crews find a bad phase--only one 120v line coming in the main conduits working, other one out.  Causing all sorts of weird fluctuations.  Fixed that up, power back Wednesday and Thursday but Internet real spotty.  Still some weird stuff going on, power dimming, cable modem lights up but often losing connection, only to reconnect.  Sketchy but functional, barely.  On long enough to get orders from various government factions (that's you guys).  Power running via an emergency backup power supply good enough to get the orders mostly processed.  Friday morning big explosion, all power out.  Internet gone.  Can't finish up those government orders, but oh so close. More repair crews showed up, this time from the main Fleet Base at Andromeda Prime.  Found the problem, bad neutral ground line on their part.  Not really a bad line--it was just, well, gone.  Sheared completely away and sent to the-void-only-knows where. That's much worse than the missing phase earlier in the week.  No good ground means weird power fluctuations, explaining Wednesday and Thursday weirdness.  Voltage spiking and falling in bizarre increments until it blew, not good.  Fixed that up.  Power back, but Fleet Comms (internet) still out.  Modems light up but can't connect.  DMX probably to blame, who knows.  Power's rock solid, though--finally.  Finished off the processing and got hard copies printed.  Stuffed, sealed, down to Fleet Courier HQ (post office) Saturday morning, hard copies gone, go baby go.  Emails still no go.  Repair boys at Fleet HQ promise a fix, but not until Monday (today).  They show up early in a big Fleet Tug equipped to handle anything.  Turns out the excess power from the week before found a way to ground out other than the blown neutral line that didn't exist because it had been torn to shreds by the previous week's space storm.  It had found the internet and cable lines and, desperate to ground, vaporized them faster than a Hellfire Cannon melts mere Titanium Composite.  They fixed that all up.  Back in operation, port nacelle looking good, Fleet Comms restored.

At the end of the day (which lasted a week and a half), the effect was to delay the sending of emails from last Friday (when the turn finally finished processing) until this Monday, today.  Hard copies went out right on schedule, so they weren't affected in any way.  All in all, not too bad.  Sure was an ordeal, though.  Pesky DMX clearly to blame, and this wasn't even Draco!

Feels good to be back in action again.  Sorry for the delay!

The latest forecasts do have us getting hit pretty hard by winter storm Skylar tomorrow.  Looking like 1-2 feet of snow with wind gusts up to 50 or 60 mph.  Should taper off somewhat through Wednesday and Thursday, but it really comes down to how bad the power outages are.  Best to get those turns in to Russ as early as you can; if I've got power I'll certainly push hard to get them out of here to avoid the potential for further power issues later on in the week.  No way to know for sure how bad it will be until the storm starts hammering the power lines tonight and throughout tomorrow.  If I don't have power on Tuesday and Wednesday, well, there's not much I can do.  Just have to sit tight and see how it goes.

The class 4 Ion storm has passed and Starship Fremen has emerged unscathed except for some ion particle debris that needed to be removed from the hull. Let’s hope this thing lost most of its strength after trying to destroy our vessel and has insufficient strength to cause much harm to our northern operating Starship Pete. :D

Andromeda is still deep in the industrial phase, after which I'll work on the data files and pdfs.  That process will take quite a while -- I'm trying to get them done for emailing very, very late tonight, but it could be tomorrow morning.  Hard to say for sure :(