Rolling Thunder Forums

How do you "claim" a system?

EternusIV

When does an empire have a "claim" on a system?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that if we all "agree" on respecting others beacons then it also becomes a reason for war when someone decides not to respect one. There is no way of knowing who found the system first. The beacon helps but is surely not the only answer. Even with the time stamp another empire's beacon could be destroyed and replaced with your own. If someone wanted to cause chaos in the game they could just go around blowing up beacons.

Do not like the colony requirement.

Also see some other potential problems.

The JETT order would jetison any other cargo you had on the ship, like other System Beacons. This would mean that a particular ship would only be good for one system. After doing the JETT, the ship would have to go back and pick up another beacon and then head out to the next system. Or to get it done quicker you would have to send out multiple ships, each with one beacon. Any way you look at it, it seems very order intensive. I don't think convoy routes would help much either, as you have to keep adding on to the end of the convoy route order to include new systems and move to them.

I also don't like having to research the item.

And what about systems you've been in for the past 20+ turns? You drop a System Beacon today and it doesn't looke like you've been there that long.

I also don't like the 20 turn decay. To me, this only means more orders.

I know I sound rather negative about the idea, but as it is I really don't think it's that useful.

I have an idea :beer:

How about we simply add a query at the end of every SS order we do?

It would be like this: SS - Fleet Number - Deploy System Beacon: Yes/No

Then create a new order - ESB - "Eliminate System Beacon" that would eliminate the system beacon the very same turn (ignoring physics for game purposes)

For exisiting systems, we could have the option of automatically activiating beacons in every system in our current registry.

Heck - I'd even be willing to issue an individual order for each system to activate the beacon to make up for the dozens of JETT/NM/OC/LC + research that we would have to do to implement the beacons as currently designed.

Fortunately, the JETT order allows you to choose ALL (to jettison everything) or an Item & Quantity. In the case of System Beacons you'd indicate just the System Beacon and a Quantity of 1.

If you plan on using System Beacons, a single Research Center for one turn is a pretty small investment.

There's nothing I can do about systems that you might have passed through already. The whole idea of the System Beacons is to allow you to claim whatever systems you like.

No colony requirement in the system is fine by me. I am looking at adding a new Installation that can be used to maintain your System Beacon indefinitely. This would allow you to avoid any maintenance issues for systems where you have a colonial presence.

Part of the idea behind decay is to let neutral empires' claims decay away, and to force players who want to actually claim a system to periodically restake their claims. This avoids players dropping System Beacons everywhere and expecting them to last indefinitely with no further investment.

Fortunately there is no requirement to use System Beacons as they don't do anything particularly important: it's just a tool that can be used by interested players to stake claims as they wish. If it isn't important enough to invest a single RC and some orders now and then, I'd recommend avoiding their use to concentrate on other things.

Ok, The decay makes sense now. A dropped players beacons will go away.

I also like the no decay idea on colony systems

Now, How to claim a system.

Being a most reasonable Empire, I will let whoever i meet up with claim systems however they want. IE system beacon, or a ship, or blow me up at that system, or just send me a message.

And if we both claim a system we can negotiate.

Being a Reasonable sort, Ill let you play your empire anyway you want, and will not try to impose silly rules on you, as it appears the vocal majority want to do. Marcrohard and those we meet, will negoticate, and decide what rules we want together, or we will disagree and fight.

All the rest of this talk of setting up rules, is boring and usless chatter.

If the Q Republic actually meets another empire, whether it is an Imperial Remnant, Iron Age Arthropods or Space-faring Race (i.e. active Player position), we'll try communication via ansible (FTL radio) first. If that doesn't work we'll use high-velocity message projectiles to make our point clear. :lol:

Although, if you do vaporize one of our Pathfinders we won't be too upset, as long as the appropriate donation is made to the Republican Explorers' Widows and Orphans Fund. :beer:

If the Q Republic actually meets another empire, whether it is an Imperial Remnant, Iron Age Arthropods or Space-faring Race (i.e. active Player position), we'll try communication via ansible (FTL radio) first. If that doesn't work we'll use high-velocity message projectiles to make our point clear. 

Excellent! :huh:

Just so you know, I plan to develop more sensible types of Sensor beacons. They will actually be 'floating' Starbars...... :cheers:

NOW, if you blow up one of the Sabeli Starbars, you will not only make us mad, but all of those aliens who frequent them!! :drunk::angry2:

Minister of Imperial Beer Transport

Adjunct to the Chief Brewmaster of the HBOB

[Sabeli Starbars! Coming soon to a system near you!! For Franchise opportunities please contact the HBOB Minister of Franchises at ......

Star Bars?

:drunk::cheers::cheers::angry2::taz:

Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor. Please be my neighbor.............:huh:

On a completely fun tangent ...

How cool would it be to be able to research: StarBars? I'm thinking 2nd Generation Social Science and Advanced Pharmacology as pre-requisites - makes people happy and has liquid recreational pharmaceuticals. :lol: Reduces unrest, maximum benefit of 1 per 100 POP. :cheers: Side effect: decreases chances of production bonus - everybody is at the StarBars instead of working overtime. :taz:

Come visit the local Q Republic franchise of StarBars! Home of the "Total Conversion" Colada and the "Explosive Decompression"®

:thumbsup:

:lol:

Awesome guys!

Had I not taken a Partial Differential Equations test earlier today I could chime in. But mindless laughing will have to do for now :cheers:

I think those are letters that make words and I understand what you are saying overall but my brain is incapable of doing much else but chuckle.

Perhaps I should find my own local Star Bar TM :taz: