Rolling Thunder Forums

Star League Obituary

Ur Lord Tedric

Whatever the reason and whoever is at fault, the Star League's plans have been thrown in disarray. Now is an excellent time to review policies and strategies - to break out of the rut and add new challenges and spice to the game.

Perhaps they only have Mk III computers. So what? If they are not atcually fighting anyone, its not an immediate problem. With dedicated research, they can improve. And is there no-one in the quadrant who might be interested in trade? I'm sure the Star Leage has much to offer.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete and total trust?  Riiigggghhhht.  So do you mind explaining how a group with such phenomenal intelligence and economic power has lost so much?  Could it be a lack of cooperation between players?  Maybe players ratting out information about their fellows to the enemy so they become more important in the group?  Ever wonder how some battles just don't go as planned?  Or how the pathway through the stars seems like such an open book from time to time for your enemies?  Well, use some of that "phenomenal" intelligence.  And maybe you'll figure it out.  :cheers:

Lost so much? Hmmm... Oh yeah, you must be fererring to your having received all of Darrin's old empire turns that we have been using to experiment with. Nothing like using a set of pathetic setups to try various things with. So when the Darrin's Revenge League follow the known path to the known worlds and clobber an embarassing excuse for an empire you feel proud. You now gain much information, info that you already knew, whereas we know much more about you.

Darrin's empires sucked. They were flawed designs, built by a deranged belief that he understood completely how Pete had designed this game. No empire is a complete waste tho, it can always be used as a bad example and for experiments.

It is good to see that you are proud.

Complete and total trust?  Riiigggghhhht.  So do you mind explaining how a group with such phenomenal intelligence and economic power has lost so much?  Could it be a lack of cooperation between players?  Maybe players ratting out information about their fellows to the enemy so they become more important in the group?  Ever wonder how some battles just don't go as planned?   Or how the pathway through the stars seems like such an open book from time to time for your enemies?  Well, use some of that "phenomenal" intelligence.  And maybe you'll figure it out.   :P

Lost so much? Hmmm... Oh yeah, you must be fererring to your having received all of Darrin's old empire turns that we have been using to experiment with. Nothing like using a set of pathetic setups to try various things with. So when the Darrin's Revenge League follow the known path to the known worlds and clobber an embarassing excuse for an empire you feel proud. You now gain much information, info that you already knew, whereas we know much more about you.

Darrin's empires sucked. They were flawed designs, built by a deranged belief that he understood completely how Pete had designed this game. No empire is a complete waste tho, it can always be used as a bad example and for experiments.

It is good to see that you are proud.

You forgot to mention my good looks, winning personality, and superior ego. Please, if you're going to try and suck up to me, make a better attempt next time. :cheers:

The PA will never win because of the simple truth that should you run out of enemies you will fall on each other.

But then no PA empire has been able to take on the GGT yet either :cheers:

/Locklyn

We accept your declaration of war.

Gee I thought that was a given when you declared war on the entire galaxy in the beginning with your PA statement that you would win and all systems were yours...I've been at war with you ever since you stated that...

/Locklyn

There is a real life historical analogy from World War II (one of my favourite periods in history -- ie, a period at war!) ... .

Italy is being beaten wherever it goes -- by Greece, and by Britain in North Africa.  So its ally Germany helps out in every case, sending troops, aircraft and supplies, even fighting Italy's battles for them, losing some and winning others, but still suffering losses -- all to help its ally.  Then Italy surrenders.

:cheers:

Would this be an analogous betrayal?

It's only analogous, Len, if Star League had actually ever helped out at all. It is truly laughable in your example to compare SL to Germany..."helps out in every case"...not. Fighting my battles? LOL...Name a ship larger than a FF or DD that SL defeated. Suffering losses?...first SL would have to send something worthy of losing. "Help out in every case"...<just shaking head>

In WWII, Germany sent divisions, whole air fleets, submarines...everything they could spare. Another difference being the fact that Germany actually had to fight Britain and the USSR at the same time. Did Germany demand that Italy send equal trade in weapons and war equipment back to Germany?...not.

SL had NO enemy to fight--none. In 2 years time, the amount of assistance was truly negligible compared to friendly or enemy fleet power. For someone who gave little and chanced nothing, he sure feels owed. Now is his chance to pony up and fight on an allied front...oh wait, he quit rather than pull his own 2 years at the front.

I'm sorry to say that it appears I spoke too soon, before I had heard both sides of the story, for which I am truly embarrassed.

/Apologetic Len :P

Well, if anyone can be said to be "winning" the game .. the only person who comes close would be MMB.  Despite the forces arrayed against him, despite the the ins and outs of politics with various groups, despite the changes in various empire ownerships .. there he sits, defiant, and more frightening, still growing through it all! 

So, given that several empires fighting him have now been dropped (leaving them open for conquest, especially Rome), and given the departure of ULT .. can nothing stop MMB's unending desire for conflict and conquest?  Are we all destined to ask his permission before anything is done in the game?    :cheers:

As difficult as it is to completely take out any actively run empire, especially if they control more than a single homeworld, <g> often all that it takes to "win" is being the last one in your neighborhood who refuses to drop out! :P

Never say "die!" (except as a command to your enemy!)