Rolling Thunder Forums

Vic! 89

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Falco would likely break your filter. To hear him tell it, he's single handedly taken on everyone. Who needs N.R. and Norway when you have Falco! Well, I guess everyone needs a cheerleader and he's clearly his own. Cheer away! Your group has had this game wrapped up for at least 20 turns. Congrats! The rest of us are just playing to play.

Not even the Sponge can break my filter and you do not hear the team cheering and gloating. A lot of things have gone wrong the last few turns and Falco is probably elated that -for the moment- we are achieving some results that are worth the price. Although that price is high.

Nine turns to play. If this game had an open end, I am sure we would not survive.

Still a lot can happen in nine turns and a lot of players can win. I have learned from game 87 that a game can be won or lost at the last moment and by a position that noone suspects.

Fair enough Dageraad. You've always tried to project a more even tempered and testosterone free persona. You have to admit though that while Falco may have deleted his last few posts, his post of which I responded to initially was pretty silly. I assume he's not a twenty-something that goes around thumping his chest gratuitously every time he does something even moderately impressive so why do it here? He's clearly a skilled and experienced player, but his most recent 'comments' did little to impress, inspire, cause fear or even engender any consternation on his adversaries part. Just a bit of head shaking.

As for the game still being 'up for grabs,' I beg to differ. While I know it doesn’t serve your groups long standing, savvy propaganda campaign (both public and private) that’s meant to portray you all as relative underdogs, I think we both know where your group really stands compared to the others. That’s OK though. You guys got off to a great early lead and all you have to do now is not suffer any huge setbacks. As I said before, at this point in the game my group is just here to keep it interesting, enjoy ourselves and gain yet more experience along the way. Once this game is over I'll be giving it yet another go in a new game. Until then though, congrats yet again!

Falco is a capable, loyal and agressive teamplayer and sometimes a bit enthousiastic in his postings on the forum.

All things being equal it is more fun to be on the side that is dishing out than be on the recieving side.

About congratulating us gain, i wonder about the "again" part.

"We" did not win game 87, Poland did.

Of that team only Falco and me are playing in 89. And if it weren't for the work of two excellent substitutes the territory of the "blue"team would be limited to Iceland only, the "Green"team woudl be gone despite their plucky resistance and the big alliance against us would probably be fighting among themselves.

I was merely referring to my original 'congrats' a few post ago. If that seemed gratuitous, I can understand but that was not the intent.

As for the blue team replacements, I've played with both of the replacement players and informed them immediately of the situation when you made the drop of two of your original members public. Why? Because I didn't want what remained of the game to turn into a pac-man game devoid of anything but an exercise in drone-like logistical planning. What the hell was I thinking! :) If you win, I demand a 'finders fee' for helping to get you two excellent players.

• 2 weeks later...

New map (missed 64, sorry)

victory-map-diplomacy-89t65.png

- The map is not doing justice to the Spanish advance in Denmark. The map is only a snapshot of a very volatile situation, Massed and well-timed advances clashing with a capable defender.

The arrival of reinforcements from its allies has helped the Norwegian position a lot but most of it is still his own work.

- I am aware that the conquest of xAmsterdam probably won't last, but then I might just be issuing propaganda. It looks nice on the map.

- We hear rumors about Austria awakening from its slumber and kicking ass.

- Lots of fighting around xYoshkarola and xUstinov in the east.

- His majesties gouvernment in London was probably surprised by the DW of Canada, making GB the only active neutral power.

- While having nothing better to do her majesties gouvernment of the Netherlands DW'd on Baltic States. That will teach them! Today xRiga, tomorrow the world! To the British gouvernment: lets TA and form a neutral block.

- To Sparafucile: 8 turns to go.

• 3 weeks later...

New map

victory-map-diplomacy-89t66.png

The forum on #89 is quiet, the game is far from over

- Paradrops are getting popular, as could be expected this late in the game. Which major city is next?

- Canada is on the ground in Great Britain. Will they come as liberators or invaders?

- Will Rumania and Germany change ownership yet again?

- Where will the final front in Central Russia be?

- Will there be a final showdown in the Skagerrak?

This, and other questions, will be answered in next turns episode of:

"THE MAP".

-

• 3 weeks later...

Next map:

victory-map-diplomacy-89t67.png

- Some cities taken by paradrop changed hands again.

- The plains of North Germany and the sky above remain an interesting place to be. But a dangerous one.

- The grip around Rumania tightens

- Conspicious moves at sea.

• 3 weeks later...

New map:

victory-map-diplomacy-89t68.png

- We are receiving information that the Middle Eastern nations are moving to a more defensive posture in Russia. Are you still playing over there?

- Norway, Baltic States and Northern Russia are pushing back Spain from Northern Germany and threatening the Spanish position in the Lowlands. After all, still our loyal ally that ahs to be liberated. The Nordic advance is not without cost. Concentrating the pressure against Spain has allowed some of its allies to get in their licks.

- Canada started an all-out air war against Iceland and has been moved from the "Can probably be trusted" into the "Can not be trusted" column. What was it? Tired of Spain nagging about Icelandic paradrops?

• 3 weeks later...

New map:

victory-map-diplomacy-89t69.png

- On the western front, Iceland and Spain are on the recieving end of a vast air war. I regret ever trusting Canada.

With all those extra Munition factories in xShrewsbury Iceland has a Mun surplus. Unbelievable.

- The Norwegians have advanced far into the Lowlands in the third attempt this game to save this ally.

- Balkan nations are slowly nibbling away at the Middle Eastern position in Rumania now that Bulgaria has been taken,

- The remaining population centers in Central Russia are being threatenend by Scandinavian gains on this front.

- Probably just 4 posts left in this discussion untill the end of the game. That is sad. But at least each of them will have a map!

I must have missed something:

Middle Eastern Alliance: 4 nations, current size up to 11

North African/Atlantic Alliance: 4 nations,current size 12

Northern Alliance 4 nations, current size 11

Balkan Allinace 4 nations: current size 5,5

Game 87 was won by Poland, who was one of the smaller surviving nations so anything is still possible.