Rolling Thunder Forums

How do you "claim" a system?

EternusIV

When does an empire have a "claim" on a system?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Ring has been hoping for some time that we would discover a method of communicating our presense in a system without having to:

1) post all of our system names in this forum

2) create dozens and dozens of small fleets to stake out every w.p. (though we are likely to do this anyway)

3) unintentionally blast the bejeezus out of unsuspecting alien ships :)

hu-zah!, Pete. :cheers:

Lord Xaar

The Ring of Vheissu

(p.s., we vote for the 'no colony' option)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

System beacons are a nice idea but we shouldn't have to waste a research center on discovering the tech. We should just have the item added. (With an ANZ also). I need to use every center right now just to catch up with all those point saver empires.

Having a variety of message "slots" to fill and then choose from would be handy. You could then create a zoned periphery.

Ring 1: "Greetings neighbor, you have just discovered Empire X. Contact me at..."

Ring 2: "Please go no further and immediately contact me at...."

Ring 3: "You have violated restricted space. Prepare to be boarded."

I don't think a colony should be required either. However, if there is a colony present (not just an empty pop group), how about allowing the system beacon to NOT decay. That is the colony would take their 'shuttles' out and make sure the beacon gets repaired.... :D

Once system beacons are implemented, I can see the new poll:

"Will you honor your neighbors claim to a system if their system beacon precedes yours?" :D

It kinda depends doesnt it?

At what points would you NOT want to claim a system with a system beacon?

Perhaps you are simply leaving a trail for people to hunt you down? :cheers:

"how about allowing the system beacon to NOT decay."

Interesting. If the signal is continuous, it shouldn't decay.

Multiple empires can place System Beacons in the same star system. The initial placement dates would show who "got there first" and either side could show up and destroy the other's Beacon to wipe out all traces of the alien's presence. How you handle such situations, or indeed defending your Beacons to begin with, is up to you.

This is tricky. I cant wipe out my own...but somebody else can?

Much like an EM wave, floating in space like those MTV reruns...how would you get "rid" of a transmission signal?

It makes better (albeit not precise) sense that a system beacon signal would be good for 20 turns -- regardless if the beacon is destroyed (for whatever reason)

But if I can't get rid of the signal, I don't know why my enemies should be able to. :cheers:

It seems to me, that a system beacon should exist until destroyed/removed. The signal should last 20 turns after the beacon is removed/destroyed and every player should have an equal opportunity to remove it.

My 2 cents after thinking on it some more /shrug

For me a system beacon is simply a sign saying " I have been here, Howdy" They will make no claim to any system in my book. That would require serious material investment or other rationalization. I will be laying them about mostly in the hope of being able to find someone and not to make claims to realestate.

:beer: